Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Costa Rica vs Greece

13»

Comments

• TBH I gave up at extra time on this one and went to bed. I thought Greece were going to pull it back and was surprised to hear CR won on penalties. The Netherlands in their current form would eat either team for breakfast.
    I agree Greece were playing better attacking football, but it still wasn't very good. CR are the only one of England's group to make it to the quarters, which puts the lie to it being such a difficult group, surely?
  • Bolloxdolopodous......................people here watch football in a totally different way to me. Greece made the match attacking even before the sending off. Costa Rica were time wasting from 70mins.
    Sad, the better team didn't go through.

Totally agree.
    Also thought Greece played really well against Cote D'Ivoire
  • Bolloxdolopodous......................people here watch football in a totally different way to me. Greece made the match attacking even before the sending off. Costa Rica were time wasting from 70mins.

...but did the better people go through?
    Eh?

do you mean better team, or the better race?
  • Plenty of cheating and time wasting on show for 60 minutes from the Greeks in their game against Japan.
    Glad they are out.
  • rananegra said:

TBH I gave up at extra time on this one and went to bed. I thought Greece were going to pull it back and was surprised to hear CR won on penalties. The Netherlands in their current form would eat either team for breakfast.
    I agree Greece were playing better attacking football, but it still wasn't very good. CR are the only one of England's group to make it to the quarters, which puts the lie to it being such a difficult group, surely?

Not really, no.

The other qualified team from the England group - Uruguay - had to play (rightly) without their best player - with him in the team their game v Colombia could have been very different.

As for the Italians, they got punished for ill discipline against Uruguay - but they would still give anyone left in this competition a good game.
  • Nothing against Greece, i like them as a team but im glad Costa Rica went through, justice after that blatant handball by the Greek defender.

I would love it if Costa Rica continue to cause another upset in the next round, i don't wanna see Van Persie & Robben lifting the World Cup.
  • The sad thing is that Greece have more heart and are technically better than us.
    Be great to be on a Greek holiday when that goal went it.

Covered end junior is in Corfu.
  • The sad thing is that Greece have more heart and are technically better than us.
    Be great to be on a Greek holiday when that goal went it.

Covered end junior is in Corfu.
    I bet the last thing he's doing is watching the football!
  • Oh I don't know. They (6) possibly watched it & then went clubbing, when it finished.
  • edited June 2014

Bolloxdolopodous......................people here watch football in a totally different way to me. Greece made the match attacking even before the sending off. Costa Rica were time wasting from 70mins.

It's all about opinions.

From my perspective neither team particularly wanted to play in the first half Costa Rica maybe slightly more than Greece but not significantly.

Second half Costa Rica showed more intent to attack and got the goal and had a strong penalty appeal turned down. They then had a man sent off for a second yellow. it was only from then that Greece showed any real attacking intent and to give them credit exploited their numerical advantage better than many teams in similar circumstances. Costa Rica struggled with this and started the time wasting in an attempt to stop Greece building up momentum.

Other teams would have done the same. It doesn't make it right but it's modern football. If Costa Rica had been given the penalty they would have been comfortable at 2-0 and would not have needed to waste time so blatantly so it's swings and roundabouts.
  • Sponsored links:

...but did the better people go through?
    you are so strange.

I agree with Absurdistan. Greece played better ,attacking football. They deserved to go through.
    this but I'm glad Costa Rica went through