Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula One Title Race

Comments

• edited October 2014
    4 in a row now for Hamilton. 9 wins over the season compared to Rosbergs 4.

3 DNFs (engine in Aus, brake failure in Canada, being take out by Rosberg in Belgium) compared to 2 for Rosberg.

Twice having to start from the back due to reliability issues in qualy (brake failure in Germany, engine in Hungary). Never for Rosberg.

And thats before we get to the Monaco incident.

The frightening thing is that he could well win the next 2. Leaving it 11-4 in victories.

And then get the normal dose of British sporting luck, conk out in the last race, and lose the title down to Bernie's dodgy double points. Be an utter farce if that happens.

He has thrashed Rosberg this year, as the above stats show.
  • Apart from the last race, Rosberg has had a it all his way and still been second to Hamilton. Just shows how good Hamilton is.
    It would be a travisty if he loese it on the last race double points nonsense. For the life of me I cant understand that one, its like having next goal wins when you were at school.
  • The teams agreed to the scoring format - bit like saying not fair that the 6th placed team who finish 25 points behind 3rd place team can get promotion via the play offs.

Would never see something like getting double points for a goal in footballl, if say, scored away from home in a cup match....
  • edited October 2014
    MrOneLung said:

The teams agreed to the scoring format - bit like saying not fair that the 6th placed team who finish 25 points behind 3rd place team can get promotion via the play offs.

Would never see something like getting double points for a goal in footballl, if say, scored away from home in a cup match....

That's not the same thing at all though is it? Firstly away goals don't count double, it's just the team who scores more away goals wins the tie in the event it's level on aggregate after two legs. That's because it's widely accepted playing at home gives you an advantage so it's perfectly reasonable to use the relative away performance of each team as a way of deciding a tight tie without resorting to penalties. Personally I don't have an issue with penalty shoot-outs but it can certainly be argued that it is cruel that a team game came be settled on an a individual's performance like that and the logic behind using away goals as a decider is reasonable.

Secondly, unless winning in Abu Dhabi is widely accepted to be much harder than winning any other race on the calendar, why should you get more points for doing so? It is, and always was, a bloody stupid idea. To me it sounds like the kind of thing some mad Sheik funding the GP would want to push through to make sure his end of season race still matters and something Bernie would have bent over and taken because money always calls the shots, even more so when you are Bernie Ecclestone.

Couldn't help but think, 'Where's a freak meteorite strike when you need it' when the TV cameras yesterday flashed away from the 'action' to show the Poison Dwarf and Putin embracing behind the grandstand.

• I think two things really stand out this season. Firstly, the sheer pace of Hamilton has come through, especially given the 'reliability' issues and the blatant favoritism of the team towards his teammate in the earlier part of the season. Best driver in the championship by a country mile and, fortunately for him, also in the best car for once. As pointed out by Damo earlier, he's absolutely demolished Rosberg, who is the only real competition for him this season. Will be extremely annoying if he somehow manages to lose it all in the last race due to this ridiculous double points thing.

Secondly, Vettel has shown himself to be a pretty mediocre driver who somehow contrived to be in a car that was light years ahead of the competition for 4 consecutive seasons. Now he's in an average (at best) car and is unable to compete at all.
  • I don't think Mercedes favour one driver over another but there are factions within Mercedes that do.

Clearly Lauda favors Hamilton and Wolf favors Rosberg - you can tell by the way they talk about the drivers.
  • I don't think Mercedes favour one driver over another but there are factions within Mercedes that do.

Clearly Lauda favors Hamilton and Wolf favors Rosberg - you can tell by the way they talk about the drivers.

Lauda rates Hamilton, I would imagine the whole team knows is the best driver in Mercedes.
  • Let's get behind the Brit and for once get one over the Germans.

Might be difficult seeing as he is driving a Mercedes !
  • Granpa said:

Let's get behind the Brit and for once get one over the Germans.

Might be difficult seeing as he is driving a Mercedes !

Built and developed in the UK. In all essence, it is a British team.

Don't think Wolf favours Rosberg after the incident at Spa when Hamilton had to retire after Rosberg hit him -Wolf was furious and said the team would "put it right". Hey presto, next time out, Rosberg has an electrical problem and has to retire...
  • Sponsored links:

• Cmon Lewis.

Rosberg showed yesterday that there is not a lot between them.
  • What a move by Lewis to take the lead. He came from miles back on the brakes.

Will be a travesty if reliability / double points takes this title away from him.

He really is a very, very good racing driver. He his so much more rounded this year. More mature, popularity with the fans at an all time high. And faultless driving.
  • He's great to watch on the track and actually, now both their cars are working properly and consistently, he's showing he has a crucial and significant edge on Rosberg. Would be great to see him and Alonso in the same car again but I doubt that will ever happen.

Whenever I see him outside the car though, with his massive gold chain and diamond earrings, I can't help but think he's a bit of dick. He's just a bit dull and trying too hard to be cool.
  • I went through a stage of the rapper thing annoying me. But you know what, outside of the car, he can wear what he wants and be friends with who he wants and live where he wants.

• Oh absolutely, it's his money and his life. Doesn't stop it making him look a bit of a dick though.
  • Great race that.

I don't profess to know much about F1 but I just don't get why they need to make it double the points for the last race? I really hope the championship is not decided on that.
  • Lewis has totally and utterly battered Rosberg this season. If Nico won it on double points with Lewis conking out it will kill the sport.
  • Oh absolutely, it's his money and his life. Doesn't stop it making him look a bit of a dick though.

If i was banging scherzinger i'd probably walk around thinking i was a bit of a god as well
  • red_murph said:

Great race that.

I don't profess to know much about F1 but I just don't get why they need to make it double the points for the last race? I really hope the championship is not decided on that.

Presumably, for the same reason as football now has play offs. It can keep the season "going" for longer.
    Personally, I dislike the idea.
  • FIA are probably hoping Rosberg goes out this weekend or Hamilton does do enough in the next 2 just to avoid the media storm that would come their way if the latter missed out!
  • Sponsored links:

• FIA are probably hoping Rosberg goes out this weekend or Hamilton does do enough in the next 2 just to avoid the media storm that would come their way if the latter missed out!

Even if Rosberg went out this weekend and Lewis won, if he won Abu Dhabi and Lewis broke down he would still win the title with 5 wins to Lewis' 11.

The farce is that bad.

Even if Rosberg went out this weekend and Lewis won, if he won Abu Dhabi and Lewis broke down he would still win the title with 5 wins to Lewis' 11.

The farce is that bad.
    I think it looks even more skewed if you look at the races they have both finished. IIRC, Rosberg has only beaten Hamilton in a straight fight twice - Austria and Monacco, and even then there were alleged shenanigans in qualifying at Monacco and Hamilton started way back in Austria due to reliability issues in Qualifying.

• If I were Lewis and I could finish in front of Rosberg in Brazil, I would take him out in the first lap in the double pointer.
    I've seen a German and a Brazilian do it and get away with it.
  • edited November 2014

If I were Lewis and I could finish in front of Rosberg in Brazil, I would take him out in the first lap in the double pointer.
    I've seen a German and a Brazilian do it and get away with it.

Risky move. Doesn't always work out for the aggressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPo7wXjgiDE
  • Hamilton has been brilliant so far this season.

It's all going to come down to that last race though - the point system for that is ridiculous!
  • I'm going to Abu Dhabi GP !

Just saying !
  • So just under 10 mins till lights out in the penultimate race in Sao Paulo.

And now is the time when I worry for Lewis. He should be the rightful champion now but that famous British sporting luck is just waiting to come out.

And more than anything, he doesn't have to win ( or even come second today). A third and second next race will do it. He needs to hope for reliability and cruise to a podium today. Let Nico go. He doesn't have to fight him.

And that's what worries me. It is not in his DNA.

• Lewis pushing to try and take the lead (which he was on course to do) and goes off. Just cruise it and take second!
  • edited November 2014
    4 secs behind with 30 laps to go? Go for it Lewis!