Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Ellis left club today

13»

Comments

• Options
    All the very best Paul for the future and thank you.
  • Options
    Thank you for your efforts Paul. Job well done.
  • Options
    Paul has been around ever since I can remember. Alway happy to be involved in anything 'Charlton'. As BC said, another bit of Charlton chipped away. Good luck with the future Paul.

Derek
  • Options
    Another reason why I haven't renewed my s/t
    Another bit of Charlton gone

Soon will have no identity but that's how football's going!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Yeah. Me and my mates, called a G8 meeting, to discuss cancelling our S/Ts, when we heard Paul Ellis had been made redundant. We've asked for a meeting with RD, before we decide on our next move.

No offence to Paul, who I know is Charlton through and through.
  • Options

Yeah. Me any my mates, called a G8 meeting, to discuss cancelling our S/Ts, when we heard Paul Ellis had been made redundant. We've asked for a meeting with RD, before we decide on our next move.

No offence to Paul, who I know is Charlton through and through.

It's ok, I completely agree there's no need to go over the top. I think it's a crying shame that the board are treating Charlton legends such as Paul the way they have, but we support the club not the owners or the board we have before them we will after them. Paul will still be using his season ticket that's for sure.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited July 2014
    Best wishes Paul. I don't know you but I have dealt with you over the years as, being an 'oldish' git, I collect old stuff. I've bought quite a lot of stuff from you in the old club shop days.

Doing stuff for the museum will, probably, be right up your street. :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Another reason why I haven't renewed my s/t
    Another bit of Charlton gone

Soon will have no identity but that's how football's going!

Lol I love the reasons why people refuse to renew tickets, don't think I've heard this1 yet 10/10 for originality.

Don't know the guy, but all the best or the future mr Ellis
  • Options
    I have asked before but can someone advise me what his job was
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Paul has worked for the club officially for fifteen years but for many years before that was a volunteer. He was an original valley party candidate and done pretty well, he attended over 800 consequetive matches home and away and also in addition went to a high proportion of reserve games, he also went china. He was voted our premier league super fan and has his hand print in the premiership hall of fans. He sells and deals in vintage programmes. His main job at the valley was post room but would do anything and everything asked of him he worked in the commercial centre on match days.

• Options
    All sentiment aside, not sure working in the post room and helping out in the commercial centre is going to fly when Mr Restructure comes knocking.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

All sentiment aside, not sure working in the post room and helping out in the commercial centre is going to fly when Mr Restructure comes knocking.

I'm sure g21 can do something about it, or maybe a pissy report in the next fanzine about the clubs disregard for 'legends'
  • Options
    PL54 said:

It's absolutely irrelevant what he done, every company needs people at all levels because you won't catch the big suits doing what Paul done. For years he done work for them for nothing just because he loved the club, over the last 15 years he has been on the payroll but what he earned was very insignificant in the grand scheme of things but the fact is he would have worked for free. Regardless of how unimportant people may think his work was it was still work that needed and still needs doing. The club will never find anyone as hard working and as committed as Paul was just like it would be difficult to find any supporter of any club that has put in as much blood and soul as Paul has over the years.
  • Options

PL54 said:

It's absolutely irrelevant what he done, every company needs people at all levels because you won't catch the big suits doing what Paul done. For years he done work for them for nothing just because he loved the club, over the last 15 years he has been on the payroll but what he earned was very insignificant in the grand scheme of things but the fact is he would have worked for free. Regardless of how unimportant people may think his work was it was still work that needed and still needs doing. The club will never find anyone as hard working and as committed as Paul was just like it would be difficult to find any supporter of any club that has put in as much blood and soul as Paul has over the years.

Maybe the current owners owe nobody anything, especially a 95% of the fans will have no clue who he is... just like poyet owes RD nothing (apples and oranges I know). I'm just fed up of people digging at the board at every single oppotunity.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

PL54 said:

Maybe the current owners owe nobody anything, especially a 95% of the fans will have no clue who he is... just like poyet owes RD nothing (apples and oranges I know). I'm just fed up of people digging at the board at every single oppotunity.
    Every long lasting fan that went away would recognise him, every fan that remembers the exile and supported the valley party would know him, every fan from the premier league years that followed the hall of fame would know of him, every fan that ever wondered past him all those years he was stationed in the corner of the club shop would recognise him as would everyone he helped with travel arrangements, valley reviews, or just in general as well as all those that over the many years and thousands of matches. That equates to a lot more than 5%.

Also no one speaking for Paul is having a dig at the board we have just merely stated he was treated a bit unfairly in the way they went about things.
  • Options
    I think many fans would work for free just to help our club climb up the greasy ladder (again). It appears that many fans have had the priviledge of working for the club over the years and Paul (and his representatives on here) have shown us all how to move on with dignity while making a quiet statement.

I really hope that the new owner allows the fans to help out in the future by donating casual labour and time. Last summer Razil and I approached the club with some ideas about mobilising the army that is Charlton supporters. Unfortunately the timing was wrong as the owners at that time were simply focussed on selling the club but we did organize some flyer distribution for the Wigan game which led to another 15 or so volunteers coming forwards.

Every journey starts with a few steps.
  • Options

shine166 said:

PL54 said:

Every long lasting fan that went away would recognise him, every fan that remembers the exile and supported the valley party would know him, every fan from the premier league years that followed the hall of fame would know of him, every fan that ever wondered past him all those years he was stationed in the corner of the club shop would recognise him as would everyone he helped with travel arrangements, valley reviews, or just in general as well as all those that over the many years and thousands of matches. That equates to a lot more than 5%.

Also no one speaking for Paul is having a dig at the board we have just merely stated he was treated a bit unfairly in the way they went about things.
    Lol ok I may have understated it, but 'every' fan may be a slight exaggeration on your part.

I went to all home games from the porta cabin days Until around 2002 and don't have a scooby who he is by name.
  • Options
    Hope this helps
  • Options
    Sadie I have supported the club for over 50 years but for the last 10 mainly at away matches and I have never knowingly seen Paul. That does not take away anything from him or his devotion to the club for which I thank him, nor does it excuse the club if they mishandled his redundancy or whoever prematurely announced it on CL.

But do understand that there are a number of supporters who just turn up for the football and don't know anyone at the club so please don't exaggerate your argument which is a good one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unfortunately, you're wasting your time @sadiejane1981‌
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    LoOkOuT said:

Unfortunately, you're wasting your time @sadiejane1981‌

It seems that way *sigh*
  • Options
    All proper Charlton recognise Paul Ellis :-)
  • Options

Hope this helps

Nope, but I still wish him all the best.
  • Options
    I am not sure how to highlight comments on the phone - however I will say that Airmans comments above re staffing departures are absolutely on the money, even more so with the recent departures of relatively low paid long serving staff.
  • Options
    oh Airman do stop giving out inuendos and not detailed facts, either come out or shut up, oh yes of course you can't come out because you probably signed a confidentuality agreement to get your money instead of giving chapter and verse at a tribunal, or if you can give details it will be a book or VoV.
    As it is your diatribe sounds like the words of a bitter man, move on.
  • Options
    I remember Paul from way back even when I traveled away on the coaches in the early 80's along with Bill Treadgold , Wally Smith etc... . I was only young at the time but they were great memories . He is Charlton through and through and it's a crying Shame that someone feels he's not needed any more.
    Good luck Paul.