Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should I eat meat? - Horizon 9pm Monday 18th

BBC2 9pm Monday 18th

after the debate (sort of) in the catering thread I wonder how many lifers will be watching this?

Comments

• Will probably record it an watch later as my Mrs would never watch it!

there is very little, if anything, that could put me off of eating meat.

more than happy to kill and cook my own.
  • There's very few certainties in life but one thing I do know is that I will never eat meat again in my life. It is an alien concept to me now.
  • My new flat mate is a vegan, she was trying to turn me the other day... More chance of me winning the lottery without buying a ticket!
  • Will there be a vegetarian option on the red button?

• Will probably record it an watch later as my Mrs would never watch it!

there is very little, if anything, that could put me off of eating meat.

more than happy to kill and cook my own.

This.

One of the best defences when a Veggie corners you at a party and tries to convert you (don't know if that has actually ever happened anywhere in real life) but still a great point none the less.

I would too be more than prepared to kill an animal in order to aquire its meat. However obviously living in the country we do, we do not have to and it would be pretty pointless to go and get in a car and drive up the m2 and find a field of cows to slaughter..it would actually be insane and likely get me sectioned... but if I lived in a 3rd world country where meat was not readily available at supermarkets I certaintly would.
  • Can I just state that I have NEVER tried to convert anybody. So don't worry.......................
  • Can I just state that I have NEVER tried to convert anybody. So don't worry.......................

How about trying to "turn" MyLeftFoot, AUN ?

:-)

• If his lithe vegan FEMALE flatmate can't manage to turn him Fanny, I don't think my balding self will stand any chance ;-)
  • He could be turned by Fanny I'm sure.
  • That goes without saying SHG.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2014

If his lithe vegan FEMALE flatmate can't manage to turn him Fanny, I don't think my balding self will stand any chance ;-)

Meat makes your hair grow back AUN
  • If his lithe vegan FEMALE flatmate can't manage to turn him Fanny, I don't think my balding self will stand any chance ;-)

Meat makes your hair grow on your back AUN
  • edited August 2014

Summary: 'Don't eat lots of meat, but some is okay'. All about people, and not a jot of thought for the slaughtered animal.
    I wonder if The Valley's new caterers provide anything for vegans? Black tea again, just like last season? Cheers.

you're right, lets murder all the world's farm animals and bankrupt millions of people because hurr durr meat is murder.
  • The animals dont remember any of it once dead you really shouldn't worry

• If it wasn't for the meat industry then 99% ? of the worlds animals wouldn't exist.
  • If it wasn't for the meat industry then 99% ? of the worlds animals wouldn't exist.

I suspect it is slightly less than 99% when you consider that insects are animals. Or even limiting it to mammals, when you consider rats mice etc... But a lot of wild animals are killed and the habitats are destroyed to make way for farm animals. Also, would the animals want to exist; they aren't normally afforded the best of lives?
  • If animals wernt meant to be eaten, why are they made out of meat?

We evolved to eat meat, so cannot understand vegeterians (vegans are just plain weird).

It cannot be healthy to not eat meat (although i appreciate eating too much meat is just as unhealthy). As long as the animal doesnt suffer unnecessarily, then all is good with me.
  • It's freak of nature that they are just so damn tasty? It's their own fault...

So do you advocate cannalibalism too? Is it OK for me to eat you?

I

We evolved to eat meat, so cannot understand vegeterians (vegans are just plain weird).

We have canines because we eat meat - this does not mean that our bodies are 'designed' to eat meat, just that we have evolved this way as a result of eating meat. Studies of the human stomach would suggest that we are meant to be herbivores. Carnivores have a short intestinal tract but a human's is much longer like a typical herbivore.

It cannot be healthy to not eat meat

Really? Try doing a search under this 'vegetarian life span vs meat eater'
  • edited August 2014
    I've only recently begun learning about the green side of this as well. Red meats and in particular beef produce a huge amount of carbon emissions.

The popular red meat requires 28 times more land to produce than pork or chicken, 11 times more water and results in five times more climate-warming emissions.

Then think of the Amazon and other forests’ areas cleared for grazing, and all of the wildlife lost in doing that. That's not to say I'm a veggie but I have toyed with the idea, at current I only really eat chicken, occasionally turkey and you can get some really good quorn substitutes! Oh, and quorn's also healthier and often cheaper.
  • Sponsored links:

I have no idea why, but I pissed myself laughing at this line, getting some very strange looks from work colleagues! They're probably veggies!
  • I'm no veggie, but I did appreciate @Jimmymelrose and @RedPanda 's last posts. Some good thought provoking stuff in there.
  • Is there such thing as a meatarian? If so, I'm one of them.

Don't get Veggies....no offense intended to any of you, just don't get it.
  • It was interesting that the programme didn't really look into all the stuff thats pumped into non organic meat, growth stimulants, hormones, anti biotics etc it did feel that they were treading a safe path and did not want to piss off the meat industry too much.
  • Essex_Al said:

If animals wernt meant to be eaten, why are they made out of meat?

I have no idea why, but I pissed myself laughing at this line, getting some very strange looks from work colleagues! They're probably veggies!

I'm glad someone saw it for the joke it was meant to be :)
  • Plants help reduce global warming.

Animals eat plants.

By eating animals I'm just doing my bit to make the world a greener place and for each veggie I meet I'm forced to take on more of the burden.

You can thank me later.

So do you advocate cannalibalism too? Is it OK for me to eat you?

I

We have canines because we eat meat - this does not mean that our bodies are 'designed' to eat meat, just that we have evolved this way as a result of eating meat. Studies of the human stomach would suggest that we are meant to be herbivores. Carnivores have a short intestinal tract but a human's is much longer like a typical herbivore.

It cannot be healthy to not eat meat

Really? Try doing a search under this 'vegetarian life span vs meat eater'
    The fact we have canines suggest that we have adapted to eaten meat. Thus therefore would suggest that all those years ago, the humans that were eating meat were more likely to survive than those that were not eating meat. Thus we have evolved and therefore are designed to eat meat.

We are not herbevores. Cows for instance have 4 stomachs (they are definately herbevores). We cannot digest cellulose (forms the structures of plant cells) and thus why we shit out intact bits of sweetcorn.

We are in fact omnivores. We have evolved and adapted to eat both meat and vegetation. Thus our diet needs to have both in order to function correctly and to be provided with all the nutrients it needs.

The longevity point isninteresting. There are many co-founding variables. For instance, lots of meat comes either deep fried (e.g kfc) or with high saturated fat content because of processing (burgers, sausages). Therefore its probably not the meat per se causing the issue but its quality and the way its cooked. If a meat eater ate lean meat (chicken, turkey) and good red meat (the odd steak etc) as well as plenty of fish (high in omega 3 fatty acids) then i believe they will be much healthier. The lack of peer reviewed studies on this doesnt help, but there is lots of evidence in the literature that eating meat is beneficial.

For example eating diets high in fish have a much lower rate of heart disease due to the fatty acids found in oily fish. Vegeterians will not get these.

Which brings me onto my next point. We use many of the vitamins and minerals from meat in immune cell functions. In my opinion (as a Dr) eating meat (decent stuff) improves our health as it provides the vitamins and minerals our bodies need to be at their best.

• There's a Neo-Nazi Vegan cupcake shop in Camden!

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/neo-nazi-vegan-cupcakes-946

Well it's settled then. Veganism can in some extreme cases lead to fascism.