Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Friday 12th November 1999. Grimsby Town 2 Charlton Athletic 5

2»

Comments

• Wasn't the Pringles miss against Walsall away, I believe the same year?

Ah maybe. If that was on TV too, then my memory is playing tricks. I definitely saw that miss on TV in that pub here.
    I know the Walsall game was on Television over here, I'm not certain about the Grimsby game.
    Just looked it up, you are right all round. Walsall was 4-2. Pringle would have made it five.
  • You are thinking of Walsall Prague
  • Echo all of the above. A great game. Felt bad for all the fans that arrived late. Somehow the coach I was on managed to get there on time. I managed to do every game that season except Swindon away on a Tuesday night as I was ill.

For those that did make it after half time at least you got to see us score. I remember Bolton away on a Friday night, last ever game at Burden Park. IRA or bombing threats that day caused massive congestion. We went 1-0 up with a belter from Kinsella I think. Our coach arrives just in time for the 2nd half when Bolton promptly smash 4 past us.
  • This was the only game I missed home and away that season. For the life of me I can't remember why I missed this one. Great days.

Your dad , CharltonKerry , didn't bother taking you to this he went on the sly , bang out of order
  • edited November 2014

This was the only game I missed home and away that season. For the life of me I can't remember why I missed this one. Great days.

Plastic. You're not proper Charlton, unless you've seen us live v Grimsby on a Friday night.

:-)
  • I was only 10 at the time. My dad also got lost driving up and we were walking to the ground as Grimsby scored their 2nd.

All that aside, it is still in my top 5 away games!

I vaguely remember it all kicking off outside after the game.
  • Got there at HT. First thing that happened was a Grimsby equaliser! Thankfully things improved from there. Haven't been on a club coach since. The driver got lost and was on a one way system in Nottingham an hour before kick off! He then proceeded to hurtle round pitch black country lanes at break neck speed scaring the shit out of all on board.

I was on that coach-remember score updates as we travelled and the shock at a Rufus brace. I never got another coach either after that day...
  • Don't think I could ever forgive him Dave
  • Sponsored links:

• Illic in goal, as Deano made his international debut the next day for Ireland against Turkey in Dublin. God, that was a messy weekend in Dublin, @TelMc32.
  • Hunt and Mendonca were unplayable in the second half. Balls into their feet stuck like glue and we played off them. Very similar to the game at Walsall....a decent contest for a while and then the class came through to the point of total domination.
  • Simonsen said:

Hunt and Mendonca were unplayable in the second half. Balls into their feet stuck like glue and we played off them. Very similar to the game at Walsall....a decent contest for a while and then the class came through to the point of total domination.

They'd have been a great partnership on our return to the Premier League had both stayed fit.

Probably two of the biggest and harshest injuries to end the careers of our players
  • edited November 2015
    I remember listening to this game on the radio in my bedroom at Uni in Portsmouth, so god knows what station in must have been on. I loved watching us then, and that season was memorable. Home games driving up the A3 from Portsmouth, getting home at 1am sometimes for midweek games. Great memories.

Hunt was quality that season. Absolute tragedy for him that he never got a proper run in our first season back at the prem when he fell ill. He could have been that generations equivalent of a Rickie Lambert. A late bloomer in prem terms.
  • I remember listening to this game on the radio in my bedroom at Uni in Portsmouth, so god knows what station in must have been on. I loved watching us then, and that season was memorable. Home games driving up the A3 from Portsmouth, getting home at 1am sometimes for midweek games. Great memories.

Hunt was quality that season. Absolute tragedy for him that he never got a proper run in our first season back at the prem when he fell ill. He could have been that generations equivalent of a Rickie Lambert. A late bloomer in prem terms.

Wonder if Hunt would have been at his peak still when Darren Bent joined us... Now that would have been a partnership to see
  • Andy Hunt was a rare type player who actually improved as an established footballer whilst here.
  • I remember listening to this game on the radio in my bedroom at Uni in Portsmouth, so god knows what station in must have been on. I loved watching us then, and that season was memorable. Home games driving up the A3 from Portsmouth, getting home at 1am sometimes for midweek games. Great memories.

Then having to get up at 2pm the following day ;)
  • Andy Hunt was a rare type player who actually improved as an established footballer whilst here.

And by doing that joined an very small elite group of players... Most players stop by the Valley on their way down through the Leagues
  • Sponsored links:

• HandG said:

16 years ago-oh dear. @mart77 remember this one mate?

I recall having a great evening despite only seeing 45 minutes and not really drinking other than a couple of pints in the Antigallican before leaving. How things change-I typically only see about 20 minutes of games these days and need to be smashed to get through that!

It's been said enough times but that was my favourite ever team and my best ever season-i was 20 years old, all my income was disposable so I could afford trains (and occasional coaches) up and down the country and Charlton were brilliant. I barely missed a game and would love to think those days might be back in my life time. Just need the kids to grow up and Roland to do one......

Now these were the days! Even awful coach journeys couldn't hamper the great laughs. Remember being on the phone to the wife getting a commentary when she told us about Rufus' antics and we were all thinking it was a wind up. Didn't you try and get in on a Junior ticket HandG with the reasoning being that we'd missed so much of the match!