Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

False widow spiders

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Not False Widow, but highly informative to all you arachnophiles out there

https://youtu.be/hSiXERe0QKE
  • Options
    I get dozens of them all around the garage roof. A couple of years back, I got bitten by one in the sleeve of the bike jacket I keep out there, and my arm blew up like a marrow. If I tried to bend at the elbow, it felt like it would burst! I felt like crap for a couple of days and my arm was red hot.
  • Options
    What’s the locale of these little blighters in the U.K. ? Confined to the south or widespread ?
  • Options
    If you draw a line between The Severn Estuary and The Wash you can find them pretty much anywhere below that line. Above it and they tend to be found in highly populated areas (West Midlands, Manchester-Liverpool), by the time you get as far as Scotland they are a lot more sparse.
  • Options
    False widow is a name ascribed to a dozen or so UK spider species, some quite distinct from each other genetically, based chiefly on the markings on the abdomen which sometimes look a bit like a violin
    There are very few UK spider species FW included that have powerful enough bites to break human skin
    None of them are dangerously venomous anywhere close to actual black widow bites Black Widows don’t naturally occur in UK , yet.
    Most significant reactions are caused by allergy in the human The worst reactions are commonly caused by bacterial infection of the wound 
    They’re all best left alone to eat all the other rotten creepy crawlies and each other
    The glass and postcard method is by far the best if you have to evict them
    and aren’t rational enough to pick them up
    Karma is probably also nonsense so if you’re really freaked out just whack it with a trainer 😭😭☠️☠️🕷🕷🕷🕸🕸🕷🕷🕷
  • Options
    Stig said:
    If you draw a line between The Severn Estuary and The Wash you can find them pretty much anywhere below that line. Above it and they tend to be found in highly populated areas (West Midlands, Manchester-Liverpool), by the time you get as far as Scotland they are a lot more sparse.
    Thanks. Why do you think it tends to be distributed in populated urban areas and less so in the more rural locations ? 
  • Options
    I guess the bottom line is that we provide an environment in which they can thrive. Steatoda nobillis love the railings at the top of wooden fences, overlaps of felt roofing, gaps in cladding and the like. Statoda grossa love the railings at the bottom of fences and lowdown around sheds and flower pots. Meanwhile Steatoda bipunctata are attracted to rabbit hutches and similar structures.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Is this little fella a falsie? Don't worry I didn't hurt it, just blew some air on it and it curled up.

Then 5 mins later it's upside down in a web that I didn't even see?

And now it's running! 

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Yes Steatoda nobilis, probably male by the look of the small abdomen.

Edit - and big palps. They're the arm like things at the front that serve, amongst other things, as sex organs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had this monster in the shed earlier. 2 minutes beforehand my hand was there putting back the weed killer! Is it a falsie?
  • Options
    Definitely not a falsie. Difficult to say from that picture. The markings look very similar to a Labyrinth Spider (Agelena labyrinthica), but you don't usually see them away from their very distinctive webs, so I don't think it would be one of those.  I reckon it's probably some sort of House Spider (genus Eratigena) or perhaps Barn Funnel Weaver (Tegenaria domestica).
  • Options
    James86 said:
    Had this monster in the shed earlier. 2 minutes beforehand my hand was there putting back the weed killer! Is it a falsie?
    Burn the shed down
    Debated it at the time. The hoover done it’s job though! 
  • Options
    James86 said:
    No, but these are

• Options
    @Stig do you go out of your way to find these 8 legged creatures or do they just turn up at your place knowing they have a welcoming owner? 
  • Options
    @Karim_myBagheri, I do go out of my way looking for spiders, but I don't have to go for looking for Steatoda, there are always plenty in my loving home  ;)
  • Options
    James86 said:

Yep, had a large one of these fall down onto my hand from a door a couple of months back (mentioned earlier in the thread).  As stated, not a falsie; maybe a sub-species of the common house spider?

FWIW, I'm not a massive fan of arachnids, but these are definitely far more attractive and non threatening than many other species....they're almost cuddly!
  • Options
    Almost
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022

Spent the morning in urgent care yesterday.  Suspected spider bite.  If the redness goes beyond the pen line I have to go to A&E.  Just been given standard antibiotics.

I wouldnt mind, I worked in London Wed - Fri this week and hasnt even venturee into the garden!

• Options
    What sort of spider would cause that?
    Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    I found this 'ghostly' spider on my compost heap

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Friendly Steatoda having a nice little stroll up my arm. BTW, there's some very funny False Widow material in Stewart Lee's Snowflake show. 

• Options
    That's a terrific photograph
    I wonder how many lifers have soiled themselves so far this morning seeing that  :D
  • Options
    False widow spiders?  You mean they're still married and lying about it?
  • Options
    there's absolutely no f**king way that would be having a 'nice little stroll' up my arm !
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Friendly Steatoda having a nice little stroll up my arm. BTW, there's some very funny False Widow material in Stewart Lee's Snowflake show. 

Arm you say!!
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Stig said:

Arm you say!!

• Options
    It seems we've run out of steam with False Widows, so here's a new species to enjoy. The Green Fanged Tube Web Spider. I've a bunch of them up my alley way. This one has made a home out of a hole in my brickwork.