Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula One Title Race

Comments

• Options
    Make that 2.5.......
  • Options
    Or 1.8 even......
  • Options
    Glued to this. Great stuff
  • Options
    Take that all day long. With the car advantage they have, only a reliability gremlin can lose Lewis the title.
  • Options
    So we head to Abu Dhabi this weekend for the final race of the season. What would have been a relatively simple drive to title glory for Lewis has been complicated by Bernie's farcical double points malarky. We have a driver who has won 10 races to the 5 of another under potential threat for the title and that is not right. Of course it has been complicated by much worse luck in the reliability stakes, plus Rosberg's cheating in Spa. But even so, it remains partially in the balance.

In short - the Mercedes needs to stay reliable. If it does, then it should have the pace for an easy 1-2. Lewis then has the option of staying out of trouble and following Rosberg home to take the title. But reliability is the key word. You just know that if a gremlin strikes somebody, it will be Lewis (and not the German driving for Mercedes....or am I being overly suspicious?).

Anyway - practice 1 about to start. Will we have a big British sporting weekend and the first multiple World Champion since Jackie Stewart in the early 70s?
  • Options
    Son in law flying out there today to watch the race from an ex colleague's luxury yacht ....

Not my cup of tea but would be great for him to see Lewis take the title.
  • Options
    If the situation was reversed, what's the betting that Rosberg would crash into Hamilton first lap?
  • Options
    Good start for Lewis. Looking quick in both short and long runs. And the other teams are miles behind. This should be an easy second place, meaning reliability or Rosberg going in to cheat mode are the only things that can stop him.
  • Options
    Keep calm Lewis. Second is enough and there is more than enough pace in the car for that.

Bring it home and let's get one over the German in sport for a change ;)
  • Options
    I hope Lewis does it, but that both cars are reliable so the winner isn't due to mechanical failure
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amazing start by Lewis
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2014
    Lewis Hamilton now 13 seconds up. Rosberg's Electrical recovery system failed, which according to commentary results in a further loss of power. Massa up to second. Rosberg drops to third.
  • Options
    Yeeeessssss!!!!!! Prince Harry on the radio!
  • Options
    Well done Lewis Hamilton ! Champion driver. Well deserved victory and champion.
  • Options
    Brilliant! Loved the flag being flown on the parade lap.
  • Options
    A great way to win a title!
  • Options
    I'll tell you what, he is a bloody legendary British sportsman. Whilst he isn't exactly Andy Murray, there have been one or two Brits who haven't warmed to him.

But the human side came out with the tears of joy on the podium. And seeing his parents talking and his brother....he is from a normal working class family.

Was going to lump on him for Spoty but his odds are probably already tumbling.
  • Options
    Huge respect to Jenson as well. If McLaren don't sign him up for another season they need a shoeing, top man.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Huge respect to Jenson as well. If McLaren don't sign him up for another season they need a shoeing, top man.

This 100pc.

And who saw the interview when they asked him what his plans were for tonight?

He said 'I will be celebrating with Lewis and getting him absolutely battered!' Top bloke.
  • Options
    Genuine question- what has happened to Jenson after he won the world title?
    Was it poor choice of team or has he lost his edge or is there another reason?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just got back to hotel after seeing Lewis win in AD - totally worry-free afternoon - especially after Rosberg started to slip down the order.
    Great day/night - Abu Dhabi is a wonderful place - absolutely spotless city, nice happy people, no graffiti, a truly wonderful place to have the decider, and weather was magnificent - still need the A/C on even though its winter ! - however, if the place *had* a brewery, they wouldnt have been able to organise a piss-up - took 4 hours yesterday to finally get our tickets after going round the track 2 times (outside of course) - and nearly missing qualifying after getting to the track at 1pm (started here at 5).
    But, even so, leaving that aside - a lovely.lovely place - and FULL of lovely cars too !!
    Well done Lewis - great drive - proved he was the best driver.
    My son said to me after - i wonder what would have been said if it had been Lewis's car that had the problems today.?!
  • Options

He won because that year his car was streets ahead of anyone else. Put him in a normal car and he's a normal driver. Good but nothing special
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Swisdom said:

He won because that year his car was streets ahead of anyone else. Put him in a normal car and he's a normal driver. Good but nothing special
    His record vs Hamilton in an average Mclaren would suggest otherwise. Button is not quite in the top top bracket with Hamilton and Alonso and possibly Vettel, but he's just below that level IMHO, with the likes of Raikonnen and he's good enough to beat those top guys on his day. If he ends up driving with Alonso next season, Fernando won't have it all his own way for sure. He is certainly significantly better than a number of drivers who will definitely be on the grid next season.

As for today, great controlled drive from Lewis after his car did its automatic start a bit better than Nico's did (I'm not giving him too much credit when the computer basically launches the car for them).

Felt for Rosberg at the end though. I think Lewis would have, at a minimum, cruised home in second and got the job done but to have part after part fail on his car and have to watch his hopes slide away while he was powerless to control it must have been extremely tough. He's pushed Hamilton much harder than most expected, and found some resolve to come back at him in the last couple of races. I think he earned the right to fight it out fair and square in Abu Dhabi, so it was a shame reliability did ultimately play a significant part, albeit in the opposite way we had feared.

Props to him for a) insisting on finishing the race and b) going straight to congratulate Lewis. He went up in my estimation as a result.

Let's hope some of the other teams can close the gap on the Mercs next year, as it's been an interesting season but has lacked the added spice of inter team competition. I'm particularly excited to see what Ricciardo and Bottas can do if they can get a genuinely competitive car under them. I also hope we can see Alonso in a decent car again too because he is so much better than the dogs Ferrari have given him to pilot.

• Options
    Surprised it hasn't been mentioned but I see McLaren have finally confirmed Alonso and Button will be their two lead drivers next year.

Good decision I think and glad that JB will still be on the grid next year cos he comes across a proper nice fella and I think he'll be able to push Alonso pretty hard next year. Lets hope Honda have their act together and McLaren have a competitive package that these two can show their talents in.
  • Options
    I see that the FIA have said the final race will no longer be for double points
  • Options

Swisdom said:

His record vs Hamilton in an average Mclaren would suggest otherwise. Button is not quite in the top top bracket with Hamilton and Alonso and possibly Vettel, but he's just below that level IMHO, with the likes of Raikonnen and he's good enough to beat those top guys on his day. If he ends up driving with Alonso next season, Fernando won't have it all his own way for sure. He is certainly significantly better than a number of drivers who will definitely be on the grid next season.

As for today, great controlled drive from Lewis after his car did its automatic start a bit better than Nico's did (I'm not giving him too much credit when the computer basically launches the car for them).

Felt for Rosberg at the end though. I think Lewis would have, at a minimum, cruised home in second and got the job done but to have part after part fail on his car and have to watch his hopes slide away while he was powerless to control it must have been extremely tough. He's pushed Hamilton much harder than most expected, and found some resolve to come back at him in the last couple of races. I think he earned the right to fight it out fair and square in Abu Dhabi, so it was a shame reliability did ultimately play a significant part, albeit in the opposite way we had feared.

Props to him for a) insisting on finishing the race and b) going straight to congratulate Lewis. He went up in my estimation as a result.

Let's hope some of the other teams can close the gap on the Mercs next year, as it's been an interesting season but has lacked the added spice of inter team competition. I'm particularly excited to see what Ricciardo and Bottas can do if they can get a genuinely competitive car under them. I also hope we can see Alonso in a decent car again too because he is so much better than the dogs Ferrari have given him to pilot.

Launch control is illegal, which is why you get good starts and bad starts.
  • Options
    Good to see Button retained, a shambles that it's taken so long though! He'll cost more than Magnusson, but commercially has a far bigger profile, especially with his Japanese connections (Honda being their new engine supplier)
  • Options
    http://auctionhq.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/91/

You buy an entire F1 factory at the above link.
    Very sad.
  • Options

Good to see Button retained, a shambles that it's taken so long though! He'll cost more than Magnusson, but commercially has a far bigger profile, especially with his Japanese connections (Honda being their new engine supplier)

Probably wont hurt Magnusson either... He's had a season learning the trade, can now take a break for a season and learn from two world champions.

And if he dont like being a reserve again its happened to better drivers than him (i.e. Alonso)
  • Options
    Isnt VanDoorne being groomed for Mclaren ?