Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Never let it be said that Irish racing is monopolised by two or three trainers - Willie Mullins has won 8 of the 14 races so far in Ireland today and has just had the first 6 (and only finishers) in a Grade 1 Novice Chase at Fairyhouse 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Never let it be said that Irish racing is monopolised by two or three trainers - Willie Mullins has won 8 of the 14 races so far in Ireland today and has just had the first 6 (and only finishers) in a Grade 1 Novice Chase at Fairyhouse 
    He's Mr Incredible  ;)
  • Options

Bravemansgame was ruled out of Thursday's Aintree Bowl Chase on Wednesday evening following an intervention by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) prohibiting him from taking part.

The Paul Nicholls-trained runner was due to compete under the sole ownership of Bryan Drew after John Dance was removed as joint-owner on Tuesday when his company, WealthTek LLP, was placed in special administration by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). 

The BHA released a statement on Wednesday evening which read: "In light of new information, including a court order, provided to the BHA on Wednesday 12 April by the Financial Conduct Authority Bravemansgame is no longer able to take part in the race and has been withdrawn.

"The BHA will continue to liaise with the FCA and other affected parties."

The King George winner was a short-priced favourite to take on A Plus Tard and Shishkin on what would have been his first start since chasing home Galopin Des Champs in the Gold Cup last month. 

His absence leaves Nicholls without a runner and just five left in contention for the 3m1f chase which headlines the opening day of the Grand National meeting. 

Dance's company WealthTek, which also has the trading names of Malloch Melville and Vertem Asset Management, was ordered to stop all regulated activity on Tuesday of last week. Special administrators were ordered in last Thursday following the discovery of "serious regulatory and operational issues" by the FCA, the financial watchdog.  

In a fresh statement on its website, the FCA said: "The FCA has taken various steps to protect consumers following serious regulatory and operational issues coming to light. The FCA is in close contact with the Joint Special Administrators and further information will be made available by them in due course."

Nicholls was approached by the Racing Post on Wednesday evening but declined to comment.  

• Options
    This follows the intervention of the BHA to a race at Exeter today where they withdrew Aces Full two minutes before he was due to take part in the novice handicap chase.

The stewards ordered the horse to be withdrawn following a request from the BHA’s integrity department to interview connections.

Aces Full had been off the track since being pulled up last October but attracted strong support during the morning, being cut from 14-1 to 9-4.

Curran said: “I am shocked and flabbergasted at what has happened and I don’t know why it’s been done. As far as I know I have not broken any rules. The horse is owned by my cousin Joe English but has been leased to me.

“He runs under my other name John Curran and I pay all the entry fees and jockey fees. It’s strange that there was no problem when he ran under my name last time and it makes me think the BHA has just taken action this time because the bookmakers have been concerned about the gamble.

“I have put a lot of work into this horse and all that time and money has been wasted now. I thought he would win today, although I was a little concerned by the horrible weather at Exeter.

“Joe would have backed the horse I'm sure, but he’s retired so I don’t believe he would have had a lot of money on. We are not a big stable and we need winners like this to make ends meet.”

At the request of the integrity department the stewards had asked the trainer to provide information regarding the selection of the race for the gelding, their expectations and the riding instructions.

Mark Scully, a spokesman for the BHA, said: “We are unable to provide any further details on this matter at the present time.”

• Options
    I wonder if JiMMY85 will be "on" Dorking Cock in the 16.05  :D
  • Options
    A Plus Tard for me today.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Holy cow.
    Cheers for posting that @iaitch
  • Options
    Stewards declared that it was accidental and no further action taken.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Stewards declared that it was accidental and no further action taken.
    Jockey in the yellow (Gregory)  deserved a long ban i m o .. looks to me that he deliberately tried to push the other fella too wide to take the hurdle, dangerous riding at best 
  • Options
    Roaring river.2.05 Yarmouth tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Roaring river.2.05 Yarmouth tomorrow. 
    Finished last of eight, 23 lengths behind the horse that finished seventh!
  • Options
    Thoughts on Pat Cosgrave’s 28 day ban?
  • Options
    Thoughts on Pat Cosgrave’s 28 day ban?
    Not long enough. Does he really think that the handicapper would have been fooled had it won by a nose, half a length or even five lengths? It's the ease of victory that dictates not distance. Jockeys would soon stop showboating like that if they had to pay for all the losing bets.  
  • Options
    Three Grade 1s at Punchestown with 16 horses in total. Trainers represented:

Willie Mullins - 11
    Henry De Bromhead - 2
    Gordon Elliott - 1
    Oliver McKiernan - 1
    Emmet Mullins - 1

I think that's called a monopoly. No Michael O'Leary runners either. Shame. 

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Sometimes punting really can bite you in the bum and laugh at the same time.

In the 1.40 at Perth I was on the 2/1 favourite, trained by Stuart Crawford, Bleu D'enfer, who led every yard of the race 'til it hit the line at which point a horse called Nowinittowinit, who had come from the clouds, won the race by a short head.

Now we've all been there. But when the winning horse returns an SP of 80/1 and Betfair SP of 274 and therefore a perceived chance of 0.36% of winning, then you know your luck is out. When you then realise that the winner is also trained by Stuart Crawford then, perhaps, it's time to declare before further damage arises! Crawford also had the 9/1 4th. 

Only joking - onwards and upwards - but it really is very, very galling when that happens. 
  • Options
    I’ve been betting tricast last couple of weeks only 60p but I’ve won about 5 times and in profit by about £140. 
    I’ve been close 2 out of the 3 places about 8 times. 
    What’s people’s favourite bet that they win with. 
    I normally go for Trixie 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I’ve been betting tricast last couple of weeks only 60p but I’ve won about 5 times and in profit by about £140. 
    I normally go for Trixie 
    Win single or each-way filth on horses (mainly each-way single or sometimes an each-way double).  

When I have time I follow a selection/staking system - maybe two or three options in a given week.

Selection:

- must be favourite but not odds-on
    - level weights races only, not handicaps
    - must have run, but not won, in the current season
    - must be tipped up by the majority of newspaper tipsters
    - professional jockey - no claimers

Stakes:

10 points win every race

variation:

10 points win race one in a sequence

if loses stake on race two to win losing stake in race one plus 10 points

if win back to first stage

if loses stake on race three to win losing stakes on races one and two plus 10 points.

The above selection criteria has (or used to have, I don't follow it closely enough now) a 70+% strike rate.

The first option on the staking (flat 10 points win) avoids the escalating stakes on a losing run and if you are backing Evens or better with a 70% strike rate then flat stakes turns a healthy profit with relatively low risk.

• Options
    I normally go for Trixie 
    7 selections together - singles, fourfolds, sixfolds and the EW Acca. Heaviest staking on the singles. Selections and races roughly designed for one winner to get at least half of the total stake back, two winners and everything is returned, possibly even a minor profit. Three winners equals a definite profit, four or more and a right result. That's the idea in theory anyway! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As the Cup Final has now been brought forward to 3.00pm, the Derby will now be run at 1.30pm
  • Options
    Derby is usually the 4th/5th race on the card so when is the first race?
  • Options
    I tend to stick to singles, although recent luck with Cheltenham suggests i should do lucky 15, tbf i haven't really bet on horses until recently as i've had a good run and left it in and just been backing singles/ eachways. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    iaitch said:
    Derby is usually the 4th/5th race on the card so when is the first race?
    First race 12:50, Derby second race at 13:30. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    As the Cup Final has now been brought forward to 3.00pm, the Derby will now be run at 1.30pm
    Oh wow, i go to the derby and will be going. It shouldn't make a huge difference as i get there like 11/12 early (in the stools). Basically a day off drinking for me from getting the train there, hopefully the weather is good :smile:
  • Options
    Yesterday at Fontwell, didn't get much of a run if you were either of these two.

https://www.attheraces.com/atrplayer-popout/VOD/1349513?showResult=yes
  • Options
    Oh wow, i go to the derby and will be going. It shouldn't make a huge difference as i get there like 11/12 early (in the stools). Basically a day off drinking for me from getting the train there, hopefully the weather is good :smile:
    Train strike too, which is how we all get there so no chance of going this year! Will stick to a local pub and have a few drinks, not quite the same. 
  • Options
    Off to the Derby early tomorrow on our regular coach trip from the local. Hoping the traffic is not going to be too painful.

Send me some tips please.. so I sound like I know what I’m talking about. Thank you! 
  • Options
    Yep off to the derby myself tomorrow, leaving at the Morgan in Abbey Wood at 10.30 

These are my selections:

12.50 kolsai
    1.30 auguste Rodin 
             White birch 
    2.10 potapova 
    2.45 zuffalo 
    3.20 silkie wilkie 
             Lihou 
    3.55 fox journey 
    4.30 max mayhem 
    5.05 Apollo one 
             Strike red