Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Great win for Jamie Snowden with Datsalrightgino.
    Close but no cigar for Mahler.
    Twig outpaced but watch out for him over further.

1 Datsalrightgino (GER) 16/1
    Mahler Mission (IRE) 15/2
    Monbeg Genius (IRE) 13/2
    Eldorado Allen (FR) 18/1
    Cloudy Glen (IRE) 20/1
    Shakem Up'arry (IRE) 33/1
    Ga Law (FR) 33/1
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I was chuffed to bits with how he ran - I love the horse he is one of those like George Dobson who always tries his hardest and that’s all we can ask ! 
    AA, I'm off to Plumpton tomorrow and see that Junkanoo is in the first, 15/8 favourite.

Must have a good chance after his first run, good luck.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Thanks guys, I was chuffed to bits with how he ran - I love the horse he is one of those like George Dobson who always tries his hardest and that’s all we can ask ! 
    AA, I'm off to Plumpton tomorrow and see that Junkanoo is in the first, 15/8 favourite.

Thanks iaitch - I’m obviously hoping for a good run but its a tougher race than ascot - I would have thought that the Chris Gordon horse should be favourite - as ever the main thing is if he jumps a clear round and comes back safe 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Think the class2 2nd edges the form for Junkanoo 
    im going for combo tricast with el saviour and Goodwin 
    good luck AA
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Thanks iaitch - I’m obviously hoping for a good run but its a tougher race than ascot - I would have thought that the Chris Gordon horse should be favourite - as ever the main thing is if he jumps a clear round and comes back safe 
    The Gordon horse controlled the race throughout, thought Junkanoo was going to get him over the last but couldn't quite get on terms, another pleasing run by yours, where does he go next? 
  • Options
    Thanks iaitch- I hope you enjoyed a good day and backed some winners, I couldn't believe how crowded it was. Junkanoo ran really well and like you when he challenged at the last I thought we were going to win ( and I deafened the woman next to me in the Stands) . I think he only just gets 2 miles and we would have appreciated a bit more juice in the ground, it was more good than soft. They really like the Gordon horse so there was no shame in defeat and he came back hale and hearty this morning. 
    We'll give him 3-4 weeks off , then there are quite a few options but there is a nice 5yo+ Nov Hurdle at Kempton on Jan 13th which might work 
    cheers
    AA 
  • Options
    Enjoyed the day but closest to a winner was your horse. It was a bit crowded, gave up trying to get a beer.

Sure you'll let us know when he's running again, cheers.

• Options
    edited January 7
    What a performance by jockey Joe Anderson on Transmission in the 14:15 at Plumpton. The horse very nearly came down fairly early on and Joe had both legs one side of the horse, with the jockey hanging from the horse's neck. He managed to get back in the saddle but had no irons for about half a circuit. He finally got his feet back in the irons and amazingly went on to win the biggest race of the day to bag a first prize of £39k.
    The owners and punters alike owe Joe a big drink.
  • Options
    What a performance by jockey Joe Anderson on Transmission in the 14:15 at Plumpton. The horse very nearly came down fairly early on and Joe had both legs one side of the horse, with the jockey hanging from the horses' neck. He managed to get back in the saddle but had no irons for about half a circuit. He finally got his feet back in the irons and amazingly went on to win the biggest race of the day to bag a first prize of £39k.
    I was on Hititi who finished second but it was an amazing recovery from Anderson.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a performance by jockey Joe Anderson on Transmission in the 14:15 at Plumpton. The horse very nearly came down fairly early on and Joe had both legs one side of the horse, with the jockey hanging from the horses' neck. He managed to get back in the saddle but had no irons for about half a circuit. He finally got his feet back in the irons and amazingly went on to win the biggest race of the day to bag a first prize of £39k.
    I was on Hititi who finished second but it was an amazing recovery from Anderson.   
    You know your luck isn't in when you get beaten like that!
  • Options
    ride of the season ?, decade ? .. never seen that before, not only getting back on board but to win , remarkable
  • Options
    ride of the season ?, decade ? .. never seen that before, not only getting back on board but to win , remarkable
    Never seen a jockey recover from such a precarious position and still win. It was the fact that he also did half a circuit with his feet out of the irons. He kept trying to recover the irons but I think one of them was caught behind his backside!

• Options
    What a performance by jockey Joe Anderson on Transmission in the 14:15 at Plumpton. horse very nearly came down fairly early on and Joe had both legs one side of the horse, with the jockey hanging from the horses' neck. He managed to get back in the saddle but had no irons for about half a circuit. He finally got his feet back in the irons and amazingly went on to win the biggest race of the day to bag a first prize of £39k.
    You know your luck isn't in when you get beaten like that!
    Indeed but small consolation that I had a lay for my stake matched in running. Sometimes you do just have to accept a sports person's brilliance and that was what it was. 
  • Options
    I missed this one but, at the ripe old age of 77, Henrietta Knight has returned to the training ranks with her first runners today for almost 10 years - Zettabyte currently running in the 1.30 Wincanton and Ballywalter in the 3.00 at the same track. Good luck Hens!
  • Options
    Junkanoo got beat by a nose yesterday at Kempton and should have been awarded the race in the subsequent 15 minute stewards enquiry. I know they hardly ever turnover results now but he got bumped by the winner in the final furlong whose jockey had his whip in the wrong hand all the way to the winning post and drove our horse continually towards the rail. Even the Racing TVcommentators  thought we had a good chance of getting the race, The jockey got off , Caolinn Quinn and his first words to me were that we would get it in the stewards room. 
    Very frustrating 
  • Options
    Junkanoo got beat by a nose yesterday at Kempton and should have been awarded the race in the subsequent 15 minute stewards enquiry. I know they hardly ever turnover results now but he got bumped by the winner in the final furlong whose jockey had his whip in the wrong hand all the way to the winning post and drove our horse continually towards the rail. Even the Racing TVcommentators  thought we had a good chance of getting the race, The jockey got off , Caolinn Quinn and his first words to me were that we would get it in the stewards room. 
    Very frustrating 
    I could not agree with you more. In any other country it would have taken a nanosecond to kick the winner out for intimidation, the bump which was enough to momentarily stop Junkanoo's momentum, the jockey had his stick in the wrong hand and the distance was a nose.  
  • Options
    Very frustrating 
    I could not agree with you more. In any other country it would have taken a nanosecond to kick the winner out for intimidation, the bump which was enough to momentarily stop Junkanoo's momentum, the jockey had his stick in the wrong hand and the distance was a nose.  
    `Thanks mate - I’ll call you as a witness !!! 
  • Options
    This is the actual Stewards Report:

An enquiry was held to consider the placings in this race following interference on the run to the line involving the winner GENTLE SLOPES, ridden by James Bowen and JUNKANOO, placed second, ridden by Caoilin Quinn. The Stewards considered the interference had not improved GENTLE SLOPES’s placing as despite the winning distance of a nose after jumping the final fence both runners had edged right-handed independently, before GENTLE SLOPES shifted marginally further right-handed slightly brushing JUNKANOO, who lost no momentum or distance. Thereafter both horses drifted independently to the line. Therefore, the Stewards ordered the placings to remain unaltered. Bowen was cautioned for careless riding as he allowed his mount to shift right-handed without timely correction, giving a light brush to JUNKANOO.

So Bowen was cautioned for, effectively, not just allowing his mount to shift right-handed but also to intimidate the other horse. The "light brush" was more than enough to stop Junkanoo from winning. 

This is the point of contact with Bowen still with his whip in his incorrect hand. Note how far the horses are away from the rail:

And this is where they ended up:

Note now how close to the rail at the finish the horses are. Junkanoo's jockey had his whip on his correct hand whereas Bowen's horse actually started to drift right jumping the last when it took the line of the eventual third and he did absolutely nothing to correct the drift. At any point in that final furlong it is easy to argue that the intimidation and bump was sufficient to stop Junkanoo from winning the race.

One final note. Gentle Slope was around about 1.34 to keep the race in the Stewards. But that is based on the Stewards' reluctance to kick anything out unless murder has been committed. The cynic in me might suggest that, with off course bookies paying out on FPTP, kicking out an odds on fav and then having to pay out on another fancied horse, does not endear them to the hand that feeds them!

• Options
    Thanks mate - much appreciated - we’ve decided to appeal - hashtagjusticeforjunkie !!  ;)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Should have been an easy decision to reverse the placings in view of the winning distance and Bowen having his stick in the wrong hand and moving towrds the rail. What have they got to do to get disqualified? 
  • Options
    Are you going to appeal or do you consider that a waste of time? 
  • Options
    Off to Dublin racing festival on the Saturday of the meeting shows the value of going other venues instead of Cheltenham a 3 course meal, complimentary bar for the day and a seat for the day 140 euro.

My usual group are doing the weds and Thursday at Cheltenham and then on the beer in town gold cup Friday. 

This year am heading to Cheltenham on the Thursday but taking our bags with us does anyone know if they have luggage storage facilities at Cheltenham a quick google suggests they have limited luggage storage faculties but has anyone ever used? 
  • Options
    If you owned a horse that had these form figures, would you be happy or frustrated?

2-2-2-2-2-4-2-2-2-2

That is the story of Mumtayaz who has just finished runner up for the ninth time in ten races. The horse did nothing wrong today with the winner being a former Gosden inmate that was running off a mark a stone lower than when last winning 18 months ago. From a punting perspective and for obvious reasons, Mumtayaz is rarely each way in price and place only on the Tote would have given you a 10p in the £ profit.
  • Options
    When a horse has figures like that with so many seconds it get called ungenuine. Bit harsh, maybe he just comes up against better horses.
  • Options

An enquiry was held to consider the placings in this race following interference on the run to the line involving the winner GENTLE SLOPES, ridden by James Bowen and JUNKANOO, placed second, ridden by Caoilin Quinn. The Stewards considered the interference had not improved GENTLE SLOPES’s placing as despite the winning distance of a nose after jumping the final fence both runners had edged right-handed independently, before GENTLE SLOPES shifted marginally further right-handed slightly brushing JUNKANOO, who lost no momentum or distance. Thereafter both horses drifted independently to the line. Therefore, the Stewards ordered the placings to remain unaltered. Bowen was cautioned for careless riding as he allowed his mount to shift right-handed without timely correction, giving a light brush to JUNKANOO.

So Bowen was cautioned for, effectively, not just allowing his mount to shift right-handed but also to intimidate the other horse. The "light brush" was more than enough to stop Junkanoo from winning. 

This is the point of contact with Bowen still with his whip in his incorrect hand. Note how far the horses are away from the rail:

Note now how close to the rail at the finish the horses are. Junkanoo's jockey had his whip on his correct hand whereas Bowen's horse actually started to drift right jumping the last when it took the line of the eventual third and he did absolutely nothing to correct the drift. At any point in that final furlong it is easy to argue that the intimidation and bump was sufficient to stop Junkanoo from winning the race.

One final note. Gentle Slope was around about 1.34 to keep the race in the Stewards. But that is based on the Stewards' reluctance to kick anything out unless murder has been committed. The cynic in me might suggest that, with off course bookies paying out on FPTP, kicking out an odds on fav and then having to pay out on another fancied horse, does not endear them to the hand that feeds them!

The Stewards have just revised the placings for the second race at Lingfield. In this instance the distance was also a nose. The horses touched twice but the intimidation was not of the duration and the FPTP did not lean into the runner up for the duration of Junkanoo's race. 
  • Options

The Stewards have just revised the placings for the second race at Lingfield. In this instance the distance was also a nose. The horses touched twice but the intimidation was not of the duration and the FPTP did not lean into the runner up for the duration of Junkanoo's race. 
    Yep, I just watched that - I think ( and hope ) that we appealed - I’m going to speak to Gary tomorrow to see if there is an update - I’ll let you know if any progress/ response 
  • Options
    Once again what the hell are these stewards doing?! They've just thrown out the 100/1 winner of the  1.30 Chepstow. Winner fluffs the last, an unfortunate accident and nothing to do with jockeyship, and bumps the second who has got the whole of the run to line from the back of the final hurdle to get in front and fails to do so. That's a disgraceful decision
  • Options
    BertieB said:
    Once again what the hell are these stewards doing?! They've just thrown out the 100/1 winner of the  1.30 Chepstow. Winner fluffs the last, an unfortunate accident and nothing to do with jockeyship, and bumps the second who has got the whole of the run to line from the back of the final hurdle to get in front and fails to do so. That's a disgraceful decision
    As you say the interference took place a long way from the finish. Makes the Junkanoo decision even more of a joke.
  • Options
    BertieB said:
    As you say the interference took place a long way from the finish. Makes the Junkanoo decision even more of a joke.
    I spoke to Gary yesterday and we got a written response from the BHA which supported the original stewards decision and means that if we want to carry on with the appeal we are going to have to drag back the jockeys and get some kind of legal representation. Its too expensive and probably won't change the result so we've decided to drop it - bloody annoying.
    I'm hoping he goes for the Imperial Cup off a low weight but we might run again before.