Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

False widow spiders

Comments

• SE7toSG3 said:

Anyone know what this was, lurking in a WWI bunker in Macedonia the other week, my local guide ran off which is never a good sign?

RWR - It's a spider!

I hate the things, but it is unnerving how the human eye is tuned into their movement. Caught one make a dash across the living room carpet the other night. Fastest I have moved in centuries, out of armchair, slipper off, wham! "Sayonara sucker"
    Please Don’t kill them. I don’t like them either but better to pop a glass over them and move them outside.

That's exactly what Mrs Blackpool does while I'm standing on the sofa screaming encouragement.
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Anyone know what this was, lurking in a WWI bunker in Macedonia the other week, my local guide ran off which is never a good sign?

RWR - It's a spider!

I hate the things, but it is unnerving how the human eye is tuned into their movement. Caught one make a dash across the living room carpet the other night. Fastest I have moved in centuries, out of armchair, slipper off, wham! "Sayonara sucker"
    I do the same with dogs in my car. Fairwell fluffy....
  • Newham schools closing because of False widow spiders. No wonder we lost the Empire.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2018-10-03/schools-in-newham-closed-after-spider-infestation/
  • edited October 2018
    What's the difference between the brown ones and the identically shaped black ones with white markings?

I know real black widows have red markings... But been finding these black and white ones in my garage a lot lately.
  • Dazzler21 said:

What's the difference between the brown ones and the identically shaped black ones with white markings?

I know real black widows have red markings... But been finding these black and white ones in my garage a lot lately.

Spray your garage with Raid, takes false widows out as their body are soft shell unlike the normal house spider so it doesn't affect those
  • Found this one the other week on my saw -

• Dazzler21 said:

Hard to say without very close inspection, and often just different colourings within the same species. All false widows are from the genus Steatoda, but there are six species found in the UK. S. nobilis are the ones usually referred to as false widows but S. Grossa are remarkably similar and the others aren't greatly different. If you'd like to post a picture I'll have a go, but it's tricky so I can't make any promises.
  • Found this one the other week on my saw -

That spider has Donald Trump's face on its back, "Let's make spider webs great again!"
  • Newham schools closing because of False widow spiders. No wonder we lost the Empire.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2018-10-03/schools-in-newham-closed-after-spider-infestation/

Just another excuse for teachers to take yet more time off.

Turn the discovery into a nature lesson first, then maths (counting the amount of them then multiplying that number by their leg count etc.), then geography (discussing which spiders are indigenous to which continent) and then a first aid course when someone gets bitten.
  • Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:

Newham schools closing because of False widow spiders. No wonder we lost the Empire.

Just another excuse for teachers to take yet more time off.

Turn the discovery into a nature lesson first, then maths (counting the amount of them then multiplying that number by their leg count etc.), then geography (discussing which spiders are indigenous to which continent) and then a first aid course when someone gets bitten.
    Then law studies when the parents sue.
  • Is this a false widow? Got loads settling in around outside our house

Looks very much like it to me.

Looks very much like it to me.

Arse. Better translocate them to work

Is this a false widow? Got loads settling in around outside our house

Definitely a false widow, as I have said before normal Raid that you use on house flies kills them, good luck
  • Ffs it's only a spider.
    Just do what I do.

Ask the Mrs to get rid of the hideous looking 8 legged monster.

Obviously I would do it myself but I don't want to hurt it.
  • A clue is in the name 'false widow' they are absolutely no harm to you. Leave them be.
  • Stig said:

A clue is in the name 'false widow' they are absolutely no harm to you. Leave them be.

Why are they called false widows are their husbands still alive.
  • Stig said:

A clue is in the name 'false widow' they are absolutely no harm to you. Leave them be.

Never married.
  • Stig said:

You can often see them around the same area. The males are smaller and more weedy looking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Stig said:

You can often see them around the same area. The males are smaller and more weedy looking.
    So they are palarse spiders.
    All talk and no bite.
  • My ten favourite spider encounters this year:

Furrow Orbweaver, Larinioides cornutus

Grey Cross Spider, Larinioides sclopetarius

Candy-striped Spider, Genus Enoplognatha

Nurseryweb Spider, Pisaura mirabilis f

Running Crab Family, Pilidromus dispar m

Walnut Orbweaver, Nuctenea umbractica

Spitting Spider, Scytodes thoracica

Goldenrod Crab Spider, Misumenta vatia

Woodlouse Spider, Dysdera crocata

Wasp Spider, Argiope bruennichi
  • I've got at least six different steatoda all living within a couple of metres of each other in my garden. My guess is that they are all siblings, but I don't know  that.

• Probably. They’ve all got their daddies legs
  • Be careful, I was heading back home as @kellycafc was opening the door I touched the wall and felt something, turns out it was a false widow spider, I believe I moved before it bite me, but be careful as they are clearly around again
  • Why do you believe it was going to bite you?
  • Stig said:
    I've got at least six different steatoda all living within a couple of metres of each other in my garden. My guess is that they are all siblings, but I don't know  that.

What lens do you have?
  • I saw one on my shed this week.
  • We have three in the roof-lantern in our lounge. Pretty much keep themselves to themselves.