Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Give Church a go

It's about time he had a decent run in the side. He deserves it and always wears the shirt with pride. Always gets unfair crap on here. Think he is totally underrated and gives 100% every time.

Comments

• Options
    It's great that he gives his all, but after a while a bit of ability is needed. For a striker he should certainly be able to shoot better, but maybe in this new team his energy could be useful. I wouldn't mind seeing him given a go.
  • Options
    Give Church a go

At what?
  • Options

Why does he deserve it?

He played for the under 21s today. We drew 1-1 and Munns scored after coming off the bench. Give Munns a go I say.

As I said in my opinion he never lets us down, works hard and bar one, is better than what we have got.
  • Options
    If you saw him today you would not say give Church a go.
  • Options
    This is a bigger wind up than pencil case.

He is not better than either Vetokele or Tucadean. He is not better than what we have got. Please behave.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Do you not think he may improve as a Striker with the quality of having Gudmundsson, Buyens and Vetokele around him... the biggest difficulty for Church last season was having to pick up the ball from distance and running at Defences (Something Church cant do).

Instead put him around the 6-yard box with someone else doing that work and he may be able to poach a few goals (i.e. Blackburn last season)
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

There's a big difference playing for the U21's and for the first team

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Did ok in a cameo at Brighton with an assist to his name but Bob's opinion is the only one that counts. He sees him nearly every day in training and clearly hasn't fancied him in the league team line up thus far which is good enough for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    See a piece in the SLP saying Church should start.
    Oh, how I laughed
  • Options

Do you not think he may improve as a Striker with the quality of having Gudmundsson, Buyens and Vetokele around him... the biggest difficulty for Church last season was having to pick up the ball from distance and running at Defences (Something Church cant do).

Instead put him around the 6-yard box with someone else doing that work and he may be able to poach a few goals (i.e. Blackburn last season)

Totally agree with this. He deserves a run in the first team.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    How does he deserve a run in the first team? How?????

Saying he might improve with different players around him is a massive 'might'.

Tucadean is still adjusting to the Championship (hasn't even been 10 games yet) but he done more against Derby than I've ever seen in 90 mins from Church.

BP sees him in training along with these better players and would still rather play Moussa in the hole. Says it all for me.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Ffs so we have a non entity article about how were second bottom in the shooting ranks, then people want to waste these precious few shots on Simon frigging Church. I'd rather build an actual church in the box and see of we can score a rebound off the stained glass windows

Intelligent comment. Well done.
  • Options

Tucadean is still adjusting to the Championship (hasn't even been 10 games yet) but he done more against Derby than I've ever seen in 90 mins from Church.

Yet Church has more Championship goals...

Trouble is that we've got two players from last season (both having complete opposite seasons) under the microscope in Church and Wilson.

Wilson had a good season last year being the best player in a poor team which could be where he excels (i.e. Doesnt have to worry about fighting International / low-Champions League standard players for a place in the starting line-up)... Is almost certainly his first season surrounded by some top players so his Footballing brain may not be quick enough for them.

Church on the other plays regulary with Gareth Bale.. Aaron Ramsey etc... he's played Premier League Football with Reading working alongside the likes of Kevin Doyle and Shane Long so the Charlton team he played for last season was probably the worst team he's been part of, could be a case where his Footballing brain is a little bit quicker so he's expecting to receive balls when he was surrounded by players who couldnt provide him that outlet
  • Options
    Would like to see Church back in the starting line up again and do believe he deserves this chance.You can argue who is better Church or Tucadean personally i don't think Tucadean has done enough to keep Church out now but the wrong option is keep replacing Tucadean with Moussa.
  • Options
    Only issue I've got with Moussa is that I think he should be playing in Midfield rather than as a make-shift Striker
  • Options

Yet Church has more Championship goals...

Trouble is that we've got two players from last season (both having complete opposite seasons) under the microscope in Church and Wilson.

Wilson had a good season last year being the best player in a poor team which could be where he excels (i.e. Doesnt have to worry about fighting International / low-Champions League standard players for a place in the starting line-up)... Is almost certainly his first season surrounded by some top players so his Footballing brain may not be quick enough for them.

Church on the other plays regulary with Gareth Bale.. Aaron Ramsey etc... he's played Premier League Football with Reading working alongside the likes of Kevin Doyle and Shane Long so the Charlton team he played for last season was probably the worst team he's been part of, could be a case where his Footballing brain is a little bit quicker so he's expecting to receive balls when he was surrounded by players who couldnt provide him that outlet
    Eh?...Church has played more games! Like I say, Tucadeans performance against Derby shows more potential and ability than I've ever seen in a Church performance.

And let's be honest, playing upfront for Wales is a given. Who else have they got?? He was hardly deadly against Andorra although I'll forgive him due to the surface.

I've got nothing against the bloke, I just fail to see how he deserves a run in the side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    church is one of worst number 9 ever to wear cafc shirt
  • Options
    churchino will come good
  • Options
    How does he do with Bale in the side?
  • Options
    To be fair to him he's never going to be a real goalscoring threat but while Yann was here we tried to use him in that role. That doesn't suit him and neither does using him as a targetman. I do think playing alongside Igor he'd look a better player.

Maybe that's still not enough but he was part of a Reading team that was promoted from this league, he did a job for them at the time.

Playing a more passing game and having him in a role where he just has to support Igor he might offer something. While the other options aren't convincing I wouldn't mind seeing him get a chance alongside Igor (just never as a replacement for him, or up front on his own).
  • Options

dickplumb said:

Basically... no. Last season he didn't score a whole lot of goals it's true, but when you look at the proportion of shots actually on target it was something like 10%... I would rather have Igor there to actually HIT the ball and maybe score than have Church wafting his toes in the right direction. It's getting the ball to stick up front that is the issue and Church is not the answer to that - no matter who is providing the service.

I could see him being converted to a Wagstaff-style winger with lots of running and cutting inside but he's not going to get ahead of Wilson, JBG, Harriot, Bulot and Moussa out wide.
  • Options
    eug72 said:

sam3110 said:

Ffs so we have a non entity article about how were second bottom in the shooting ranks, then people want to waste these precious few shots on Simon frigging Church. I'd rather build an actual church in the box and see of we can score a rebound off the stained glass windows

More intelligent than calling for church to get a run in the side. We're unbeaten in the league and have scored in every game so far, why the feck would we start playing church?
  • Options
    I actually think he could be a decent foil for Igor. He will run all day and create space for Igor to do his stuff.

I would still start George v Boro bit would have no issue bringing him on.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

eug72 said:

sam3110 said:

More intelligent than calling for church to get a run in the side. We're unbeaten in the league and have scored in every game so far, why the feck would we start playing church?
    Well George was left out on sat, so if that's gonna happen often there's a debate to be had about who should come in.