Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Space Exploration

Comments

• Options
    Jayajosh said:

Will landing on a comet cure cancer or Ebola? No, so money should spent more wisely.

You could have made the same inane comment when money was being spent on researching laser beam technology or any other of the thousands of other technological developments that have found applications in curing the sick.
  • Options
    Eventually we'll need to expand beyond earth as a species for numerous reasons such as population, resources etc. We're talking hundreds if not more years into the future, way beyond our lifetimes but it will need to happen. This can be tough to comprehend, but then again people struggle to look past a players first game so that shouldnt come as a surprise.

Stuff like space exploration doesnt just occur; you dont just go "right, we need to go to mars" and bam we have everything we need. You build up knowledge though many small steps. This is one of them.

The guys that are working on this are not the same people that would cure cancer or ebola. Physicists and engineers are not biologists.

The human race is going to need to be able to focus on more than one project at a time too.

There are many things that budget could be taken away from to provide for more useful, humanitarian goals. This should not be one of them.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Jayajosh said:

Will landing on a comet cure cancer or Ebola? No, so money should spent more wisely.

lets stop everything and find a cure for cancer. Food production? Sorry guys, cancer. Transport infrastructure? Sorry, cancer. Expanding our knowledge of the universe? Sorry guys, gotta find that cure for cancer.

What a horrifically short sighted and ignorant point of view. Space exploration drives all scientific fields. Who's to say the person who finds the cure for cancer isn't an 11 year old who's thought "wow, space exploration is cool, i wanna be a scientist when i grow up".
    You what, what has transport infrastructure got to do with this? It's my opinion, I say it doesn't really achieve anything other satisfy curiosity, again my opinion, oh what horror. Enjoy your space dust, let's hope it achieves something more than the wasted millions or billions that have been incurred.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

Jayajosh said:

lets stop everything and find a cure for cancer. Food production? Sorry guys, cancer. Transport infrastructure? Sorry, cancer. Expanding our knowledge of the universe? Sorry guys, gotta find that cure for cancer.

What a horrifically short sighted and ignorant point of view. Space exploration drives all scientific fields. Who's to say the person who finds the cure for cancer isn't an 11 year old who's thought "wow, space exploration is cool, i wanna be a scientist when i grow up".
    You what, what has transport infrastructure got to do with this? It's my opinion, I say it doesn't really achieve anything other satisfy curiosity, again my opinion, oh what horror. Enjoy your space dust, let's hope it achieves something more than the wasted millions or billions that have been incurred.
    It does a lot more than satisfy curiosity. I can understand as a topic it might not interest people. However, to say that we have wasted money exploring space is factually incorrect. You can take any number of the examples that people have listed on this thread.

I'll always accept people's opinions, any person's opinion is as valid as the next, but factually you're not correct here when you say millions/billions have been wasted.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    People make statements based on what they have always believed. Lots of other people then give lots of answers, with examples, as to why that belief is erroneous, some of the original people then insist they are still right. I don't get it?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Jayajosh said:

Jayajosh said:

It does a lot more than satisfy curiosity. I can understand as a topic it might not interest people. However, to say that we have wasted money exploring space is factually incorrect. You can take any number of the examples that people have listed on this thread.

I'll always accept people's opinions, any person's opinion is as valid as the next, but factually you're not correct here when you say millions/billions have been wasted.
    You are now generalising the argument and ignoring the question in the first post. I'm talking about spending millions on landing on a comet. The world has benefited from space exploration I agree with that. I agree science is important. Yes, spend money on transport infrastructure and food production. Many people are being deprived of expensive cancer drugs yet we spend fortunes wanting to sniff a comet (it does that believe it or not) and test the chemical make up of its surface. I didn't say it's not interesting as others have suggested, I just think the money should be spent more wisely particularly if it's tax payers funds. I'd be surprised if millions have not been spent on this.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

cabbles said:

Jayajosh said:

Jayajosh said:

You are now generalising the argument and ignoring the question in the first post. I'm talking about spending millions on landing on a comet. The world has benefited from space exploration I agree with that. I agree science is important. Yes, spend money on transport infrastructure and food production. Many people are being deprived of expensive cancer drugs yet we spend fortunes wanting to sniff a comet (it does that believe it or not) and test the chemical make up of its surface. I didn't say it's not interesting as others have suggested, I just think the money should be spent more wisely particularly if it's tax payers funds. I'd be surprised if millions have not been spent on this.
    What landing on the comet really boils down to is we want to know what creates life. Surely that's the most noble endeavour you can think of? The question in the OP was about space exploration generally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, take your point regarding the OP, my original point was about the money spent landing on the comet. Quite ironic though that scientists are looking to discover what creates life when I'm whinging about spending money where lives can be saved. Please do ignore me I lost somebody close to me recently and have strong views on the subject, so trying not to offend if I can.
  • Options
    This is a direct answer from ESA on why they believe it is worth spending a huge amount of money on studying comets in space:

ESA’s task is to explore the unknown. In the case of Rosetta, scientists will be learning about comets, objects that have fascinated mankind for millennia. Comets are thought to be the most primitive objects in the Solar System, the building blocks from which the planets were made. So Rosetta will provide exciting new insights into how the planets (including Earth) were born and how life began.

It is important to consider that what may seem pure science ends up contributing to the store of human knowledge, and the advancement of knowledge always has relevance to everyday life, in the practical as well as the philosophical sense. Many technologies developed for space eventually lead to advances in other areas, though it is very difficult to predict when and how basic knowledge will result in practical benefits. If there had not been a need for particle physicists to share data, there would be no World Wide Web.

There are also direct spin-offs, like Rosetta’s advanced solar cell technology.

ESA is very careful to optimise the financial resources available in order to get the maximum profit, in terms of scientific results, technology and – last but not least – advances for European industry.

The educational fallout from major science endeavours should also not be underestimated. Missions like Rosetta are inspiring and fascinating, and help to get more young people interested in science, including many who may eventually choose a scientific career.

• Options
    But they would say that wouldn't they....?

I don't think it is a waste of money by the way.
  • Options
    @Jayajosh‌ I hear you. I'm currently going through the horrible experience of watching someone I love dearly be eaten and taken away by that illness. I also see that someday probably not too far away a finite cure for most cancers will be found. As will a cure for type 1 diabetes and at least a better course of medicine for dementia. Biologists are not astrophysics though mate, what they are though is innovators and proper engineers. They do what they do and it costs what is costs. And fingers crossed they stumble upon a few more good ideas along the way
  • Options
    Every space mission makes the likelihood of there being a talking snake decrease
  • Options

Every space mission makes the likelihood of there being a talking snake decrease

but there might be a binary god
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ9Hk7isjm8
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

cabbles said:

Jayajosh said:

Jayajosh said:

Fair point. I was responding to the passage where you referenced 'space dust'.

I'm still inclined to agree with @stoneroses19‌ - there are always very specific reasons either NASA or the ESA carry out any missions these days. They more than anyone are aware of the costs of the missions and are scrutinised to the nth degree around funding.

It wasn't good to read today that the probe has actually landed in the shade and they are having to debate about how best to manoeuvre it back into the light (or not at all).

Like I say I understand people's reactions when they hear of the initial costs involved, but space exploration (including the comet landing), educates us, and that can only be a good thing.

• Options
    Jayajosh said:

cabbles said:

Jayajosh said:

Jayajosh said:

Much progress in fighting cancer has come from understanding how life is formed, how cells multiply. Comets are thought to have brought the building blocks of life on Earth so who knows what we might learn. As one of the scientists said yesterday, if you don't care about where the world came from its hardly worth you getting up in the morning. Tax payers funds are spent on lots of things you might not agree with, doesn't make the spending unwise just because you don't agree. Presumably you give all your money to charity and don't spend it unwisely on football and having a computer, an internet connection, holidays, a car and Xmas.

You don't have an argument or a case, you have an irrational opinion.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I think this article puts it nicely into context. The cost of funding the Rosetta project works out at €3.50 per head for each European citizen. That's less than half the cost of going to the cinema to watch some mindless space film that will not progress mankind one iota. Even then, there are easy terms on paying the €3.50 because its spread over the life of the project meaning that the average person would have spent 20 cents per year on this. Are the neigh-sayers really saying that money is so tight that we cannot contribute this tiny amount to furthering our understanding of the universe?

http://scienceogram.org/blog/2014/11/rosetta-comet-esa-lander-cost/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2014
    It all adds up. 20 cents here, 20 cents there... :-)
  • Options
    Ooh I know, after 17.5 years you find you've shelled out €3.50 ;-)
  • Options
    F**k it, I'll be in my cave if anyone needs me.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I think this article puts it nicely into context. The cost of funding the Rosetta project works out at €3.50 per head for each European citizen. That's less than half the cost of going to the cinema to watch some mindless space film that will not progress mankind one iota. Even then, there are easy terms on paying the €3.50 because its spread over the life of the project meaning that the average person would have spent 20 cents per year on this. Are the neigh-sayers really saying that money is so tight that we cannot contribute this tiny amount to furthering our understanding of the universe?

http://scienceogram.org/blog/2014/11/rosetta-comet-esa-lander-cost/

Works for me :-)
  • Options
    Thought this site might be of interest to those interested in the final frontier. 

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/solar-system/our-solar-system/overview/

The site depicts the planets, space probes and other points of interest in real time.  Zooming in and out gives a real impression of distance.  Every depicted item is clickable for more in depth data. 
    Wow! That’s fantastic! I’m going to be spending hours on there!
  • Options
    I'm 31 and already looking forward to the time I can retire so I can make the most of my time and continuously use a cool new high class telescope in a nice clear open sky

I'm doing trigonometry at the moment which is nice and relevent.

I just don't have anytime available at present for anything like this.
  • Options
    Fascinated by all things space related, but ended up watching another crappy documentary the other day debunking the moon landings saying they never happened.

To save me trawling the internet I'd like to know is there definitive proof they happened, like for example a probe picking up the landing marks or flag in the moon surface?

Secondly, why has no one gone back there since 1969?? 51 years since man last stepped on the moon. Surely money can't be the only reason, billions are wasted everyday on this planet and think of the kudos for going there again now? I wondered (while drunk) if actually it was all fake and it's never happened after all.....or did they discover something up there that meant it was decided never to take man back to the moon again? 

For a start apparently there is gold up there, which i know would cost too much to mine currently but nonetheless 51 years!!! Why!!?
  • Options
    Fascinated by all things space related, but ended up watching another crappy documentary the other day debunking the moon landings saying they never happened.

To save me trawling the internet I'd like to know is there definitive proof they happened, like for example a probe picking up the landing marks or flag in the moon surface?

Secondly, why has no one gone back there since 1969?? 51 years since man last stepped on the moon. Surely money can't be the only reason, billions are wasted everyday on this planet and think of the kudos for going there again now? I wondered (while drunk) if actually it was all fake and it's never happened after all.....or did they discover something up there that meant it was decided never to take man back to the moon again? 

For a start apparently there is gold up there, which i know would cost too much to mine currently but nonetheless 51 years!!! Why!!?

I don't know enough about this.

All I know is, they stuck a US flag on it didn't they?

Due to the moon's alternate environmental structure... that flag should still be present and in the exact same spot.

Surely a very good rather expensive out of this world telescope, could identify this flag?
  • Options
    We have Photoshop now so it would be easy to fake make fake pictures of the flags on the moon so no one would believe it.

What is amazing is that they somehow managed to fake the moon landings in 1969 without any aid from computers. I've no idea how they did this and suspect that some sort of alien technology was involved.