Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hospitality - am I expecting too much?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Catering manager should simply go to any premier league rugby club on just one match day to see how it should be done.
    Did a box at Worcester - Fish, Meat or Veggie options - superb, and as a guest I thought I might book one in future myself. Good for them especially as last year demand outstripped supply.

At Gloucester the ordinary punter is very very well served with ales ciders and a wide range of food outlets including pulled pork!

Similar crowd numbers and seasonal occupancy, so it can be done.
  • Options
    I tell you something as an expat. Seems like I can't go five minutes over here now without something being offered which is "pulled" . Think somebody is pulling my plonker. Where the hell did this come from?
  • Options
    Man vs food

Proper smoked, barbecue pulled pork is something to behold. If its caked in sticky sauce it is ruined
  • Options

I tell you something as an expat. Seems like I can't go five minutes over here now without something being offered which is "pulled" . Think somebody is pulling my plonker. Where the hell did this come from?

It's mainly, Prague, for the older generation in that the meat is cooked for longer at a lower temperature so that it becomes soft and tender and can just be "pulled" apart, rather than having to get the hacksaw out!

Should go down well with the older generations who can't chew much these days. I believe it's all the rage in the West Stand!! ;-)
  • Options
    How do you "pull" a piece of pork then, and why does it taste better as a result? And chicken? KFC offer pulled chicken. What the hell will they have done to it?
  • Options
    With a couple of forks
  • Options
    I would guess the same for the chickens too
  • Options
    The half hour wait for the veggie option. Sheesh it would've taken about three minutes to nip out to the stall behind the North Stand and bring something that seems very decent in...complete with a nice salad too.
    The issue here does not seem to be so much about money than attitude and quality.
    I've met this kind of thing before at all levels...a new 'brunch' café called 'Archibalds' has opened in Lee where the attitude of the management seems to be 'everything is too much trouble', I tried them three times thinking it might be a one off, but no they seriously think they are doing you a favour whilst charging you over six quid for very manky cheese on toast!
    Best local place I know of for a lovely light lunch is Mocha at Blackheath Standard.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

It's mainly, Prague, for the older generation in that the meat is cooked for longer at a lower temperature so that it becomes soft and tender and can just be "pulled" apart, rather than having to get the hacksaw out!

Should go down well with the older generations who can't chew much these days. I believe it's all the rage in the West Stand!! ;-)
    Ah ok, I get it. Must give it a try
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How do you "pull" a piece of pork then, and why does it taste better as a result? And chicken? KFC offer pulled chicken. What the hell will they have done to it?

you should've seen some of the birds I've pulled in the Pickwick. Pork doesn't come into it.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

Instead of being sarcastic or having a dig at you ME14addick. I'l give you an honest answer.
    I'm not convinced about the whole hospitality thing. I'm therefore not convinced it is VFM.
    But you are doing it for your Dad and that is far more important than what dinner you get or a lack of mints. He gets to see his team in a relatively comfortable manner whilst enjoying your company. One day, sadly, he won't be able to do so. Enjoy it now, it's priceless.

Thank you Daggs, that is so true. It used to be a lovely day out for him and for us, but it is all the hassle that goes with it these days that is the problem. He still enjoys it, but I know he felt awkward yesterday and he doesn't need the hassle at his age.
  • Options

Daggs said:

Instead of being sarcastic or having a dig at you ME14addick. I'l give you an honest answer.
    I'm not convinced about the whole hospitality thing. I'm therefore not convinced it is VFM.
    But you are doing it for your Dad and that is far more important than what dinner you get or a lack of mints. He gets to see his team in a relatively comfortable manner whilst enjoying your company. One day, sadly, he won't be able to do so. Enjoy it now, it's priceless.

Thank you Daggs, that is so true. It used to be a lovely day out for him and for us, but it is all the hassle that goes with it these days that is the problem. He still enjoys it, but I know he felt awkward yesterday and he doesn't need the hassle at his age. </blockquote
    And that is the important part for me ME14.....
    At his age, CAFC should be celebrating the fact that he, and his family regard this as an important social occassion. To me this about customer service, and listening to your supporters requests. I really do not think having an 'option' at that price is being 'awkward'. I know that Jean ( Fanny) will try her best and and get some positive outcome for you and your father, ASAP. It will not be for a lack of effort. There may well be all sorts of 'operational issues' and I am sure Jean will feedback those on here. Let's give them the opportunity to make arrangements, and I hope that they deliver a decent solution.
    I sometimes represent the trust on the forum, so will be supporting this, hopefully CAFC can resolve this issue before then.
  • Options
    ME14
    Just an idea, and I know it's not the same as hospitality, but what about a meal in the Pilot beforehand then a trip to the posh seats after? Can you use a lounge without the hospitality?
    I know it's arse about face in that hospitality needs to step up to the mark, but it may be a better overall experience for your Dad?
  • Options
    Has made me think this one, for my Dads 75th i have told him i will take him to a game with hospitallity. The game he has chosen is Blackpool in December, i may look for other options...... Gaucho sounds good :)
  • Options

For £60, I'd expect a half time lap dance from Katrien................

To be fair, I suspect that many would pay a lot more than £60 for that. I know I would!

;-)
  • Options

ME14
    Just an idea, and I know it's not the same as hospitality, but what about a meal in the Pilot beforehand then a trip to the posh seats after? Can you use a lounge without the hospitality?
    I know it's arse about face in that hospitality needs to step up to the mark, but it may be a better overall experience for your Dad?

Dad has very limited mobility now and a trip out takes a lot out of him. He finds it difficult getting in and out of the car, so we try to keep that to a minimum. We park in the West Stand car park only a short walk from the reception, then up in the lift to the KP Suite. After the meal, we go down in the lift and there is a short walk through the Centre Circle Suite to our seats at the very back of the West Lower.

Eating elsewhere is not an option as it means too much effort for him, though I did suggest to Dad that we just park in the car park and have food in the car before the match!
  • Options
    On the subject of VFM it's difficult to compare as it's part of the day out at Charlton. There are, clearly, no other alternatives, and the price is relative. Some venues charge less and others charge much more.

The fact that you are paying more for what you perceive as less of a service is, understandably, disappointing but that is what inflation is and it is happening with everything.

The other way to think of it is that this is the true price and in the past you've had a deal that you should have been more grateful for.

With all of this in mind it is difficult for anyone to tell you if it's good value for money or not. That is a decision for you to make yourself. On my son's birthday I took him, his Mum and his grandparents to Legends* for a meal. It was expensive compared to a McDonalds, but much less expensive than the type of resturents we normally go to. The food was very good, it was not Michelen Star, but there were no complaints and the staff there went out of their way to make the day as special for us as possible.

For the money I paid, I wouldn't do it regularly, but I would not hesitate to do it again if an occasion arose.

* now I think about it I'm not sure it was legends - it was the one in the North Stand.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

ME14

Dad has very limited mobility now and a trip out takes a lot out of him. He finds it difficult getting in and out of the car, so we try to keep that to a minimum. We park in the West Stand car park only a short walk from the reception, then up in the lift to the KP Suite. After the meal, we go down in the lift and there is a short walk through the Centre Circle Suite to our seats at the very back of the West Lower.

Eating elsewhere is not an option as it means too much effort for him, though I did suggest to Dad that we just park in the car park and have food in the car before the match!
    That's very important background and context I'd say.

If your Dad enjoys the day out and is a genuine football fan then I'd suggest that you are getting good value for money. The way I'd look at it you're not really paying £60 (or whatever the price is) for a meal, but that instead you are paying a larger sum (not sure how much) for a complete package. It's that package that's important. That said, I do agree that the Club ought to make the experience pleasant and hassle free.

I'd hang loose and enjoy it for what it is. If you or your father can afford it the money doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Thanks Mundell!

The thing that annoys me most is the increase in the cost of the package but a reduction in what we get. The increase over last year's Celebration Suite meal is about £12 per head for silver matches and far more for gold matches, so a lot more than the inflation suggested by KHA.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to quite enjoy the odd trip, but hasn't been worth it for a few years.
  • Options

I understand some people may be a bit sarky about this thread, but the hospitality thing is important as it makes money for clubs. One of the weaknesses of the Valley is that it has relatively low capacity in this area. The reason why Gullivan and Brady are salivating over the Olympic Stadium is not to 54,000 capacity, but the 5,000 capacity in exec boxes. So we have to get this right. And after all @ME14addick is a fan who is prepared to spend more than most, partly in the hope that she is supporting the club by doing so.

But just by contrast I was gobsmacked to see the array of decent food on display outside the North and then a craft ales stand inside. Bloody hell. For 20 years I've been going on about stuff like that, told it's not logistically possible or there is no demand. I guess this is Katrien inspired, since the Belgians know about their food and drink, so I believe that with the right feedback she will get the hospitality sorted too

The 'pie and salad for a fiver' tent was doing zero trade from what I could see.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I eat at home before the game. Comfortable surroundings, service good, although the waitress is a bit lippy sometimes. Also the ability to dine al fresco if the weather is good. All done with minimum cost.

I hope you gave her a tip!
  • Options
    Okay, I nicked this extract from the Ministry of Justice web site. The whole document provides minimum standards expected from caterers at prisons.

Key outputs that apply to all prisons are:

Prisoners will be provided with 3 meals per day. As a minimum this provision will include breakfast, lunch and evening meal.
    Drinking water will be made available to all prisoners at all times.
    A multi-choice (minimum five choices), pre-select menu including a minimum of one substantial hot meal choice per day will be provided for the lunch time or evening meal.
    The menu cycle will be for a minimum of 4 weeks.
    The menu will reflect the diverse needs of the establishment’s population.
    The menu provides information which enables prisoners to make decisions about their menu choice.
    Prisoners are consulted about and can make comments on the catering provision.
    Stakeholders are consulted about and can make comments on the catering provision.

I assume the club did not adopt something similar in its contract with its new caterers?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Crossbars was interesting yesterday

It was awful on saturday ... Only went in there cos my nephew was mascot , and paid £50 for 2 kids and 2 adults . I wont be rushing back
  • Options
    ME14. It's pretty obvious, that even by restaurant standards, the food/drink, is worth a maximum of £35ish.

The rest of your money is paying for the match day experience and ease of access etc.

Personally, I think it's overpriced, but I also think these things always are.

It really depends how much value you attach to the match day experience, ease of access etc etc.
  • Options

What a pickle.

Right up there with, 'the electronic glove box on my Rolls opens too quickly' and 'Why is the eighth bedroom in my house always cold?"

;-)

And it takes me 30 seconds longer to select TV programmes on Virgin :-) :-) :-)
  • Options

Thanks Mundell!

The thing that annoys me most is the increase in the cost of the package but a reduction in what we get. The increase over last year's Celebration Suite meal is about £12 per head for silver matches and far more for gold matches, so a lot more than the inflation suggested by KHA.

I wasn't comparing the price rise to the RPI, just that all businesses are hiking prices for all services. The price of housing has risen massively over the last two years (buying and renting). The cost of food in supermarkets, which is relative, has risen significantly over the same period.

I'm not suggesting that you are ungrateful but maybe, when compared to other clubs/venues the price you were paying last season was cheaper, and maybe too cheap. As Covered End says, it's not just about the cost of the food and it's preparation, they need to pay for the cost of the venue and the facilities that are made available. The ultimate value is what someone will pay for it, and in that respect they can charge what they like because some will pay anything, especially if it is being paid for by a company and is not subject to tax (benefit in kind).

If it is the only way you can provide this kind of 'treat' for your Dad then I would suggest that it is great value for money as the alternative might be not taking him, and/or him suffering discomfort with the physical exertion he would have to go through. That reminds me of private school education or eleven plus coaching. They are both overpriced and, frankly, neither should be necessary, but if it enables you to provide something extra to a loved one, especially if it has a significant benefit, the value can't be expressed on monetary terms. It has to be viewed against what else you could do with the money itself, and I get the impression that for all of your dissatisfaction with that the club have done, the value it adds to your Dad's day is worth more than what else you could do with the money.

In that respect it becomes less about if the club are being fair or not, and more about if you want to continue doing it or not, and I suspect that, for your Dad, you want to continue. All I would say is that if you are going to keep going for the meals etc. I would try not to think about the money and the service you are getting. By all means approach the club but if you end up getting frustrated or, worse, angry you will diminish the enjoyment of the day and, ultimately, ironically, make it less value for money.