Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell - Technical Area

Comments

• Options
    Greenie said:

I'm not sensitive but I actually find Greenie's comments quite offensive. "Embarrassing". What is football about?! Whatever you think about his departure from Charlton, the man is and always will be a legend of our club for what he did as a player and what he achieved as a manager. It is completely natural for people to be interested in what he is doing an wish him well. I love the man and whilst many probably won't agree, I still hope that one day he'll be back but even if you don't that's no reason to criticise others for maintaining a respect and affection for him.

Jimmy Seed was sacked 60 years ago and we've got a stand named after him. Should we be renaming that the Bob Peeters stand and moving on from and forgetting about Seed's achievements? Football Clubs ARE their history and are nothing without it. I honestly cannot understand why anybody bothers following Charlton if they don't feel like that.

First off I couldn't give a toss if you find my comments offensive.
    Secondly it is embarrassing. Some on here are like 13 year old scholboys who cant cope after being dumped by their first girlfriend. CP this CP that CP watch.....and comparing him to Jimmy Seed is just ridiculous.
    Yes he did some good things for our club but thank god he was removed before he relegated us last season.
    Those with selective memory won't remember that.
    Flying close to the flame there @Greeni
  • Options

Even if he had never been our manager, due to the impact he made here as a player, and the kind of bloke he is, there are a lot of us who would still be interested in how he was doing these days and fondly look back on his time here with us.

It's a shame that for some, their dislike for him as a manager now seems to have consumed any other affection they had for him, and are preventing any understanding of why others are interested in this sort of stuff.

Bravo

Can we just cut and paste this every time someone is "embarrassed" or needs to "move on"?
  • Options

Greenie.
    Firstly, Chris Powell was an integral part of easily the most (and in fact only) successful period for our club in the last 60 years. He's also one of only 7 promotion winning managers in a hundred years, and 4 title winning managers (2 in the last 80 years) (*thanks wikipedia). So thinking about it, I wouldn't actually say it's that ludicrous to talk about him in the same sentence as Jimmy Seed.
    Regardless, I wasn't intending to compare him or his achievements to Seed, I was just pointing out the stupidity of the principle of this relentless "moving on" from legends demand. Chris Powell is indisputably a Charlton Athletic legend and your pathetic comparison of people's affection for him to 13 year old schoolboys is ridiculous. Sounds to me like you probably suffered a painful teenage elbow in the heart and have never managed to grow up and get over it hence you have the attitude of a dispassionate, miserable teenager.

Oh dear.
    Most successful period? As a player, yes. As a manager, Bollox! I would say both promotions to the prem and the subsequent time spent in the same piss all over a team who won the third division, with the best squad of players paid for by owners who at that time had the money to spend.
    However you carry on your embarrassing man love for an average (at best) manager.
    Now all if the above does not mean I don't like Powell I think he is a great bloke. But the constant elevation to legend status is ridiculous and embarrassing.
    If he was that good he would be managing us now.
    I also notice you ignored the fact he was sacked before the inevitable relegation happened.
  • Options
    Haha Ben, have a look at the table when he was sacked. See if you can work it out!
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Careful, you'll get flagged.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the Admins can't have a Flag put onto their posts perhaps they should go the whole way and have an "Arse Lick" option specially available under their posts. It'd be busy.
  • Options
    moo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    (Back to original post via technical area that was on fantasy football show)

Watch the full episode as Keiron Dyer was the guest and gave quite an interesting insight into things.

He was asked about managers asked who the best manager was that gave the best team talk.

He responded..."No it wasnt a manager...was infact a player"

"Scott parker gave the most amazing HT team talk when we were losing and went on to win in the second half"

"Was like something out of a movie gave us all goosebumps"

He went on and on about how good it was.

Dont know what team it was for... either West ham/Newcastle I assume.
  • Options
    Also talked about the fight with lee bowyer...quite funny.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Watch the full episode as Keiron Dyer was the guest and gave quite an interesting insight into things.

He was asked about managers asked who the best manager was that gave the best team talk.

"Scott parker gave the most amazing HT team talk when we were losing and went on to win in the second half"

Think it was this game, West Brom vs West Ham.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/02/14/2351549/west-ham-striker-carlton-cole-scott-parkers-inspirational-speech-
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

This one I think:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9396118.stm (also includes an image of Michael Appleton at the bottom, you've been warned)
  • Options

PL54 said:

If the Admins can't have a Flag put onto their posts perhaps they should go the whole way and have an "Arse Lick" option specially available under their posts. It'd be busy.

As the flag button is to notify admin about abusive posts what would be the point in flagging their posts?
    Wouldn't be on to criticise the management would it - where do you live?
  • Options
    Sometimes in life being a nice bloke goes a long way. Whether it's time to move on or move out...
  • Options

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

As the flag button is to notify admin about abusive posts what would be the point in flagging their posts?
    Wouldn't be on to criticise the management would it - where do you live?
    I don't think you fully understand the purpose of the button.

Cherry Orchard, SE7, how about you? xxx
    Rules are rules