Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry Kane

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Currently the best striker in the world imo. For all the talk of how great Haaland is (which he of course is) Hazza only finished 6 league goals behind him in a far worse team and he's absolutely smashing it this season. 

He had a lot of pressure to perform with it being a different league, playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world plus his transfer fee and he's absolutely smashing it.

Can't think of one striker currently who has a better all around game than Kane. 
    See you can flip those comments and say them about Haaland from his goalscoring prowess for Dortmund, to moving to Manchester to the hardest league in the world and breaking the single season scoring record in his first season. 

Both absolutely amazing strikers and both big, robust lads too
    I wonder if this is going to start a new trend, the days of the "small nippy guy" as striker falling out of fashion in favour of these bigger, stronger all rounder types.

It's not new (both Ronaldos arguably fit similar molds,  Shearer was not super tall but was a unit, Rooney likewise etc etc) but Kane and Haaland are probably two of the best and most popular strikers around and it will probably lead to a bunch of the "next Kane/Haaland" being hyped up.
  • Options
    Currently the best striker in the world imo. For all the talk of how great Haaland is (which he of course is) Hazza only finished 6 league goals behind him in a far worse team and he's absolutely smashing it this season. 

He had a lot of pressure to perform with it being a different league, playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world plus his transfer fee and he's absolutely smashing it.

Can't think of one striker currently who has a better all around game than Kane. 
    For context; Haaland scored 37-goals in his last season with Dortmund, that was in 35-games.

Lewandowski scored 56-goals, in 53-games

Kane is already on 20-goals after 17-games

(That includes Internationals)
    In the league 15 goals scored in 10 matches.
    He is simply the best striker England has produce this century.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    sam3110 said:

See you can flip those comments and say them about Haaland from his goalscoring prowess for Dortmund, to moving to Manchester to the hardest league in the world and breaking the single season scoring record in his first season. 

I wonder if this is going to start a new trend, the days of the "small nippy guy" as striker falling out of fashion in favour of these bigger, stronger all rounder types.

It's not new (both Ronaldos arguably fit similar molds,  Shearer was not super tall but was a unit, Rooney likewise etc etc) but Kane and Haaland are probably two of the best and most popular strikers around and it will probably lead to a bunch of the "next Kane/Haaland" being hyped up.
    Yeah I feel like players like Michael Owen would get played out wide these days - Mbappe is the example I guess.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Harry Kane is better than any other striker I've seen for England. Granted I only go back as far as Beardsley and Lineker but taking a look at the runners we have 

Gary Lineker, pure finisher, had not much else to his game but came alive in the area between the goalposts from 25 yards 

Alan Shearer, loved him for England, had more to his game than Lineker, tank of a man and was a danger from 30 yards out, with free kicks as well as having a huge desire to get to any delivery in the box 

Michael Owen, I'd still have been picking this guy for England long after he retired but whilst really knowing what he was doing with runs, dummy runs, channel runs and pulling out wide he was a goalscorer and not one to look to assist a teammate. What a striker though and a clever player in how he became more of a box finisher after those vicious muscle fibre injuries he had 

Wayne Rooney, there was a period of time when he was still a teenager I thought he would conquer the world, so strong with a wonderful ball striking technique, great with the ball at his feet and genuinely frightened some very decent defenders running at them. The problem with Wayne Rooney was Wayne Rooney, he entirely had his own agenda, people loved the way he would be in Ashley Coles way smashing into a challenge with the opponents right midfielder, or picking the ball up deep and looking up to play a long pass which he was very capable of and realising he was meant to be in the area he was looking to play the ball. I genuinely think that red card in 2006 was nonsense, he accidentally trod on Carvallhos spuds no way was that deliberate and he was being fouled by Carvallho anyway. However the red card he got against Montenegro completely unnecessarily summed up how he could not be trusted, that red card absolutely ruined preparation for euro 2012 when he was the captain as well. He was a supremely gifted footballer but thought he knew best and was incapable of holding his position. 

Harry Kane, a few years ago I was scratching my head trying to work out what he did exceptionally to be yielding the volume of goals he was getting but he just did everything well. And has continued to improve, he has been part of a redefining of what a good 9 does in the modern shape of having fast runners wide where the 9 plays almost as a 10 and uses the width to push and stretch defences. Jesus does this really well for Arsenal too. This frustrates casual fans as they think he should be spending the game flapping gums with the opposition centre halves but this way of playing is dreadful for any centre half. You can't follow him when he drops off and Kane then occupying a deeper area of the pitch he isn't expected to be in gives him the drop on getting into the box in space. His hold up play is unparalleled, his build up awareness is exceptional and his ball striking technique is beautiful. Added to this, I doubt he is leading the charge, shirt off ten pints deep, singing "Harry's on fire, your defence is terrified". A genuine role model if that means anything. We will miss him so much when he packs in, luckily he seems to be physically very fit and robust and the way he plays should enable him to be in post until his late 30s. 
    Agree with all the above. 

The way you decribe Harry Kane feels very similar to how we are playing our Alfie May. Hopefully both go on to win honours this season. 
  • Options
    Jeeez he’s fucking good ain’t he. So clinical. Best striker in World football.
  • Options
    Pretty sure his family haven't travelled over with him.
    Knowing someone like Kane, he's probably thrown himself into his football to fill the void and it's showing.
    Fellas on fire!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Very true, both fantastic in their own right and both stepped up. 

Maybe I just have a bias as he's my favourite non-Charlton player,  but I just think he offers so much more. He would have been devastating in that Man City side.

Haaland is a specimen and a complete power house. I think Kane is far more technical and almost mastered the art of striking.

He's the best English player in my lifetime and we will miss him for England when he is done. No player looks ready to step up and offer what he does in terms of ability and play making as a striker..yet
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Harry Kane is better than any other striker I've seen for England. Granted I only go back as far as Beardsley and Lineker but taking a look at the runners we have 

Gary Lineker, pure finisher, had not much else to his game but came alive in the area between the goalposts from 25 yards 

Alan Shearer, loved him for England, had more to his game than Lineker, tank of a man and was a danger from 30 yards out, with free kicks as well as having a huge desire to get to any delivery in the box 

Michael Owen, I'd still have been picking this guy for England long after he retired but whilst really knowing what he was doing with runs, dummy runs, channel runs and pulling out wide he was a goalscorer and not one to look to assist a teammate. What a striker though and a clever player in how he became more of a box finisher after those vicious muscle fibre injuries he had 

Wayne Rooney, there was a period of time when he was still a teenager I thought he would conquer the world, so strong with a wonderful ball striking technique, great with the ball at his feet and genuinely frightened some very decent defenders running at them. The problem with Wayne Rooney was Wayne Rooney, he entirely had his own agenda, people loved the way he would be in Ashley Coles way smashing into a challenge with the opponents right midfielder, or picking the ball up deep and looking up to play a long pass which he was very capable of and realising he was meant to be in the area he was looking to play the ball. I genuinely think that red card in 2006 was nonsense, he accidentally trod on Carvallhos spuds no way was that deliberate and he was being fouled by Carvallho anyway. However the red card he got against Montenegro completely unnecessarily summed up how he could not be trusted, that red card absolutely ruined preparation for euro 2012 when he was the captain as well. He was a supremely gifted footballer but thought he knew best and was incapable of holding his position. 

Harry Kane, a few years ago I was scratching my head trying to work out what he did exceptionally to be yielding the volume of goals he was getting but he just did everything well. And has continued to improve, he has been part of a redefining of what a good 9 does in the modern shape of having fast runners wide where the 9 plays almost as a 10 and uses the width to push and stretch defences. Jesus does this really well for Arsenal too. This frustrates casual fans as they think he should be spending the game flapping gums with the opposition centre halves but this way of playing is dreadful for any centre half. You can't follow him when he drops off and Kane then occupying a deeper area of the pitch he isn't expected to be in gives him the drop on getting into the box in space. His hold up play is unparalleled, his build up awareness is exceptional and his ball striking technique is beautiful. Added to this, I doubt he is leading the charge, shirt off ten pints deep, singing "Harry's on fire, your defence is terrified". A genuine role model if that means anything. We will miss him so much when he packs in, luckily he seems to be physically very fit and robust and the way he plays should enable him to be in post until his late 30s. 
    Lineker was once asked what his secret was for being a good striker, and he said something like, I just stand in space and the wait for the good players to do their stuff . 

As for Owen, I am convinced that he should have laid the ball off to Scholes when he scored his goal against Argentina in ‘98
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Carter said:

Lineker was once asked what his secret was for being a good striker, and he said something like, I just stand in space and the wait for the good players to do their stuff . 

As for Owen, I am convinced that he should have laid the ball off to Scholes when he scored his goal against Argentina in ‘98
    I make you right about the Owen goal (and about Gary Lineker) it is a moment similar to Gascoigne not quite getting to that square ball from Anderton. If I rematch it enough times Gazza gets there and if I watch the Owen wonder goal he dummies it and Scholes pops that across the keepers body into the far corner 
  • Options
    Another 2 in the Champions League.
    19 this season already.

The guy is a joke.
  • Options
    Getting ridiculous now 
  • Options
    He’s crazy good.
  • Options
    Think he gets a goal or assist every 39 mins 
  • Options
    Unbelievable. It's a shame he didn't go to a Man City or Madrid. As good as Bayern are, winning the German league is not reward enough for a career of a player like Kane.  Stayed a couple of years too long at Spurs because of loyalty.  
  • Options
    Leads us to euro glory the club record is null and void
    Yeah, fair point. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Unbelievable. It's a shame he didn't go to a Man City or Madrid. As good as Bayern are, winning the German league is not reward enough for a career of a player like Kane.  Stayed a couple of years too long at Spurs because of loyalty.  
    In hindsight the 6 year deal he signed with Spurs in 2018 fucked him over. If he'd signed a 3-4 year deal he'd have been able to get a move at least 2 years ago. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It did but he's a pretty loyal bloke and he really did want to help Spurs reach the heights he believed they could. Throw in a few broken promises from Levy it has left his personal trophy cabinet criminally bare.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    It did but he's a pretty loyal bloke and he really did want to help Spurs reach the heights he believed they could. Throw in a few broken promises from Levy it has left his personal trophy cabinet criminally bare.
    Is that why he begged for a move every summer? 
  • Options
    ....but less about Henry/Barcelona
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Is that why he begged for a move every summer? 
    And when he didn't get it, continued to pretty much carry the entire club (with some help from Son admittedly.) He could have not bothered just as easily.
  • Options
    He also rejected a couple of moves based on image rights etc as he felt it wasn't best for his wider family etc. He's such a normal bloke but is driven by "records" and being the best he can be as an individual - which seems strange saying as he is obviously a very good captain and wider team playing.
  • Options
    Well tbf Bayern won the title on the final game last season and it looks very competitive between themselves and Leverkusen this time. 

I would say it's still an achievement if he's the one scoring all the goals, as he is. 

Also has a chance to really cement himself in Bayern Munichs history, which imo is roughly the 4th of 5th biggest club in the world. Not too shabby.

Ultimately he's finally playing with players on his level (excluding Son from Spurs) and that must feel rewarding enough.
  • Options
    Braziliance said:

Ultimately he's finally playing with players on his level (excluding Son from Spurs) and that must feel rewarding enough.
    Oh come on now, so what you're saying is he'd rather be playing with Upamecano instead of Big Eric Dier, with the pace of a snail and the turning circle of a super tanker...