Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice re new car

13»

Comments

• Options

sister in law has just leased a Kia Sportage, fantastic car.

We've got an S Max, first automatic car I've owned and I'll never be going back to manual !

I'd never drive a manual again, just pointless.
    I still drive manual. I prefer it.
  • Options
    Picked up an ex demo Outlander Phev today. Certainly very interesting to drive.
  • Options
    Of the three German mid range SUVs, anyone got any experience of any of the following?

- Audi Q5 (SQ5 in particular)
    - Merc GLC (AMG in particular)
    - Porsche Macaan

Thoughts and views would be great.
  • Options
    Rob said:

We've got an S Max, first automatic car I've owned and I'll never be going back to manual !

Agreed. You can only really get manuals out here if you go for base spec models and some cars don't have a manual option at all so I ha to relent and drive an auto now, but I miss my clutch.
  • Options

Of the three German mid range SUVs, anyone got any experience of any of the following?

- Porsche Macaan

Just bought the Mercedes GLC AMG 220 and it is a thing of beauty, jam packed with toys and a joy to drive.

Didn't look at the Q5 and assumed Porsche would be twice the price
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Would you mind providing updates on how you get on with it? I had a look but decided against on the basis that the petrol engine looked a bit feeble. So a "real world" report would be helpful.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

- Porsche Macaan

Just bought the Mercedes GLC AMG 220 and it is a thing of beauty, jam packed with toys and a joy to drive.

Defo going to take a look at the GLC this weekend then. The Porsche doesn't appear too unreasonable until you look at what the standard spec is (short of windy Windows nothing is included - and the price of extras is extreme.

What colour Merc did you go for? Don't normally go for white cars but saw one at Mercedes Benz world with the black styling kit and red brake calipers and looked the nuts.
  • Options

PL54 said:

- Porsche Macaan

Defo going to take a look at the GLC this weekend then. The Porsche doesn't appear too unreasonable until you look at what the standard spec is (short of windy Windows nothing is included - and the price of extras is extreme.

What colour Merc did you go for? Don't normally go for white cars but saw one at Mercedes Benz world with the black styling kit and red brake calipers and looked the nuts.
    We bought ours at the MB World place in Weybridge. Barry was very good and they are keen for sales before the new plate comes out. We went for black throughout. The one they have on show downstairs is for sale and they will take a decent offer.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

- Porsche Macaan

We bought ours at the MB World place in Weybridge. Barry was very good and they are keen for sales before the new plate comes out. We went for black throughout. The one they have on show downstairs is for sale and they will take a decent offer.
    To match your heart? ;-)
  • Options

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

- Porsche Macaan

To match your heart? ;-)
    That's right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2016
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

- Porsche Macaan

They were probably keen just to get rid of you
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Had one on test for 24 hours for the experience. Got 78 mpg despite three charging sessions, compared to advertised 148mpg. Sounds good but can't imagine getting home late on a rainy November and faffing around getting wet running between the house/garage and the car. I'd leave it and end up driving away in the morning with no charge and getting 45 mpg.

In the middle of three hour charge and Mrs Dippy wants to get down to the shops and messes up the routine. You drive without accelerating too much obsessed with preventing the engine cutting in. If you turn the heater on it uses your charge in 15 minutes.

Can save a lot of money in theory but it will take over your waking life planning the next charge. Got some funny looks with the car outside and a cable running out the window across the car park.
  • Options

Rob said:

Agreed. You can only really get manuals out here if you go for base spec models and some cars don't have a manual option at all so I ha to relent and drive an auto now, but I miss my clutch.
    I'm not a fan of autos either. I love getting in my old MG. It's knocking on 50, doesn't have a brake servo, the synchro in 1st & 2nd is questionable, no power steering, leaf spring suspension, no electric aids but great fun to actually drive.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

DOC64 said:

Would you mind providing updates on how you get on with it? I had a look but decided against on the basis that the petrol engine looked a bit feeble. So a "real world" report would be helpful.
    Will do. Will mainly do short journeys so it should work well for me. Already impressed with how clever it is, but need to get used to the charging. A friend has had one for six months and is still like a kid at Christmas- loves it!!
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited February 2016

Rob said:

I'm not a fan of autos either. I love getting in my old MG. It's knocking on 50, doesn't have a brake servo, the synchro in 1st & 2nd is questionable, no power steering, leaf spring suspension, no electric aids but great fun to actually drive.
    I have a 1966 Austin Healey 3000 which I love. Of course that's manual. I also drive a manual BMW M6. There were none in the States so I had to order it. I don't think the M6 manual is available in Europe but you can get it in the States but none were around when I wanted it.

As you can see, life is tough for me. :wink:
  • Options
    Rob said:

Rob said:

I have a 1966 Austin Healey 3000 which I love. Of course that's manual. I also drive a manual BMW M6. There were none in the States so I had to order it. I don't think the M6 manual is available in Europe but you can get it in the States but none were around when I wanted it.

Love Healeys but prices for them have rocketed in the last few years. I can remember seeing a lovely ice blue over white one for sale in Eltham years ago for £15k. Wouldn't come close to covering the restoration cost for one now.
  • Options

Rob said:

Rob said:

Love Healeys but prices for them have rocketed in the last few years. I can remember seeing a lovely ice blue over white one for sale in Eltham years ago for £15k. Wouldn't come close to covering the restoration cost for one now.
    So true. Mine is ice blue (Healey Blue). Totally original. I bought it from the original owner about 10 years ago. All the history including original purchase receipt. 47k miles now. Probably worth about 50k. Like your MG (which I love), a great, fun car to drive. No bells and whistles but what a car.

• Options
    Rob said:

Rob said:

Rob said:

So true. Mine is ice blue (Healey Blue). Totally original. I bought it from the original owner about 10 years ago. All the history including original purchase receipt. 47k miles now. Probably worth about 50k. Like your MG (which I love), a great, fun car to drive. No bells and whistles but what a car.

Probably all of £50k. I was at the NEC show last year and there was a Frogeye Sprite for sale. Admittedly it was a nice original one but it was £35k! Ridiculous amount.
  • Options

Rob said:

I spent years slagging off automatics having had a series of cars with manual gearboxes and very heavy clutches. (TVRs and S and RS versions of Audis. To be frank they fecked up my knee and driving in heavy traffic - like a stop-start session on the M25 became a real chore.
    As others have said, manual versions of some cars are simply not available. Audi, for example, claimed manual gearboxes just don't work as well as autos on the latest RS models.
    So, now Mrs cafcfan's Z4 has a flappy paddle, duel clutch Getrag 7-speed auto which works well. My Jeep has a ZF 9-speed auto which is frankly superb. Whether they have any durability is another question I guess!
  • Options
    Thinking of buying a z4 as a summer fun car for us currently have a Z3
    Anyone own one?
    Any tips on what engine to go for and other advice would be most welcome
    Price would be up to about £4500/5000 tops
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

- Porsche Macaan

How big is it pal? Been looking at the Q3 as need something bigger than my 1 series. The GLC seems more comparable to that than the Q5 or are looks deceiving?
  • Options
    Special Charlton life discount to anyone who buys a Nissan from me :smile:
  • Options
    cafcfred4 said:

Nissan...... I'm looking at X Trail, up to 50k on the clock, Ideally P/X for a Avensis Tourer. ;)
  • Options

Anyone own one?

Mrs cafcfan's Z4 is a nice car. It has a twin turbo 3ltr straight six. About 300bhp I seem to recall. But it's an E89 with a metal folding roof rather than the earlier cloth top E85. For the money you mention, I'm guessing you are looking at the latter? It is also made in Germany whereas the earlier version was made in the USA.
    The only thing I don't like about the E89, are its run flat Bridgestones. (No space for a spare wheel). These are horrible and make the car quite unpleasant on bad road surfaces. They are 225/35 R19s front and 255/30 R19s rear, so the very narrow and very stiff side wall is the problem. Some have reported cracked alloys because of the stress put through the wheel. As and when they need replacing, regular tyres either Michelin or Vredestein will be going on, backed up by a can of gloop.
  • Options
    cafcfred4 said:

If only you'd have said that a fortnight ago!

Where do you work?

• Options
    jamescafc said:

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

- Porsche Macaan

How big is it pal? Been looking at the Q3 as need something bigger than my 1 series. The GLC seems more comparable to that than the Q5 or are looks deceiving?
    It seems big enough but we'll be needing a roof box for family weekends etc.

The other one we looked at was the BMW 3 Series GT thing. Beautiful and very spacious.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

- Porsche Macaan

Test drove the GLC this morning as am looking at a bigger car than my current RS Q3. It is definitely more comparable to a Q5. The GLA is Mercs Q3 equivalent.

The Merc had a good drive and the engine was beautifully refined. Audi interior quality is still leading the way in the 3 German prestige brands but the GLC looks were a bit more contemporary.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

jamescafc said:

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

- Porsche Macaan

Test drove the GLC this morning as am looking at a bigger car than my current RS Q3. It is definitely more comparable to a Q5. The GLA is Mercs Q3 equivalent.

The Merc had a good drive and the engine was beautifully refined. Audi interior quality is still leading the way in the 3 German prestige brands but the GLC looks were a bit more contemporary.
    Really? The interior of ours resembles a high end yacht!
  • Options
    Yeah - it is very nice don't get me wrong. Like the carbon AMG trim option. Wasn't sure about the Display screen which wasn't very integrated. The AMG leather seats were plush.

Car looks very nice and more curvy than the Audi. Audi interior quality and solidity of dash etc is very good.
  • Options

Anyone own one?

I just sold mine last summer as I had a new arrival and the missus said he can't go in the boot.

It was a 2 litre petrol with a soft top in black with red leather seats. I loved it. Great fun to drive. It wasn't incredibly fast but nippy enough and mpg wasn't too shabby. 2005 model sold it for 6k.

I've heard the 6 cylinder models are much more fun to drive. Tend to be dearer though. If you're not a speed demon then the 2l 4cylinder version should be fine.

Just ordered the new sportage in the top trim. Will update when it arrives beginning of April.