Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Backed Dal Harraild in the 2:25, should I lump on Lady Aurelia?
  • Options
    CHG said:

I fear Battaash too much to lump on Lady Aurelia.
  • Options

CHG said:

Thanks, will take a look at Battash
  • Options
    CHG said:

CHG said:

Thanks, will take a look at Battash
    I didnt say I was backing it .
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    frankie detori has mugged himself right off there, can tell itv thought it had won aswell as were already next to the trainer etc.
  • Options
    Two races today decided on the nod.

Dettori made himself look a proper plum.
  • Options
    I really don't mind ole Frankie, but... hahahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Ha, just seen it.
    Nothing against Dettori but that's always funny
  • Options

Ha, just seen it.
    Nothing against Dettori but that's always funny

Not when it's cost you a five winners in a multiple it isn't ;-(
  • Options
    Ouch
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't normally put tips on here (probably because I prefer to back my own judgement) but have been told that Miss Osier in the Sandown 4.25 will go close - which is probably what it will do without winning of course!

Anyway, "job jockey" booking of SDS and probably still has improvement to come on its current mark. 8/1 was available but now 13/2 best.

PLEASE DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!
  • Options
    There was quite a backlash on social media when it was confirmed he only got a caution.
    I wonder if that's what led to the review
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    You could whip a human 7 times and they would feel no pain. The horse responds, as in quickens/straightens, in connection to the crack sound of the whip, it feels no pain. The whips are made of foam.

http://www.attheraces.com/blogs/kevin-blake/07-July-2017
  • Options

You could whip a human 7 times and they would feel no pain. The horse responds, as in quickens/straightens, in connection to the crack sound of the whip, it feels no pain. The whips are made of foam.

http://www.attheraces.com/blogs/kevin-blake/07-July-2017

Thanks for that. I certainly never knew.
  • Options

That, and some stinging criticism from the RSPCA, reported in the national press.
    Having received the criticism, the 'authorities' came up with.....a four-day ban.

Russell "acted in a way that was prejudicial to the integrity, proper conduct or good reputation of horse racing".

Some would be pleased were he to face a charge of cruelty to an animal.

Jockey James Doyle received a fifteen day ban (with five of those days deferred for 42 days) from the racing regulator’s Disciplinary Panel for breaching the whip rules five times in six months.

As a general rule, jockeys in Flat races can strike horses a maximum of seven occasions in a race, although the horse also has to have time to respond.

Respond? As in 'Showing displeasure'? Or 'Being frightened'? or 'Stopping'?

Integrity, eh?

I understand your point, but it would have been better made if you'd referred to when James Ridley mistook the half furlong post for the finishing post at Newbury, thereby slowing and allowing horses to pass, and received a 28-day ban for it.

What Russell did wouldn't have caused harm to Kings Dolly. Don't get me wrong, it's not a good action and I fully support a ban, but if your angle is animal welfare then it's on relatively shaky foundations.
  • Options
    Don't like to see that nice man Michael O'Leary having such unwarranted criticism for his airline's massive cancellations of flights - I really do hope that he will still be able to afford a few horses:

The airline said it expected to face a compensation claims of up to €20m, while analysts at Dublin-based Goodbody Stockbrokers said the final bill was likely to be €34.5m (£30.4m) as they marked down Ryanair’s full-year profit forecast by 2.3%.

The threat of cancellations sparked fury among passengers as millions were left in limbo, unsure whether their holidays would go ahead.

Many expressed their disgust on Twitter over how Ryanair was handling the issue. One user said she feared for her wedding, with 30 Ryanair flights booked for her party, while others said that even if their outbound flight was not cancelled, they could not be sure if their inbound flight would be.

Ryanair’s usually combative boss, Michael O’Leary, was widely mocked on social media for failing to speak, although the airline hurriedly arranged a press conference for later in the day.

Investor groups said that while Ryanair usually brushes off poor publicity, in this case it could damage the airline.

“Ryanair is notorious for not caring about what sort of headlines they get, working on the basis that all publicity is good publicity – but not this time,” said Rebecca O’Keefe of Interactive Investor.

“Previously, the carrier was happy to suggest that you get what you pay for and despite negative press lots of flyers embraced the fact that they knew the score and were happy to fly without the frills.

“However, the current situation is truly damaging, with flyers left high and dry with last-minute cancellations or apprehensive that they might be affected.”

• Options
    I'm up in Yarmouth for the three day Eastern Festival meeting. The Racing aside, this town is as dead as an on loan striker from Rangers.
    Been in a pub all day and at 8pm the barmaid called last orders. Is that every night, I asked. " No, we stay open till 11 at weekends", she says.

Anyway, here's hoping for fine weather and a few wins.
  • Options

I'm up in Yarmouth for the three day Eastern Festival meeting. The Racing aside, this town is as dead as an on loan striker from Rangers.
    Been in a pub all day and at 8pm the barmaid called last orders. Is that every night, I asked. " No, we stay open till 11 at weekends", she says.

Anyway, here's hoping for fine weather and a few wins.

We went to Yarmouth races a few years back. It reminded me of Woolwich by the sea.
  • Options
    Paul Elliott, wearing a William Hill shirt, has just done the draw for the Ayr Gold Cup on RUK. Talk about selling your soul to the devil!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What happened in the 8.15 Newcastle last night? The last placed horse was called first and it paid out as the winner> Any ideas??
  • Options
    Bridget Andrews what a shocking bit of riding why was she trying to use the whip when unbalanced, 8 lengths clear and only 5 yards from line. Don't think she jumped deliberately but that was very poor good on Paddy Power and the other bookies who paid out regardless of the result.
  • Options
    oldbloke said:

Bridget Andrews what a shocking bit of riding why was she trying to use the whip when unbalanced, 8 lengths clear and only 5 yards from line. Don't think she jumped deliberately but that was very poor good on Paddy Power and the other bookies who paid out regardless of the result.

At least she won't lose her job - she is the partner of the trainer!
  • Options
    Surprised none of us mentioned this on the day, but Enable - what a filly. Pissed all over the Arc.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Surprised none of us mentioned this on the day, but Enable - what a filly. Pissed all over the Arc.

Up there with the best fillies I've seen.

Let's hope she stays in training for next year.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Outrageous ride.

Strong field - Winter, Ulysses, Order of St George etc and absolutely pissed all over them.
  • Options
    Going to Warwick tomorrow. Any tips ?