Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ebola case confirmed on US soil (Now UK - p4).

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Good thing they said No to Independence, do you think we were going to let a foreign national with ebola cross the border?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    So this lady with ebola... she went to Sierra Leone, tended to people with ebola and then... got on a plane home feeling a bit iffy and didn't think much of it? And nobody in immigration at either end is thinking "look out for sick people who have recently been treating ebola patients"?! The airline don't look out for it!? EDIT - just read that she flew back via two other countries which I guess has something to do with it.
  • Options
    I thought there was another Scottish person without who hadn't been anywhere or with anyone who.has been near the infected area

We should quarantine every person returning from helping or being out there for two weeks before they can fly back
  • Options
    So, the total number of people infected outside Africa remains at... zero.
  • Options
    Has the second Scottish one been cleared then
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

So this lady with ebola... she went to Sierra Leone, tended to people with ebola and then... got on a plane home feeling a bit iffy and didn't think much of it? And nobody in immigration at either end is thinking "look out for sick people who have recently been treating ebola patients"?! The airline don't look out for it!? EDIT - just read that she flew back via two other countries which I guess has something to do with it.

I did also question this ...she was apparently ok at heathrow but had the fever by the time she arrived in Glasgow ...perhaps it is that sudden but at first glance, it appears a little lax by airport screening. They knew all these people had originated their journeys in Sierra Leone ...in any event, I hope she recovers soon.
  • Options
    Looks like my suspicions were valid
  • Options
    She was screened when she arrived at heathrow as she declared she had been to Sierra Leone but did not display any symptoms then. Only once she was back home did she get fever etc
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

She was screened when she arrived at heathrow as she declared she had been to Sierra Leone but did not display any symptoms then. Only once she was back home did she get fever etc

This is the worry though isn't it. She turns up at Heathrow and says I've just come back from Sierra Leone and have been working as a volunteer at an Ebola centre and don't feel great. Slight temperature but no other symptoms. Don't worry we say to her off you go. Give your 27 colleagues a goodbye hug and jump on an aeroplane to Scotland.

Looks pretty amateur hour to me.

• Options
    Sounds like screening Ebola by numbers. She kept saying she didn't feel well, they took her temperature seven times and because it was within the "normal" range she was free to fly.

So she was probably not infectious according to the experts, and that is all the screening at the airport can be expected to do. It is not the job of airlines to diagnose the diseases of travellers. Screening can at best only confirm the existence of a fever.

Clearly the nurse was feeling unwell, so a fever is not the only sign of Ebola. Have some sympathy with the authorities who all along have said temperature screening is not foolproof. This just proves it.

I wonder why the nurse was unable to take responsibility herself and put herself in isolation, she just went along with the system when she knew more about Ebola symptoms than those authorised to grant her clearance to travel, who were nothing more than trained temperature takers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A British nurse who was diagnosed with Ebola after returning from Sierra Leone is now in a critical condition, the London hospital treating her has said.

The Royal Free Hospital said it was "sorry to announce that the condition of Pauline Cafferkey has gradually deteriorated over the past two days".
    I pray she makes it. Nasty disease.
  • Options
    Sounds grim from the latest press release. A very sobering situation.
  • Options
    Very sad given how she went out there to help. Nothing but admiration and respect for all those trying to help, and this is terrible news. I really hope she can pull through. No one deserves that, least of all those trying to make a difference
  • Options
    Fingers crossed and everything else.
  • Options
    good luck to a brave lady
  • Options
    Pauline Cafferkey is no longer critical. Good news.
  • Options

Has the second Scottish one been cleared then

According to R4 she's off the critical list but not out of the woods yet, so some improvement.

• Options
    Pauline Cafferkey, the British nurse who contracted Ebola in Sierra Leone last year is in a "serious condition" after being readmitted to an isolation unit in the Royal Free Hospital in London. It has been confirmed that the virus is still present in her body after being left over from the original infection.

Best wishes to her - I hope there is the best possible outcome.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope she pulls through. A brave & very caring lady.
  • Options
    Had she been back in West Africa since?

Hope she pulls through
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Pauline Cafferkey, the British nurse who contracted Ebola in Sierra Leone last year is in a "serious condition" after being readmitted to an isolation unit in the Royal Free Hospital in London. It has been confirmed that the virus is still present in her body after being left over from the original infection.

Best wishes to her - I hope there is the best possible outcome.

Royal Free Hospital has announced that Pauline Cafferkey is "critically ill" after her condition deteriorated following a complication of the Ebola infection.

Very sad news indeed.