Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell - Technical Area

124»

Comments

• Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie.
    Firstly, Chris Powell was an integral part of easily the most (and in fact only) successful period for our club in the last 60 years. He's also one of only 7 promotion winning managers in a hundred years, and 4 title winning managers (2 in the last 80 years) (*thanks wikipedia). So thinking about it, I wouldn't actually say it's that ludicrous to talk about him in the same sentence as Jimmy Seed.
    Regardless, I wasn't intending to compare him or his achievements to Seed, I was just pointing out the stupidity of the principle of this relentless "moving on" from legends demand. Chris Powell is indisputably a Charlton Athletic legend and your pathetic comparison of people's affection for him to 13 year old schoolboys is ridiculous. Sounds to me like you probably suffered a painful teenage elbow in the heart and have never managed to grow up and get over it hence you have the attitude of a dispassionate, miserable teenager.

Oh dear.
    Most successful period? As a player, yes. As a manager, Bollox! I would say both promotions to the prem and the subsequent time spent in the same piss all over a team who won the third division, with the best squad of players paid for by owners who at that time had the money to spend.
    However you carry on your embarrassing man love for an average (at best) manager.
    Now all if the above does not mean I don't like Powell I think he is a great bloke. But the constant elevation to legend status is ridiculous and embarrassing.
    If he was that good he would be managing us now.
    I also notice you ignored the fact he was sacked before the inevitable relegation happened.
    Clearly I was referring to his time as a player, and appreciated that you have at least acknowledged that was our most successful period.

It is not ridiculous or embarrassing, he was a legend before he was manager and still is and always will be, simple as that. Anyway, I'm bored now, think what you like.
  • Options
    Someone is easily embarrassed!
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

(Back to original post via technical area that was on fantasy football show)

Watch the full episode as Keiron Dyer was the guest and gave quite an interesting insight into things.

He was asked about managers asked who the best manager was that gave the best team talk.

He responded..."No it wasnt a manager...was infact a player"

"Scott parker gave the most amazing HT team talk when we were losing and went on to win in the second half"

"Was like something out of a movie gave us all goosebumps"

He went on and on about how good it was.

Dont know what team it was for... either West ham/Newcastle I assume.

Frank Lampard or John Terry once said how a different player used to do a speech before each game at Chelsea and Parker's blew everyone away......but move on mate, he left years ago ;-)
  • Options
    I remember the Parker story in the papers and the press the next day. I can't remember if it was Carlton Cole or somebody but they were awestruck by it. Think they came from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 or something, maybe at West Brom?

Wrote that and then googled... bang on!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9396118.stm
  • Options
    "Scott Parker showed a lot of passion in the changing room".

I never realised he was that kind of bloke.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Dave2l said:

(Back to original post via technical area that was on fantasy football show)

Watch the full episode as Keiron Dyer was the guest and gave quite an interesting insight into things.

He was asked about managers asked who the best manager was that gave the best team talk.

He responded..."No it wasnt a manager...was infact a player"

"Scott parker gave the most amazing HT team talk when we were losing and went on to win in the second half"

"Was like something out of a movie gave us all goosebumps"

He went on and on about how good it was.

Dont know what team it was for... either West ham/Newcastle I assume.

Frank Lampard or John Terry once said how a different player used to do a speech before each game at Chelsea and Parker's blew everyone away......but move on mate, he left years ago ;-)
    Parker did a great speech, then went and watched the game from the stands.

• Options
    10 points out of a possible 12 for Chris Powell at Huddersfield.
  • Options

To be accurate he's played 7, Won 3, drawn 2 and lost 2 since taking over so 11 from a possible 21. Still not shabby when taking over a team in the bottom five. After losing to a last minute goal v boro first game results have been good other than a 3 - 0 defeat to Leeds.

Still, a long way to go but it seems signing a big, physical, experience striker (Holt) was a good idea (did he ever do that at Charlton?) and he's getting others like Scannel playing to their ability.

Was never as good as some people said he would be when he joined and was never as bad as some others said when he left (and have carried on saying ever since as they can't move on) but he is a good manager doing well so far.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Where's the Town Powell hater that was here a few weeks ago now? Probably sat in a dark room somewhere, laptop on hibernate just waiting and praying for it to all go wrong.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Where's the Town Powell hater that was here a few weeks ago now? Probably sat in a dark room somewhere, laptop on hibernate just waiting and praying for it to all go wrong.
    A few on here have disappeared too…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chrissy's views or Greenie's views?

To be accurate he's played 7, Won 3, drawn 2 and lost 2 since taking over so 11 from a possible 21. Still not shabby when taking over a team in the bottom five. After losing to a last minute goal v boro first game results have been good other than a 3 - 0 defeat to Leeds.

Still, a long way to go but it seems signing a big, physical, experience striker (Holt) was a good idea (did he ever do that at Charlton?) and he's getting others like Scannel playing to their ability.

Was never as good as some people said he would be when he joined and was never as bad as some others said when he left (and have carried on saying ever since as they can't move on) but he is a good manager doing well so far.
    Sit on the fence time, makes one appear so considered and sensible, typical Lib Dem ;-)
  • Options

Sit on the fence time, makes one appear so considered and sensible, typical Lib Dem ;-)
    social democrat (small s, small d), anti-fascist, patriot (not nationalist) and atheist but never been a Lib/dem
  • Options
    Keep politics out of politics, vote SDP. I loved that slogan.
  • Options

social democrat (small s, small d), anti-fascist, patriot (not nationalist) and atheist but never been a Lib/dem
    You forgot fashion icon.
  • Options

That's a lot of labels to stick on a cardigan.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    What is this, have a go at Henry day

AFKA saying I "insinuate", SA calling me a lib/dem and now even Airman Brown is making cardigan jokes.

: - )
  • Options

What is this, have a go at Henry day
    : - )

If we had to have an Annual Have a Go at Henry Day, then the select but popular 'No arguments, No Cliques' sub-forum category would be a lot quieter for 364 days a year.

ps. just checked with Dictionary corner and quieter is a word :-)
  • Options

Can you get the club shop to print that on the back of a home shirt. We'd be able to loan a decent striker with the proceeeds