Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Francis Coquelin - pg11 - returned to Arsenal?***

Comments

• Options
    Just watching one of those awful weekend preview shows the Premier League produce for the overseas market and they featured an interview with Coquelin and he has some nice things to say about us, seems like a top lad.
  • Options
    Given a rest by the Gooners tonight.
    0-0 result reflects his impact on the team since he returned from us.
    He should get their POTY.
  • Options
    Apparantly Wenger now values him at £40 million.
  • Options
    Read the other day that Arsenal are in the market for a defensive midfielder. Why? They have Coquelin, is it coincidence that since he went back and has been in the first team that they have had a very good run.

Some of these big clubs sign all these players and don't seem to know what they have got or give these players a chance.

Same with Spurs, they spend fortunes on Lamela and Soldado and their biggest success this year is Harry Kane who was on their books.

• Options
    Halix said:

Hmm.
    If you're talking about his interview with BEIN sports, what he actually said was that if he had bought Coquelin for 40 million in January and then seen his subsequent form, it would have been accepted by the fans but it wouldn't have been as much of an achievement as bringing the player through the arsenal ranks.
    I don't think he's saying he's worth 40M, just that developing an outstanding player is better than simply buying one.
  • Options

Halix said:

Hmm.
    If you're talking about his interview with BEIN sports, what he actually said was that if he had bought Coquelin for 40 million in January and then seen his subsequent form, it would have been accepted by the fans but it wouldn't have been as much of an achievement as bringing the player through the arsenal ranks.
    I don't think he's saying he's worth 40M, just that developing an outstanding player is better than simply buying one.
    That's how I read it also.
  • Options
    I think it can only help us that Coquelin did so well for us. Arsenal have got a number of very good youngsters and if we look to take one or two on loan I am sure Arsenal will look on it favourably.
  • Options

Hmm.

Just quoting the Sevenoaks Chronicle "Midfielder worth a staggering £40 m"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Halix said:

Hmm.

Just quoting the Sevenoaks Chronicle "Midfielder worth a staggering £40 m"

Oh I see. Newspaper in "Blowing story out of proportion" shock.
    :smile:
  • Options
    Have had 2 Gooners in work thank us for making him the player he is. As far as they're concerned, he's improved immeasurably from just that short stay. I think that's a bit over the top, but no doubt a run of games did him the world of good.

Reminds me of when Parker came back from his loan at Norwich.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Read the other day that Arsenal are in the market for a defensive midfielder. Why? They have Coquelin, is it coincidence that since he went back and has been in the first team that they have had a very good run.

Some of these big clubs sign all these players and don't seem to know what they have got or give these players a chance.

Same with Spurs, they spend fortunes on Lamela and Soldado and their biggest success this year is Harry Kane who was on their books.

Of course they're in for another defensive midfielder. They have one passable defensive midfielder in Coquelin and so they need another to get through a full Premier League season and four cup competitions. That's basic squad management. Flamini is on his way out, Arteta is 400 years old and crippled, and I'm beginning to think Diaby is an elaborate myth, so if Coquelin gets injured they have no-one in midfield who can tackle. Just look at how we fell apart this season when Igor got injured and it became clear we had no replacement for him, or how we had to bring in Oldham's second choice keeper when Henderson was out. If Wenger didn't try and get another defensive midfielder he'd be insane
  • Options

iaitch said:

Of course they're in for another defensive midfielder. They have one passable defensive midfielder in Coquelin and so they need another to get through a full Premier League season and four cup competitions. That's basic squad management. Flamini is on his way out, Arteta is 400 years old and crippled, and I'm beginning to think Diaby is an elaborate myth, so if Coquelin gets injured they have no-one in midfield who can tackle. Just look at how we fell apart this season when Igor got injured and it became clear we had no replacement for him, or how we had to bring in Oldham's second choice keeper when Henderson was out. If Wenger didn't try and get another defensive midfielder he'd be insane
    Fair enough but maybe Arsenal have another one in the reserves that could do the job?
  • Options

He came second in Arsenal's POTY vote.

he was also selected in Marca's European young team of the season
  • Options
    Would have not even made our starting line up 8)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    In second place in our poll is Francis Coquelin. The French midfielder was the surprise package of the campaign and received 10.4 per cent of the votes.

Arsenal news editor Rob Kelly gives his verdict on the 23-year-old.

When Francis Coquelin raised his arms aloft as the full-time whistle blew in the FA Cup final, the true scope of his footballing journey must have hit home.

Six months earlier, the 23-year-old just come off the back of a home defeat against Ipswich with loan club Charlton. A return to Arsenal seemed unlikely, let alone a starring role in the rest of their season.

But then fate interrupted. As the Gunners rued the loss of captain Mikel Arteta with a calf injury, the call went out to Coquelin. His recall - a reluctant recall he admits - presented him with a last chance to prove his worth. And how he took it.

His midfield partnership with Santi Cazorla emerged as the season's most surprising success story, the two players’ skill-sets complementing each other perfectly. Never was this more perfectly illustrated than in January’s 2-0 win at Manchester City, a landmark result that saw Coquelin play the anchor role to perfection.

The big performances kept on coming. After coming second in January’s Player of the Month poll, Coquelin took the award for himself five weeks later. His team-mates were at pains to point out the balance he adds to the side, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain describing Coquelin as the first name on his teamsheet.

The Frenchman reserved his most complete performance for the biggest game of the season: the FA Cup final. It was a display of such physicality and maturity that Aston Villa wilted in the face of it.

He took his time, but Francis Coquelin has truly arrived.

WHAT THEY SAID:

“He’s been really good. He’s very aggressive and doesn’t give the opposition much time on the ball, and that’s why he wins so many tackles. Then he wins the ball and makes us tick over. It is quite comforting knowing that one of the midfielders is behind you in position, thinking more defensively.”
    Aaron Ramsey

“He’s shown his individual quality winning the ball and passing it quickly, and he’s very strong in challenges. He also contributes to the balance of the team and that’s very difficult to measure. You know the balance of the team sometimes depends on one player who has some characteristics that the others don’t.”
    Arsène Wenger

“I’ve known him for a long time and knew that he has the quality to play for Arsenal. Now he is ready in his head and you can see that - he’s very important because we are stronger in defence [with him]. He cuts out little balls in front of us and after he has the quality technically to give some good passes.”
    Laurent Koscielny

FRANCIS’ FINEST MOMENTS:

May 30, 2015: Aston Villa 0-4 Arsenal
    Coquelin showed no trace of nerves in the biggest game of his career, patrolling the space in front of the back four and winning the ball with a combination of stealth and physicality. He started the move for the opening goal with a raking crossfield pass and was one of the stars of fantastic team performance.

January 18, 2015: Manchester City 0-2 Arsenal
    Some youngsters would be overawed by the likes of Sergio Aguero and David Silva. Not Coquelin. He was the totemic presence his side needed, winning the ball back, cutting off attacks and feeding the electric Santi Cazorla from deep. A superb performance amid a watershed result for the team.

MICHAEL COX’S ASSESSMENT:

Francis Coquelin has unquestionably been the revelation of Arsenal’s season, returning from a loan spell at Charlton to become a fixture in the first team. Having impressed in his younger years with his calm distribution and intelligent positioning, Coquelin has developed a more physical edge to his game, storming into tackles and scrapping in front of the defence to constantly dispossess opponents. Arsenal’s creative players have shone, but Coquelin has been the player providing the steady platform to allow them to attack.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150609/player-of-the-season-in-second-place...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The biggest near miss in our history (after the winding up order)? He'd probably be permanently ours if Arsenal were only better at keeping midfielders fit.

Was just thinking this. Him and cousins looked unreal when peeters reluctantly put cousins in the centre.
  • Options
    It does seem that every few years we borrow a defensive midfielder from Arsenal who goes back to have a great career, Song then Coquelin. Quality, rather than quantity!
  • Options
    I was listening to some expert pundits on the radio who felt that in the summer the position that Arsenal need to strengthen is defensive midfield. Was only a couple of weeks ago. His rise has been so quick some have not yet noticed!
  • Options
    I think their need for a defensive midfielder is that they ONLY have Coquelin.
    A lot of the top teams play with 2 def mid and even if they just play with 1 they will need cover for him.
  • Options

The biggest near miss in our history (after the winding up order)? He'd probably be permanently ours if Arsenal were only better at keeping midfielders fit.

Was just thinking this. Him and cousins looked unreal when peeters reluctantly put cousins in the centre.
    Could have been our Viera and Petit!

• Options
    Could have been:

'Tal' them about your 'Cousins' 'Gud' 'Coq' & 'Bul' 'Reza'
  • Options
    Out for at least two months. Hope the lad comes back stronger though I'm sure some on here will suggest that he would never have got injured had he not chosen to return to Arsenal. Just ask Joe Gomez.
  • Options
    Don't remember Gomez going to Arsenal, did I miss something???
  • Options

Out for at least two months. Hope the lad comes back stronger though I'm sure some on here will suggest that he would never have got injured had he not chosen to return to Arsenal. Just ask Joe Gomez.

Maybe we should re-sign Coquelin on loan... After all players need to get First Team experience somewhere in their recovery from injury?