Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bradley Wright-Phillips

What a goal against Bayern Munich tonight for the MLS All Stars!!!!!!!

Surreal....

Comments

• You do wonder why he struggled for us in the championship/....he's been unbelievable over here
  • Think he'll be back on loan somewhere in Europe after the MLS season is over
  • Never really did it anywhere above League 1 during his time in England. Seems to have found a good home New York though. Must be all that quality service from Lloyd Sam and Rueben Bover and there's no way he could have ever been paired with talent like that at the Valley.

Hang on a minute ...
  • What a wanker Guardiola was after the game
  • Didn't shake hands after the game sore loser

• Guardiola - absolute disgraceful, what a miserable tw@t....
  • I think the pressure is showing at Bayern.....be surprised if he lasts the season.....
  • ct_addick said:

You do wonder why he struggled for us in the championship/....he's been unbelievable over here

Maybe he was never fully fit during that time
  • What a goal that was
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2014

I still maintain he did not get a fair crack at it or a decent run in the team in The Championship with us.

Disagree. Didn't he play the first 12 games and score once? He missed lots of chances in league 1 and he struggled in the Championship.

He actually ended up on the bench at league 1 Brentford that year.
  • He did, he just wasn't any good in it. Big confidence player and it didn't take much to knock him into the wrong headspace. Glad to see he's doing well in the MLS
  • As a newly promoted team to the Championship we didnt have the luxury of giving him a chance as we needed points to try and survive... Didnt he go on loan @ Brentford later that season and struggle to score then too?
  • Great to see him having a decent career. Played a massive part in our L1 title winning season. And no better time to be playing in the States after their success at the World Cup.
  • Pick that out. Great finish.
  • Did someone mention Lloyd Sam? Quality wasted I thought? Constant high balls to him on his chest with a 6' defender on him...what a waste. Nice guy though as I sponsored him and met him a few times
  • I often wonder what might have been if his perfectly good goal against Palace at home hadn't been chalked off (and not just for Bradley). When he put that away I thought "business as usual", until I saw that fatal flag.

But of course such a thing should not be enough to knock a good striker off course in that way.

Good luck to him over there
  • Sponsored links:

• I often wonder what might have been if his perfectly good goal against Palace at home hadn't been chalked off (and not just for Bradley). When he put that away I thought "business as usual", until I saw that fatal flag.

It would have made no actual difference in terms of league position. Both ourselves and Palace would have been in exactly the same league position at the end of the season. Of course there's no way of knowing what it might have done in terms of morale, momentum etc.

• Scored a good goal last weekend too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMepk86X_Ew
  • I still maintain he did not get a fair crack at it or a decent run in the team in The Championship with us.

Disagree. Didn't he play the first 12 games and score once? He missed lots of chances in league 1 and he struggled in the Championship.

I always did wonder whether he could do it at Champ level but I don't think he got a fair chance. I think what he had done for us before that he deserved more of a chance, he only started 10 games. That is hardly fair for someone who without we would not have been promoted. It seemed as if Powell also doubted whether he could do it and at the first little sign he might struggle that was it he was cast aside.
  • edited August 2014
    colthe3rd said:

I still maintain he did not get a fair crack at it or a decent run in the team in The Championship with us.

I always did wonder whether he could do it at Champ level but I don't think he got a fair chance. I think what he had done for us before that he deserved more of a chance, he only started 10 games. That is hardly fair for someone who without we would not have been promoted. It seemed as if Powell also doubted whether he could do it and at the first little sign he might struggle that was it he was cast aside.
    I think its unfair for to say Powell cast him aside at the first sign of trouble. Granted he got roughly 25 goals the season before but he suffered a huge loss of form, I don't think he scored from Novemer-Febuary that season and Powell stuck with him.

Yann, Ricardo, Haynes when fit and Obika were all seen as better players and Powell done the right thing in telling him he won't be first/second choice striker and would be better going on loan. Charlton's end to the season and final league position justified that Powell pretty much got it right in the 2012/13 season and it wad hardley like Championship clubs were cueing up for Bradley anyway.
  • you guys talk a load of crap sometimes, i was one of those who was angry at Powell for continuing playing him, and shouted many times from the covered end - get him off!

he was crap in the championship. love the guy cause he was great and got us out league one.

but a striker is only as good as his last goal, and when there are none you are done.

now he has found form again we cant sit and go Oh he got a hard time and should have been given a chance. just look at Church! same there he is crap for us - will probably leave and be brilliant!.

it is just the way it goes with strikers.

cant blame Powell.

• colthe3rd said:

That's just not true though. A few months back I looked into the stats to see if BWP was actually unfairly treated and this is what I posted then:

'He started the first 9 games of the season and scored once. He came on at half time in the game after he was dropped and failed to score. Granted he had an unfairly disallowed goal against Palace but that is the form that gets a striker dropped. Especially when you're the poacher type. We won the game he was dropped for 2-0 and lost the one where he came on 1-0. Results picked up after BWP was dropped, including us scoring 12 goals and getting 13 points the next month. He started in the 4-1 loss against Boro and didn't in the 5-4 win over Cardiff. He came on after 67 minutes and didn't score. Haynes and Hulse did around that time though so clearly there was some kind of service.

Yann was the man who kept the ball up the pitch for us but wasn't expected to contribute as many goals, and he still had 2 by the point BWP was dropped and was badly injured ahead of game 7. Fuller, mostly on as a sub also had 2. Leon Cort had 2 at this stage. We then signed Rob Hulse on loan and he got 2 goals in 3 games, ultimately getting 3 in 15. Danny Haynes also got 2 in 2 and scored 7 overall. Yann then scored on his return from injury. And despite mostly being used as a sub and generally given the same amount of time, if not less off the bench as BWP, Obika managed 3 goals. BWP was given a fair chance and every single striker brought in after him showed more than him immediately. BWP was the 6th most effective striker for us in the league and it showed.'

He got a fair crack, didn't deliver, and was pushed to the back of the queue by players who scored more. It's possible he might have found some form in the Championship if he'd never been dropped (though unlikely given how he played) but saying he was unfairly treated is false.
    So 9 games is enough to know if someone can hack it? To me that is harsh. If a manager was sacked after that time everyone would be crying that they aren't given long enough.
  • Left foot as well. Awesome. Sign him and Dwyer up!