Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ebola case confirmed on US soil (Now UK - p4).

First case of Ebola confirmed in Texas USA. A significant development in this story I think.

Comments

• Breaking news
    The first case of the deadly Ebola virus diagnosed on US soil has been confirmed by medical officials in Dallas, Texas.

Officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have confirmed the case.

The patient is said to be a man believed to have been infected in Liberia prior to displaying symptoms of the illness in Texas.

More than 3,000 people have already died of Ebola in West Africa.

A handful of US medical workers infected in West Africa have recovered after being flown back to the US for treatment.
  • The pharmaceutical companies must be devastated.....
  • Valley11 said:

The pharmaceutical companies must be devastated.....

Texas is not far from Mexico. Too many poor people there for it not to be a worry.
  • Confirmed in Spain. Just how big is this going to get ?
  • At the outset, basic isolation rules were not followed due to lack of support from the international community. I did my stint on the last smallpox patient on the isolation ship in Dartford many many years back. Even then, the precautions that had to be taken were staggering. Too little too late is my assessment of the current situation, but at least Ebola can be treated relatively successfully if the infected patient happens to live in a rich country!
  • Not until December they can't. that's when the next batch of treatment will be ready. Even then it's only enough for about 1000 people. Better hope it doesn't start spreading more rapidly...
  • The Spanish victim is the first to contract the disease outside of West Africa and contact that they made with the infected person they were caring for was only twice. Once after the patient died. Both occasions protective clothing was being worn. How many if any have they infected ? Ebola is passed on by close contact. Even sweat can carry the virus. I don't think this is going away any time soon.
  • I suspect that more is available than is being admitted to. It would be quite normal in such circumstances to save the drugs for US citizens rather than 'wasting' them on Africans. This is partly because you need good medical facilities for the drugs to have the best chance of success. Sierra Leone is not noted for its medical facilities but there is huge sensitivity about this issue as it leaves the U.S. open to accusations that African lives matter less than US lives.
  • Genuinely bricking it... I am Legend is coming to life
  • Sponsored links:

• Genuinely bricking it... I am Legend is coming to life

Sounds a lot like the show Utopia too
  • Is the disease still effective in colder climates?

Surely it won't fancy venturing over to a British winter.
  • edited October 2014
    Fiiiiiish said:

Is the disease still effective in colder climates?

Surely it won't fancy venturing over to a British winter.

It is not an airborn virus so colder climate makes no difference.

• The danger is someone catching it the slum areas, it will then spread like wildfire. The talking heads on Fox News in the states are already saying America should close its borders.
  • MrOneLung said:

To be fair that is Fox News' default position.

And of course they managed to blame The POTUS
  • Well it has come from Africa and he is African isn't he ?

obviously his fault.
  • The Spanish outbreak involves people living in.....Alcorcon!
  • edited October 2014

The Spanish outbreak involves people living in.....Alcorcon!

Is there a relevance in that Prague or have I missed something?

Really ?

• Sponsored links:

Alcorcon are in our network

Alcorcon are in our network
    Cheers Paulie, Yes SHG really, couldn't give a bollox about the network.

• Will give those "migrants" selling stuff on the streets of Puerto Cruz a wide berth next week....

Doh ! We always do !
  • Dude in America has died. RIP.
  • I wonder if the lovely folk over in IS are going to infect themselves and then effectively become walking hosts. They could come into contact with hundreds of people in the few days before they start to feel rough.

The whole thing is a bit worrying - the biggest problem seems to be the africans not believing its a real problem and just ignoring it and continuing to spread it around. Must be so frustrating for those trying to help out there.
  • What's worrying is the unconfirmed cases. There are reports of whole towns and villages in Africa having been decimated by the disease. The real death toll right now could be in the tens of thousand's
  • edited October 2014
    750 British troops being sent to Africa assist.
  • We are simply not prepared for Ebola at any level. Compared with malaria, Ebola is not a major problem for Africa. But this virus does represent a genuine threat for us, hence the panic that is beginning to take hold in places like Madrid. I am concerned that our medical workers are not sufficiently trained to deal with a virus of this nature. Sod disinfecting protective gear, wear once then incinerate the bloody things! Oh sorry I forgot, that is too expensive.
    I hope with all my heart that I am going to be proved wrong, but if i were a dictator I would most certainly be taking some very drastic and unpopular steps such as refusing entry to this country to anyone coming from an infected area. But perhaps such steps are no longer possible.
  • edited October 2014

We are simply not prepared for Ebola at any level. Compared with malaria, Ebola is not a major problem for Africa. But this virus does represent a genuine threat for us, hence the panic that is beginning to take hold in places like Madrid. I am concerned that our medical workers are not sufficiently trained to deal with a virus of this nature. Sod disinfecting protective gear, wear once then incinerate the bloody things! Oh sorry I forgot, that is too expensive.
    I hope with all my heart that I am going to be proved wrong, but if i were a dictator I would most certainly be taking some very drastic and unpopular steps such as refusing entry to this country to anyone coming from an infected area. But perhaps such steps are no longer possible.

But France is at greater risk than us & you spend time in France. That could mean you would be refused entry to the UK ? Genuine discussion comment, not having a pop.