Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Costa Rica

Comments

• Options
    Smalling, Jones, Lampard & Gerrard need to not be seen in England shirts again. Thanks for everything Lamps & Gerrard but no more for us, please.
  • Options

These players can't wait to get on that plane.

Neither can I, thank Christ thats over.
  • Options
    Piss off Roy, what game were you watching and please remember it was only Costa Rica jeez
  • Options

No surprise that yet again we look much worse with Rooney and Gerrard on the pitch.

Really? We didn't score in the 70 minutes odd prior to their introduction either.

It was all a steaming pile of shite with nil nil written all over it.
    We actually created chances in the 70 minutes previous. Had Sturridge not been so poor we'd have scored 2.

Gerrard and Rooney come on and its back to nothingness.
  • Options
    Thought Lamps did ok
  • Options
    Decent performance - although the knee-jerk brigade will obviously see it differently.

I was absolutely embarrassed by our performance in 2006 and 2010 when we basically appeared to have no pattern of play or tactics whatsoever but here in all three games we have looked like a team trying to do things the right way.

It was a horrible, horrible group to be drawn in and we have basically paid the price for defensive mistakes and a failure to take chances - yes, I am looking at you Wayne.

However, we actually looked to be playing some very reasonable, patient football and in the likes of Sturridge, Sterling, Barkley, Wilshire, Shaw and others we really look to have some great young players coming through.

Its disappointing to go out but I think the results don't always tell the whole story, we could easily have drawn with Italy and beaten Uruguay but the key moments went against us this time - the margins of error are just so small.
  • Options
    they should be boooed off the plane, apart from useful flashes against italy, we saw little spirit, they were technically inept & tactically naive. so nice to see some fresher names/faces doing well this time around - costa rica, iran, mexico for example...c'mon reza, finish the job against bosnia...
  • Options

Decent performance - although the knee-jerk brigade will obviously see it differently.

I was absolutely embarrassed by our performance in 2006 and 2010 when we basically appeared to have no pattern of play or tactics whatsoever but here in all three games we have looked like a team trying to do things the right way.

It was a horrible, horrible group to be drawn in and we have basically paid the price for defensive mistakes and a failure to take chances - yes, I am looking at you Wayne.

However, we actually looked to be playing some very reasonable, patient football and in the likes of Sturridge, Sterling, Barkley, Wilshire, Shaw and others we really look to have some great young players coming through.

Its disappointing to go out but I think the results don't always tell the whole story, we could easily have drawn with Italy and beaten Uruguay but the key moments went against us this time - the margins of error are just so small.

whilst I agree with you, Sturridge probably missed more chances than Rooney. His touch today was terrible .
  • Options

Are you Roy in disguise?
  • Options
    Reading some of these rather savage comments, I wonder why anyone would risk playing for England in the future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

whilst I agree with you, Sturridge probably missed more chances than Rooney. His touch today was terrible .
    He did but that was a great piece of football to play the one-two with Wilshire to create the chance in the first place.

For me the Rooney header against Uruguay was the turning point, it was not an easy chance and he did well to even connect but if that had gone in....
  • Options
    Costa Rica were dogshit today, and we still couldn't beat them. Both teams were so dire, most boring game of the WC so far.

As good as Shaw, Sterling, Lallanna etc are, I don't think the future will be anywhere near as bright as some are hoping it to be. Especially not under Hodgson.
  • Options
    Tactics are shit. We are not that good technically so why try and play that way... We should play two centre forwards and two proper wingers and get the ball in the box.
  • Options

It was a horrible, horrible group to be drawn in

How far do you think Costa Rica and Uruguay will go in the knockout stage?
  • Options
    cs1986 said:

Tactics are shit. We are not that good technically so why try and play that way... We should play two centre forwards and two proper wingers and get the ball in the box.

difficult to accept that we are so far behind the powerhouse nations, but agree cs1986
  • Options
    A big thing for me is that Sturridge is a very good striker - not a great one. Maybe that is a position where a big difference can be found - either by Sturridge improving or England finding an alternative.
  • Options
    poor but not the worst game

Costa Rica were only in 2nd gear.

probably deserved 3 draws meaning we would still be bottom and going home.

Roy what game was you watching ?

Far to many players just wanted this game to be over

Great support for a shit team

• Options
    IA said:

Costa Rica were poor today - but nobody beats Uruguay and Italy unless they are a very decent side.

As for Uruguay, it depends on whether Suarez is banned, if he is available then with Cavani they can make the QFs and maybe the SFs.

Compare the England group with the Colombia - Ivory Coast - Japan - Greece group or take your pick of Groups E, F or H all of which are weak outside the #1 seeded team.

The only group harder than England's was the Holland - Spain - Chile - Australia group which (excluding the Aussies) contains three very, very good sides.
  • Options
    Glad I didn't bother with it. Jokers.
  • Options
    Rubbish .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

IA said:

Costa Rica were poor today - but nobody beats Uruguay and Italy unless they are a very decent side.

As for Uruguay, it depends on whether Suarez is banned, if he is available then with Cavani they can make the QFs and maybe the SFs.

Compare the England group with the Colombia - Ivory Coast - Japan - Greece group or take your pick of Groups E, F or H all of which are weak outside the #1 seeded team.

The only group harder than England's was the Holland - Spain - Chile - Australia group which (excluding the Aussies) contains three very, very good sides.
    Fair enough. I think the group looked more difficult on paper than it really was. I also think the German, Swiss and Brazilian groups are more difficult (ie if England replaced Portugal, France or Croatia, we would probably be having the same conversation).

You compare it to Colombia's group, who they'll face in the 2nd round. I think one at most of Uruguay/Costa Rica will progress to quarter finals, and neither will reach the semi-finals. I'd probably back both Costa Rica and Uruguay to go out in the 2nd round, to be honest.
  • Options

Great post. I think people are being overly critical and a bit unfair on England. I much preferred watching this England team to the ones we had in '06 and '10 even if we did get further.
  • Options
    Wilshere is a good player but surrounded by crap players and zero movement for England.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Wilshire, Shelvey and Barkley in the middle is the future - Euro 2016. Can't see why we can't still use Gerrard from the bench - clearly has a desire to continue!
  • Options
    Wish we could get Prandelli as manager, just resigned so its possible.
  • Options
    Oh, damn. I've missed the match.

• Options
    IA said:

IA said:

Fair enough. I think the group looked more difficult on paper than it really was. I also think the German, Swiss and Brazilian groups are more difficult (ie if England replaced Portugal, France or Croatia, we would probably be having the same conversation).

You compare it to Colombia's group, who they'll face in the 2nd round. I think one at most of Uruguay/Costa Rica will progress to quarter finals, and neither will reach the semi-finals. I'd probably back both Costa Rica and Uruguay to go out in the 2nd round, to be honest.
    Its so hard to make comparisons between teams but England have been exposed by two world-class strikers, Balotelli and Suarez, and if you look at how other decent technical teams fail to score goals at crucial times you can see how much more dangerous it is to face teams with those types of players in them.

Facing strikers like that is basically often the difference between drawing 1-1 and losing 2-1!
  • Options
    another odd decision by Roy though, just as Lallana was starting to stretch their defence with some decent movement, he is taken off, exactly the same happened to Sterling against Uruguay, both bizarre decisions IMHO.

Disappointing, though not surprising world cup, but if you are going to make a big point of taking youngsters, like Shaw, Barkeley or Lallana they should play, not be bought on for a dead rubber or the end of a match we are chasing after the old guard and Glen Johnson have let us down.
  • Options

IA said:

IA said:

Its so hard to make comparisons between teams but England have been exposed by two world-class strikers, Balotelli and Suarez, and if you look at how other decent technical teams fail to score goals at crucial times you can see how much more dangerous it is to face teams with those types of players in them.

Facing strikers like that is basically often the difference between drawing 1-1 and losing 2-1!
    OK fair comment. I agree with the rest of what you say though. Far better than 2010 and trying to do things in the right way. I don't think it would be right to expect huge success any time soon, but could be some progress.
  • Options
    I was all for Roy before the tournament but I now have serious doubts about is in game decision making.