Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Ath V Middlesbrough|Championship|27 September 2014|Preview, Views, News and Line Ups

Comments

• Options
    We'll lose because i'm going
  • Options
    JT said:

We'll lose because i'm going

"..... Baby please don't go"

;o)
  • Options
    Think we'll lose... :-(
  • Options
    Our tongues shall be tainted by the bitter taste of defeat.
  • Options
    Seeing Middlesborough against Liverpool it was Lee Tomlin who stood out as the danger man for me. Can't see us getting anything from this one.
  • Options
    Can't see us winning this one. 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    “We don’t need to think about being unbeaten, in the last few games, because we are unbeaten we find ourselves defending our leads but we need to be more positive.

“It is about scoring the second goal instead of defending the one goal lead.”

Quote from Bob.

Jackson said, let's stop inviting the pressure after going 1 goal up.

we have been saying this since CP was manager.

I will believe it when i see it.

COYR you know it makes sense.

1-2

• Options
    Horrible record against Boro. However, I have a really good feeling about this one. 2-0 win.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's a bit of negativity on here. Usually it's the other way round (at least on the predictions thread). So, I'm bucking the trend and going for a 2-0 win to the Addicks. Bulot to start with Igor and George up front.
  • Options
    Horrible records have to end at some point, I am thinking Hudders and 43 games before arriving at the Valley Turf in 2011. That day we won 2-0 so I am going with that.

Igor at the double
  • Options
    No compelling reason to think why we should lose this .. and no good reason why we should not get at least a point. I fancy us for the full three.
    M'Boro are a well organised team in goodish form especially away .. BUT: they've beaten 3 strugglers (Terriers, Bolton, Cardiff) and lost at Leeds so their current good away form is a bit misleading.
    We need more 'oomph' up front but it probably won't be there this week, might have to wait until the new year for that. In the short term, bring back Church at least as a starter.

CAFC 2 v Middlesbrough 0

• Options

No compelling reason to think why we should lose this .. and no good reason why we should not get at least a point. I fancy us for the full three.
    M'Boro are a well organised team in goodish form especially away .. BUT: they've beaten 3 strugglers (Terriers, Bolton, Cardiff) and lost at Leeds so their current good away form is a bit misleading.
    We need more 'oomph' up front but it probably won't be there this week, might have to wait until the new year for that. In the short term, bring back Church at least as a starter.

CAFC 2 v Middlesbrough 0

A well reasoned prediction Lincs, until...

;0)
  • Options
    Will never forget that 4-1 defeat on 3rd November 2012 mainly because it came 3 days before one of the greatest games I have seen for those that do forget after being humiliated by Boro 4-1 at home we then took on Cardiff, and went 2-0 down inside 25 minutes, when then went 5-2 before 2 goals in injury time made it 5-4.

I dont think the boro game will be 4-1 again but think it could be 3-1
  • Options

We need more 'oomph' up front but it probably won't be there this week, might have to wait until the new year for that. In the short term, bring back Church at least as a starter.CAFC 2 v Middlesbrough 0

It's the Prawn cocktail over the welsh rarebit for me.

• Options
    1997/98 season. Middlesbrough finished 2nd. Charlton obviously 4th.

We beat them 3-0 at home. So I'll go for that.
  • Options
    The only thing I can think to add at this stage is that Abel Xavier, who used to play for Boro, looks like a photo type negative of Matthew Kelly who used to present 'You Bet'

• Options
    Much too much negativity. We are not the team of the past "so many years" so that history is not pertinent . Our team may not be the finished item yet and many have given views on strengthening, but Middlesbrough are not world beaters either. My prediction 2-1 to us with much hanging on at the finish.
  • Options

Much too much negativity. We are not the team of the past "so many years" so that history is not pertinent . Our team may not be the finished item yet and many have given views on strengthening, but Middlesbrough are not world beaters either. My prediction 2-1 to us with much hanging on at the finish.

Oi veteran, the less said about what you and your Mrs get up to the better!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah yes, another distant memory!
  • Options
    Introduction

Never been there but hell on earth I should imagine

Opposition

Very tired play off contenders

One to watch

George Friend, most articulate player in the division

Line Up

Same as

Prediction

In a tight division a fresh team should beat a knackered one, 2-1 charlton

• Options
    Cannot believe the negativity. My grandchildren are mascots for this game and we WILL win it. I suspect 1-0 ......but we will win.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Cannot believe the negativity. My grandchildren are mascots for this game and we WILL win it. I suspect 1-0 ......but we will win.

That's great, masicat ! Hope they have a fantastic day !

• Options
    Reckon a defeat but being outwardly optimistic in general this week so....2-1 to us.
  • Options

Dont mind giving the Preview a go...

INTRODUCTION
    The matches in 2014/15 continue to fall thick and fast… Almost a quarter of a season gone in this years Football League Championship and Charlton Athletic find themselves in the lofty position of 8th place as they continue to fight for their right to be in the end of season Play-Offs come May… Next up for them in this season long battle is another of the promotion hopefuls: Middlesbrough.

As we enter into the History books between these two sides, the chapter worth commenting on has to be of course “Operation Riverside” which saw the Addicks take 5,000 fans by road, rail and air to the North East for a FA Cup Quarter-Final Replay, that day Middlesbrough would win the battle (4-2), yet the Addicks would return home knowing there would be other fights, other battles to win against The ‘Boro and this Saturday simply marks a new chapter in the fight between these two sides as the Addicks once again look to protect their unbeaten start to the season… the pieces are moving, the lines are set… Let Battle… commence.

THE OPPOSITION
    When you think of Middlesbrough as a Football Club you instantly think of Ayresome Park which of course was replaced by the Riverside Stadium (opened in 1995, almost a life time ago now), you think of players such as Brian Clough (born and raised in Middlesbrough he would go on to make 214-Apperances for the club scoring a staggering 197-Goals in the process), Juninho; the little Brazilian and Fabrizio Ravanelli; the Striker who surprised everyone by signing from Juventus…

Of course you cant forget the Managers and Lennie Lawrence, the man who will always remain a Charlton Legend for his ability to keep the Addicks in the top flight before moving to the North East in 1991, even with Lawrie departing Charlton the man was starting history for Charlton as his replacement: Alan Curbishley would go on to forge one of the most successful periods in our history.

On to the present day though and Middlesbrough are now managed by; Aitor Karanka, best known as Jose Mourinho’s Assistant whilst at Real Madrid… Aitor joined Middlesbrough in November 2013 and has set about bringing top flight Football back to Middlesbrough… Their 2014/15 campaign has begun strongly and the ‘Boro find themselves occupying 5th place after five wins and three, with Charlton having drawn five matches themselves, it’ll be imperative that they take all three points this weekend as they face a side yet to draw this season.

ONE TO WATCH – PATRICK BAMFORD

For me this week the most dangerous player that Charlton need to watch out for is on-loan Striker: Patrick Bamford, signed from Chelsea at the end of August, Bamford has already impressed with his first goal coming from the penalty spot against Liverpool midweek in the League Cup.

With just one goal to his name this season in four appearances, why is he my player to watch well if last season is anything to go by then his scoring record whilst on loan for Milton Keynes in 2013 and Derby County last year certainly shows he knows where the net is, and at 21-years of age will surely be hoping to add to his solitary England U21 cap before its too late.

THE LINE-UP
    Henderson
    Solly – Ben-Haim – Bikey – Wiggins
    Gudmundsson – Buyens – Jackson – Cousins
    Tucudean – Vetokele

THE PREDICTION
    With Middlesbrough having to endure Extra-Time and a marathon Penalty shoot-out against Liverpool midweek they say that teams who have to up their performances usually struggle the very next week,
    2-1 Charlton

Good preview, think you should do it every week (:
  • Options
    2-0 home win.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    My player to watch will be Grant Leadbitter.

Middlesbrough have a wealth of flair players and goalscorers that can hurt you: Adomah, Bamford, Kike, Reach and Vossen to name five.

But the unsung hero & the central cog in all that Middlesbrough do well is Leadbitter. With a good performance, you can almost guarantee that Leadbitter will bring the best out of his teammates.

edit: an extra note - Leadbitter is also bizarrely second on the list of top goalscorers (6 goals) due to being the Boro penalty taker. Might be worth an anytime scorer bet.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Think this will be our first defeat. If we give them as much possession as we have been giving wolves, Brighton, Rotherham etc we will get punished.

Hope I'm wrong and a draw would be a decent result.