Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Curious Case Of Mr Danny Haynes

Mr Haynes has not had a great life after CAFC, firstly he failed a trial at Millwall then had to drop down a league to Notts County, he then struggled to get in the team there (form and injuries) and then was farmed out on loan to Hibernian and hardly pulled up any trees there well apart from being in the media for having a cannabis farm in one of his rented out properties.

Now this season he is back at Notts County and not playing again.
In the 12/13 season at times he looked a world beater and I was surprised he wasn’t offered a deal.

Wonder what is next for Danny?

Comments

• Thought Haynes did well for us when fit. Problem was the 'when fit' part, cos that was once in a blue moon.
  • If it were last day of the window... Would we take him back on a pay as you play sort deal? We haven't got too much cover!
  • I liked him had a great turn of pace, but every time he ran I was worried his hamstring would go
  • edited August 2014
  • I liked him had a great turn of pace, but every time he ran I was worried his hamstring would go

Thanks Colin
  • Doesn't matter how good he is if he can't stay fit for a sustained period.

Can't remember who I heard it from, so not necessarily a reliable story, but I was told while he was with us that there were frequent occasions where the coaching staff considered him fit but he would claim to still be feeling an ache or a pain, not through laziness but through paranoia, a form of hypochondria I suppose.

Good player on his day and was sad to see him go, even more so when his less-able replacements eventually arrived.
  • MrLargo said:

Doesn't matter how good he is if he can't stay fit for a sustained period.

Can't remember who I heard it from, so not necessarily a reliable story, but I was told while he was with us that there were frequent occasions where the coaching staff considered him fit but he would claim to still be feeling an ache or a pain, not through laziness but through paranoia, a form of hypochondria I suppose.

Good player on his day and was sad to see him go, even more so when his less-able replacements eventually arrived.

Wasn't that Kelly Youga?
  • MrLargo said:

Think i remember Powell hinting at that with him.
  • Saw him play for Hibs and he was not the same player we had. Confidence looked shot and fitness just not there.
  • Think it's all about less than 100% committal for fear of doing his hamstrings again... This applies to anyone of us if we've a reoccurring injury it tends to curtail our performance, no question about that...
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

MrLargo said:

Wasn't that Kelly Youga?
    Definitely Haynes that I was told about, although the same could well apply to Youga. Just googled him, according to Wikipedia he's played 4 games since he left us and is now contracted to a Chinese club. Was finally starting to look like a good player before he got injured with us.
  • Thought he was great for us. Don't think I've seen a striker as quick as him in a Charlton shirt before.
  • I thought he showed immense potential, but the brain demons appear to have eaten him away,
  • Great pace and vision for goal
  • When we signed him, I was really pleased. But I remember talking to a first team player at the time (who u knew outside of charlton FC) and he said he was crap, just quick! Ha!
  • scored one of the best goals I've seen scored by a CAFC player - away at Leicester the season before last. Only been on about 5 mins and scored with a dipping volley from around 20 yards.......classic.

Super goal !
  • Derby at home, I'll never forget that goal. Typically he ended up injured 10 minutes later though, but it was sublime. He seemed to literally run rings around their defence another score with a stunning shot from just outside the penalty area.

I really did like Danny, he was just frustrating because you know if he could get the injury woes out of the way he would be quite the player. (To quote my girlfriend; "If he could do that he certainly wouldn't be playing for you.")

I'll never forget how upset he looked when he went off injured in that match, he looked heart broken. Such a shame as he had the skill and, from what I gather, was a very likable chap too. Very cruel luck.

MrLargo said:

Think i remember Powell hinting at that with him.
    Yeah, if I recall correctly Powell had mentioned that they were also taking a psychological approach to treating his injuries.

At the time that sounded peculiar, however that would now make sense.
  • MrLargo said:

sounds like pretty severe anxiety. It sucks. Especially because, when he got a run in the side, he was one of our most dangerous players and was part of the drive to within a couple of points of the playoffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• scored one of the best goals I've seen scored by a CAFC player

But I must admit I prefer this one, one of my fave goals:

The goal against Derby is almost identical to Cousins goal...
  • Cousins wishes, without the deflection Carson had Cousins shot covered.
  • The goals shown in this thread against Leicester and Derby clearly shows what ability Danny has. It's just a shame his hamstrings are like spaghetti. On his day he was a real threat for us.
  • cafctom said:

Thought he was great for us. Don't think I've seen a striker as quick as him in a Charlton shirt before.

The goals shown in this thread against Leicester and Derby clearly shows what ability Danny has. It's just a shame his hamstrings are like spaghetti. On his day he was a real threat for us.

Not many were but I think Darren Bent Bent Bent could have skinned him over 100M
  • cafctom said:

Thought he was great for us. Don't think I've seen a striker as quick as him in a Charlton shirt before.

The goals shown in this thread against Leicester and Derby clearly shows what ability Danny has. It's just a shame his hamstrings are like spaghetti. On his day he was a real threat for us.

Not many were but I think Darren Bent Bent Bent could have skinned him over 100M
    Bent was quick but he wasn't Danny Haynes quick. Or even Nathan Ecclestone quick for that matter.

Of course he had everything else in his locker to make him a top striker at the time.
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Bent was quick but he wasn't Danny Haynes quick. Or even Nathan Ecclestone quick for that matter.

Of course he had everything else in his locker to make him a top striker at the time.
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Not many were but I think Darren
    Bent Bent Bent could have skinned him over 100M

Ecclestone is a good call Tom.

You are prob right as I am totally biased. I guess DBBB was a stronger runner than both, much harder to knock off his stride

Just ask Mario Melchiot! 10 yard head start and got caught in 15 odd.

• The Melchiot moment is what came to mind first when you mentioned Bent. For me he wasn't just about pace, but he knew exactly how to time his run perfectly and bend his stride where necessary to break the offside trap. Very intelligent striker.

That season when Danny Murphy was supplying him was probably the most impressive link up I've seen at Charlton between midfield and attack.
  • Thank god Danny Haynes isn't doing well or we would all have to hate him and call him second rate!
  • Having a shocker at Crewe at the moment. Replaced by a teenager at half time on Saturday, fans dislike him already there and Notts fans want him to terminate his contract.

Non League beckons for Mr Haynes soon if he doesn't get his act together.

Big shame as he was decent when fit for us in the 12/13 season.
  • Seem to remember him having a stinker against Millwall and having an argument with someone in the crowd when he was subbed...he just disappeared after that.