Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Managers: Did you love them or hate them.

From Walter Rayner to Jose Riga.( Left Bob out, too soon.)

Like or dislike.

I know some of you CL are black and white in your views but shades of grey welcome (no not that type!)

I think you can be a decent manager but poor for charlton because when you take over, the budget or lack of it,will efect results.

In no order.

Ian Dowie will be 99% hated because he's the only manager given any real money and still only won 4 out of 15. plus palace handicap.

Andy Nelson disliked because he called CAFC fans village idiots.

Bob Stokoe disliked by older fans for poor record: 26 wins from 96 but loved by sunderland fans for fa cup win over Leeds.

Mike Bailey Loved, only 65 games but high win rate of 49.2 (high for us) left too soon as player and manager.

Jimmy Seed Loved, 730 matches. Won the FA cup. 100% LEGEND.

Phil Parkinson disliked + will be Hated by some for the 4-0 at the den. Bailey's shocking pass and penalty miss in semi final against swindon meant his days were numbered. Even winning MOM in Nov did not stop him being sacked soon after. Good fit for Bradford. Bad fit for Cafc.

Just a random 6 to get you started.

Comments

• with PP, he should never have been given the job after his "trial" period so feel a bit for him in that respect.

Lawrence-legend. what he did for our club in such difficult circumstances should not and will never be forgotten.

Pardew-never his fault was it?

• edited September 2014
    Like Powell, Parky, Gritt and Reed

Dislike Pardew and Dowie
  • Chris Powell-Serious Man love for this guy proper legend
    Jose Riga-Hope he is successful was apprehensive at first mainly due to my dismay at Powel going, but he kept us up and am grateful to him for that
    Iain Dowie-a Complete and utter Tool
    Les Reed- Short and very Unsweet, voted in a poll a worst manager of a Football League Club ever says something
  • Liked - Powell, Riga, Curbs
    Felt sorry for - Dowie, Reed, Parky
    Disliked - Pardew
  • Liked them all. At the time.
  • Question for Henry Irving.

What was Walter Rayner like as a manager!

Crook
  • Chizz said:

Liked them all. At the time.

Agree with this up to a point but got severely disillusioned with some during their tenure.
  • Alan mullery
    Ken craggs????
  • Riga : Loved because took over in 24th place, kept faith with callum + Marvin when 99% of us were saying don't play them. Also was not a yes man by playing less network players than CP. Finished in 18th place, mini legend.

Pardew : Disliked, could not stop the rot. the money was drying up and did not look up for challenge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Curbs and Gritt - nothing but love.
    Dowie - I kthoughthe'd be a disaster from the get-go, especially with the Andrew Mills influence and releasing too many players that summer. I do wonder if Murray only appointed him to annoy Jordan, I was willing to give him a go though and in the end I thought the club were a bit too hasty in sacking him. One of the club's biggest mistakes in the last 25 years is getting Curbs' successor wrong.
    Reed - I don't blame him at all.
    Pardew. Enough said - although I thought it was a fantastic appointment at the time.
    Parky - Was up against it but he still failed. The board were spot on to sack him when they did.
    Powell - Love the man, the player and the manager.
    Riga - Got us out of a whole and was possibly mislead by RD, who knows? Forever grateful.
    Peeters - too early to say.
  • Liked - Powell, Riga, Curbs
    Disliked - Pardew

Agree with this, except I didn't feel sorry Dowie. Don't dislike him either, just never thought he was never going to be a good appointment.

• Croydon said:

Liked - Powell, Riga, Curbs
    Disliked - Pardew

Agree with this, except I didn't feel sorry Dowie. Don't dislike him either, just never thought he was never going to be a good appointment.

Only because he was Palace's manager though? As apart from that he was well thought of as a young coach.
  • edited September 2014
    Lawrence & Curbishley = Like

Powell = Like, but no interest in all the "Sir" and man love ballcocks

Reed, Riga, Gritt, Parkinson = No opinion.

Pardew = Liked at first, ended up disliking.

Dowie = Detest
  • edited September 2014
    In my time supporting charlton:-

Lennie Lawrence - Loved him but its when my dad got me in Charlton and I just loved the atmosphere and the feeling of going to football. Really enjoyed watching that era although ups and downs.
    Alan Curbishley and Steve Gritt - Loved them and the pride when we went back to the Valley made it even better.
    Alan Curbishley - Loved him. Can't fault what he did for us. Thought personally we needed a change towards the end and i think he wanted a change as well. Shame what happened after though. Would i turn back time and have him in charge still now, probably. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Ian Dowie - Over spent on bad players. Over all a mistake of an appointment especially when there were other options who would have been a lot less controversial.
    Les Reed - Completely pointless making him manager. Should have been caretaker appointment until a proper manager was signed as this added to embarrassment to make 3 managers in one season.
    Alan Pardew - Never liked him as a manager before he came to us and wasn't keen when he was here. Played some good football but i just didn't like him. Thought my mate was winding me up when he got appointed
    Phil Parkinson - I kinda sat on the fence with him,loved him one week, hated him the next. Had a hard time with funding and being relegated, played a bit defensive for my liking, but he was passionate about the game. Wasn't bothered when he was sacked though.
    Keith Peacock - very brief game in charge. Love him just because he is Keith Peacock :-)
    Chris Powell - Loved the player, loved the manager. Disappointed that he went but he wasn't getting support from board and he didn't buy into the regime which was his downfall. Big respect for him sticking to his guns and because of him i now have a soft spot for Huddersfield.

Forgot Riga - Likeed Riga. Would have liked to see what he could have done with us with a budget. Keeping watch of him at Blackpool.
  • Alan Curbishley - Loved him. Can't fault what he did for us. Never wanted him to go...

Ian Dowie - Fool.

Les Reed - Not a manager.

Alan Pardew - Hated him by the end, liked him at the start... didn't ever sit on the fence with him.

Phil Parkinson - Had a hard time with funding and being relegated Pardew had set in that rot and Parky didn't have a chance of stopping it. He did well with what he had. I was disappointed when he was sacked.

Keith Peacock - Nothing to say really...

Chris Powell - Loved the player, loved the manager. Love the man. really disappointed when he was sacked, but it was him vs the board. The board that financially boosted/saved us. I wonder if he is thinking ''if only I had played ball?''

Jose Riga - Looked a decent manager saved us from relegation... not sure we were guaranteed for relegation if Powell stayed but performances improved under him... We will see how things go for him at Blackpool.

Bob Peeters- Doing alright, I'm not sold that he has any amazing management skills, but he does appear to have an eye for a player. (Ok he's doing very well so far!)
  • Iain Dowie mispent on 2 players - Djimi Traore and Amdy Faye, there rest were good signings. Even Pouso ;-)
  • edited September 2014
    The only manager I could say I hate is Dowie.

Love Curbs and Lawrence, and Riga. (I know Riga's time was very short, but he kept us up, which I thought impossible, and a charming man to meet)

Like Foley, Bailey, Gritt.

Didn't mind Nelson, Pardew, Parkinson or Powell, or even Reed, just out of his depth.

Not including Peacock as he was an interim, but love him anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bob stokoe ex charlton manager who took great delight at sending us down as then manager of Blackpool in 1970 5-0 to them last day of the season On a Par with Pardew as being my least liked (although i was all for Pardew joining at the time )
  • My favourite is Lenny Lawrence, great bloke, excellent motivator, got us promoted whilst playing at a foreign ground. Very grateful to Curbs for the Premiership years, but a bit stubborn for my liking. Les Reed should have been asked to hold the fort, great coach, mistake by Murray making him manager. Loved Powell the player, but thought he was limited as a manager. The rest, some good, some bad, liked Riga but would like to see him elsewhere than Blackpool. I don't think I have seen Eddie Firmani mentioned, but basically same as Chris Powell.
  • Granpa said:

My favourite is Lenny Lawrence, great bloke, excellent motivator, got us promoted whilst playing at a foreign ground. Very grateful to Curbs for the Premiership years, but a bit stubborn for my liking. Les Reed should have been asked to hold the fort, great coach, mistake by Murray making him manager. Loved Powell the player, but thought he was limited as a manager. The rest, some good, some bad, liked Riga but would like to see him elsewhere than Blackpool. I don't think I have seen Eddie Firmani mentioned, but basically same as Chris Powell.

here here !

• Question for Henry Irving.

What was Walter Rayner like as a manager!

Crook
    Walter Rayner was Charlton Athletic's first manager as a professional football team. He was a former Tottenham Hotspur coach. He was sacked after five years and banned from football management because of financial affairs under his management.

Henry Irving, right on the money. Just like walter by the sound of it.

• In my lifetime of supporting (late 80s - present) Pardew & Dowie have been by far and away the best. Curbs, SCP & Lawrence were just in it for themselves
  • Of my Life time:

Curbs - Great manager for us and a high amount of respect for him, nice bloke aswell. The faults would be the constant reminder hes west ham born an bred and slighty over cautious managment (which prob done us more favours then not). For 15 years of management il keep this suprisingly short and sweet otherwise it will go on forever.

9/10 -

Dowie - I want to be objective and say nice things but I cant. Pathetic manager, embarrassing. Shame on Murray for appointing him..partially to get one over Jordan.
    Positive... was the signing of Reid and Carson at the time...Although we had a general manager for those matters didnt we? Dowies input was probably minimal.

3/10 -

Uncle Les - Almost N/A. No previous management and a terrible short term unplanned appointment. He has respectable charlton connections and has wide range of football knowledge, hence why he has had backroom positions at Fulham and premier league southampton. Football management is a different kettle of fish that is unfortunatly not made for him.

1/10

Padrew - Heres a man that thinks very highly of himself. That bolds well for him at 1st...but then the after effect realisation of "actually this bloke is just a prat" all falls down on him, but he, still, cannot see it. Not a nice person and although life after charlton has dealt him a good hand, his mangerial credentials are still very much questionable. He entirely F*cked charlton up with a careless attitude and plenty of abysmal signings that he didnt manage properly. Even with his previous playing charlton connection, I would say I prefer dowie, as dowie is a twat, but super al is something else.
    The luckiest bloke in football... but not one you wana have a beer with.

4/10 - f*cking generous.... but its based on the false hope of premier league safety that appeared quite distant at one point.

Parky - Super als number 2 comes to the surface. I liked him and his head was in the right place. An honest pro that done his best and likeable bloke. I think he lacked major imput on his part for motivating the players for the big occasions. His "transfer budget" limited his potential managerial ability to a degree. He was limited to recruiting shite.
    He had a very good charlton team up until christmas in our 1st season in hell. (league 1) He could have been better but could have been alot worse. He was sacked at the right time and good to see him enjoying success at Bradford.

6/10

Chris Powell - Where do I start? He was a charlton legend before coming back, and has enanced his status as a charlton legend after his tenure, returning for the 4th time as manager; Which was also his 1st managerial job. I along with other fans have expressed their good will on powell alot. Its something I really cant be bothered to do again though I think highly of the man. Love Powell and think he will have a good career in football management. He is still a young manager. Huddersfield success?
    Short and sweet bit on powell...the essay version is for another thread.

8/10

Riga - He done his job and kept us up. Made a big impression for the few months he was here. Absolute respect.

7.9/10 :)
  • Pretty much agree with Dave's markings. I'd probably put Powell down to 7, looking at him just as a manager. The rudder was off last season. Riga I'd only give a 7 due to the length of stay, but he made tough calls at a tough time and did what had to be done. Parky I couldn't give more than a 2. The fourth and thankfully final instalment in Murray's shit manager's series he was too weak on the players, employed awful tactics and signed a procession of shite. Finished bottom of the Championship with one of the highest paid squads. Dreadful judgement at every turn. Slightly less awful than uncle Les who came over like a competition winner who'd got stuck in the job.
  • Too young at the time to give an opinion on Eddie Firmani, my first Charlton manager.

So Theo Foley, great coach, lousy manager.
    Andy Nelson, great manager, lousy coach.
    Mike Bailey, could have done for us what Curbs did, if Gliksten had only realised.
    Alan Mullery, the 'big fish in a little pool' saying, never so apt.
    Ken Craggs, hopelessly out of his depth.
    Lennie Lawrence, the great survivor.
    Alan Curbishley and Steve Gritt, made a good team and did as well as could be expected in the circumstances.
    Alan Curbishley, legend, yes it fell away at the end, but that should not distract what he brought to the club.
    Iain Dowie, a joke.
    Les Reed, a bigger joke.
    Alan Pardew, did not like the man, but is a better manager than he showed at Charlton.
    Phil Parkinson. We declined in each season he was in charge, says it all.
    Chris Powell. Much loved player and did get us out of league 1, but as a manager his playing style was awful.
    Jose Riga. Did a great job in starving off relegation.
    Bob Peeters, too early but the signs are good.

Those that I liked are Bailey, Lawrence, Curbishley, and Riga, with honourable mentions to Nelson and Powell. Hopefully Big Bob will make my top 4 a top 5.
  • I have been lucky in general, of the 7 managers who have been and gone in my time as a fan only two of them have i disliked/hated, Dowie and Pardew like most fans.

I will always have respect for Reed & Parky even if they were not succesful Charlton managers, Reed for what he had done in the past for us and Parky because IMO his biggest failing was not being able to bail the water out of our sinking ship fast enough after the damage Pardew had done.
  • When I was a kid Jimmy Seed was an idol, bit like Shankley was to liverpool, so from him to Jimmy Trotter and Frank Hill both forgetable, then Bob Stokoe, and I read one or two of you thought he was shite oh and I remember what he said when Blackpool sent us down,and remembering what an arsole of a director, we had at the time (his name I wont even type)could you really blame him... he's trying to put a decent side together when this Tosser director is selling the likes of Mike Bailey,Billy Bonds ,Lennie Glover, and Marvin Hinton, yet he still did it, he bought Fermani back, promoted the best midfielder we,ve had for ages Alan Campbell got the like of Ray Treacey Paul Went Gaham Moore Pual Curtis, and I think he sighned Matt Tees, all for f..ck all and got dumped by the fuc... no dont go there, you all know what he did to us,68 that team got us finishing third behind Derby and Palarce, oh and with the bloke he brought in as manager, sorry rant over the rest well Foley okay at times Bailey and Mullery better than Craggs, Lennie great, apart from dumping us for Middlesbough, Curbs brilliant, Dowie not worth a mention Les Reed nice bloke but out of his league really, Pardew and Parkey simular Chrissy Powell loved the bloke, Jose wanted to keep, and Bob, surprised us all aint he...