Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Friday 12th November 1999. Grimsby Town 2 Charlton Athletic 5

First Division. Friday 12th November 1999. Blundell park. Att 6,849

Grimsby Town 2 (1) (Ashcroft 25(pen), Donovan 46) Charlton Athletic 5 (2) (Rufus 13 35, Mendonca 62, Hunt 67, Groves (og) 75)

Grimsby: Coyne, Gallimore, Lever, R Smith (Burnett 40), D Smith, Donovan, Butterfield, Hamilton (Allen 70), Groves, Lester, Ashcroft. Unused subs: Buckley, Black, Croudson.

Charlton: Illic, Powell, Rufus Youds (Brown 86), Shields, Kinsella (Salako 82), K Jones, Robinson, Stuart, Mendonca, Hunt. Unused subs: Barness, Newton, Pringle.

Referee: G Frankland (Middlesbrough)

Apart form his brace, Rufus also hit the woodwork and had an effort cleared off the line.
Four Charlton coaches were held up in motorway traffic and many fans only arrived in time to see Mendonca put Charlton 3-2 up in the 62nd minute.

Charlton scored 79 goals in their 46 league fixtures, 42 of which were away from home. Andy Hunt top scored with 25 (24 in the league) and was the only Addick to reach double figures in this title winning season.

Comments

• Drove to this one. Left at noon and arrived at 7:30pm. Horrific drive up. All worth it though!
  • This was a black, black and even a BLACK day in Grimsby's history .. The return of superhero and fisherman's best friend Mendonca in a terrific CAFC side .. AND he scored .... There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth in Freeman Street that night .. no fatted calf was slain and roasted in honour of the return of the prodigal
  • Wasnt this one on the TV as well?
  • Was on a coach that turned up after kick off, we were meant to buy tickets on the day and ended up charging the gate of the away end to get in!
  • edited November 2014
    One of my best away days well and truly off my nut.
  • can't see us taking 4 coaches to Grimsby on a Friday night these days !
  • Stayed in Cleethorpes for this , great night out !
  • rang Matt Clarke at 12 lunchtime, what you doing today, nothing, lets go to Grimsby...........so we did, there and back in my postman pat van. Even had a pint after the game in some weird pub by the railway line. As a train went past our beers moved along the bar! oh and we didn't miss KO! great memories.
  • brilliant night out, was working up north and "called in" on my way home, it was about 6 years later that i told my boy i went, he wasn't impressed, think that was the only game he missed that year.
  • A Cleethorpe's weekender. We went up on the Friday and came home on the Sunday.

Great game, great weekend. Tuborg lager & deep fried Mars Bars. Classic.
  • Sponsored links:

• A Cleethorpe's weekender. We went up on the Friday and came home on the Sunday.

Great game, great weekend. Tuborg lager & deep fried Mars Bars. Classic.

not in the same glass I would hope
  • Didn't go to this , but back in the day Cleethorpes was a favourite destination of mine .The Fish and Chips in particular was almost a delicacy .

Wasn't this the game when Antii Niemi was supposed to play in ,but couldn't for a personal reason ?
  • Got there at HT. First thing that happened was a Grimsby equaliser! Thankfully things improved from there. Haven't been on a club coach since. The driver got lost and was on a one way system in Nottingham an hour before kick off! He then proceeded to hurtle round pitch black country lanes at break neck speed scaring the shit out of all on board.
  • i was there.
  • I was there. Sat right behind the goal where it all happened. Even got a chant going. Probably my best away day.
  • A great night. Was foggy around the ground. Mendonca got a great reception, despite his running the show. Saw a few of our boys having handbags in car park after game. Too many shandy's i think. Our fans did seem to arrive at different stages during the game. Not many there though. not much of an atmosphere. Almost earie atmosphere in the night gloom with mist coming in of the north sea.

Not seen us score 5 away before or since, until we hit Barnsley for 6.
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7406450690

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • I was there. Four of us drove up and after the game we drove through the night to Glasgow for the Scotland v England Euro qualifier. I'll never forgive Paul Scholes.
  • Great day that Clive!! Beers after game, and I slept all the way home, remember you waking me up at my front door 6 hours later!!
  • Sponsored links:

• @stockportaddick‌ love stories like that mate
  • Drive Mini Bus up from Hastings, got stuck in RTA on M11, arrived at ground just after Half Time. Allowed by Stewards to park van next to turnstiles, which was great until after the game when the handbags started. Drink in Market Rasin on way back, arrived back in sunny Hastings at 3am. HAPPY DAYS.
  • fatrob said:

One of my best away days well and truly off my nut.

We were fkd I think this was the day jumble had a new best pal called bollard
  • Wasnt this one on the TV as well?

Yep. Watched it in a big Prague Sports bar with Sean the other CAFC fan here at the time and a couple of neutral mates. They had a Sparta game on at the time too, and everyone was puzzled why the group in the corner kept exploding in celebration.

It says Pringle was an unused sub, but I am sure he came on and missed what looked like an absolute sitter although he had to arrive late and stretch at the cross. Anyone else recall that?
  • Wasn't the Pringles miss against Walsall away, I believe the same year?

Ah maybe. If that was on TV too, then my memory is playing tricks. I definitely saw that miss on TV in that pub here.
  • Don't think Grimsby was live on Sky , here anyway
  • This was the only game I missed home and away that season. For the life of me I can't remember why I missed this one. Great days.

Ah maybe. If that was on TV too, then my memory is playing tricks. I definitely saw that miss on TV in that pub here.
    I know the Walsall game was on Television over here, I'm not certain about the Grimsby game.
  • Bradley Allen on the bench for them.