Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PROTEST (old thread)

Comments

• Options
    But that was never going to happen Rob
    If we went down those players wouldn't have Nesc wanted to stay

If they were to be signed it should've been before RD

• Options
    edited May 2014

But that was never going to happen Rob
    If we went down those players wouldn't have Nesc wanted to stay

If they were to be signed it should've been before RD

Of course, but they simply didn't have the money. Roland did, but decided against it. He is the owner and it is of course his choice, but personally I think he will be regretting the decision now that he will have to spend a fair amount of money replacing these players. Going down next year won't even save £4m ;p
  • Options
    I for one will continue stamping my feet and raising my fist until I get what I want.......and when do I want it......NOW!
  • Options
    And that's how RD will learn through this pocket not by protests and a little unrest

When he makes a decision that costs him money I very much doubt he will make it twice
  • Options
    I think it's quite clear we've got 2 separate groups regarding how we view RD. What I don't quite get from the pro-RD people is the point that 'he brought in a manager who saved us at short notice'. Yes, he did but he then sacked him because he refused to play the obviously not good enough players from his network. Surely that issue carries more weight than the fact that he brought the manager in in the first place? It is clear that RD was under the illusion that Riga WOULD play the network players before he joined, and I'm sure had he not sacked Powell only 2 months prior and it had been the beginning of the season he would've got rid of Riga too
  • Options

I think it's quite clear we've got 2 separate groups regarding how we view RD. What I don't quite get from the pro-RD people is the point that 'he brought in a manager who saved us at short notice'. Yes, he did but he then sacked him because he refused to play the obviously not good enough players from his network. Surely that issue carries more weight than the fact that he brought the manager in in the first place? It is clear that RD was under the illusion that Riga WOULD play the network players before he joined, and I'm sure had he not sacked Powell only 2 months prior and it had been the beginning of the season he would've got rid of Riga too

he never sacked him, he just didn't offer an extended contract
  • Options

Same difference, he was more than good enough, he wanted to stay. Only reason he wasn't offered the contract was because he refused to play Roland's players!
  • Options
    Yawn yawn yawn yawn
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Remind me. Was the Standard Liege fans' protest before or after they won the league?

They didn't win it. Anderlecht did.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Same difference, he was more than good enough, he wanted to stay. Only reason he wasn't offered the contract was because he refused to play Roland's players!
    Oh you know that for sure do you?
  • Options
    No one does and tbh if that's how it is then that's how it is

If RD Fuks it up then atleast of he does that it looks like only his money will be wasted and we won't go into admin

Chances are he won't fudge it up and it will all work out ok
  • Options

That's the conclusion the fans have to make given what people from inside the club have said.
  • Options
    I don't think we can praise Duchatalet for signing Riga, Powell had agreed a contract with him after all, Riga had an impact of course but I think Duchatelet was only indirectly responsible. I'll wait until seeing what we do in the summer but Dyer's comments are worrying
  • Options

That's the conclusion the fans have to make given what people from inside the club have said.
    The only comments we've had were from Dyer and that was regarding Powell.

Dyer worked with both and he never mentioned Riga got told who to play did he?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Why do we have to be more Belgium than Belgium?

Belgium owner.Belgium coach.Belgium players.

What is the infatuation? Roland is a bloody Belgiumaniac that's why.

Have a day off from stuffing your waffles down our throats FFS fella. This is England.
  • Options
    Personally I think we should learn from the RD response to the SL fans' style of protest. Perhaps intelligent diplomacy is a better bet than militancy.

i still don't think it's entirely clear what RD's plans are or how the club will develop. Until there's something a bit more tangible in terms of a threat to the club I think our time would be better spent building more constructive relationships with the club and see how we can influence from a position of mutual respect. To me this is part of the role of CAS Trust. We have a lot of talents to build the club, to maximise its potential for and with its owners, and if we assume a successful Charlton has some import to RD - even if it's only to enhance SL - well at least there's a common ground with which to start.
  • Options
    To think, the only Belgian I could name twelve months ago was Poirot! If it all goes tits up at least I'll be a little bit wiser.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Right protest it is then. With us all being mild mannered train spotting Charlton types I have jotted down a quick illustration of what will be needed...

• Options
    Protest against what....?!?!

He bought a struggling club and kept us in the division. It wasn't his fault that the majority of player contracts were ending in the summer & why should he offer them new deal when he had no idea which division we would be in. And - it's not his fault that some players are now choosing to go elsewhere despite being offered a new deal...

I agree that the players he's brought across from the network have not been up to scratch but let's just wait until the season starts as to who we have in out starting 11 - O'Grady is not a 'network player'...

So please will everyone just have some patience....!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That we ain't in the champions league
  • Options

Have a day off from stuffing your waffles down our throats FFS fella. This is England.

We don't actually have a Belgium player.
  • Options
    First time poster ... I've read this thread from start to finish and see a lot of for and against posts re RD,s regime....IMO it seems a bit too early to be thinking of organising protests but as supporters (customers) we should have a voice to the owner... Preferably thru CAST....no business can ignore its customers concerns and the most successful businesses inform and engage with their clients . didn't katrien promise a meet after the season finished ?? Anyway in the meantime I think we are just going to have to put up with being led by a man who does things his way... As some have already said, when it hits his wallet, he'll learn very fast.... Finally it struck me that we have 2 supporter camps.... And one who are considering revolting... Reminded me of the life of Brian sketch.... A band threatening to overturn the Roman empire ... Or should I say RD empire.... Should ours be called " the people's front of Charlton... PFC.... Or will they be the splinter group.... "Charlton peoples front... CPF ...!!!!!! Either way they did a lot of talking but weren't very effective !!!!
  • Options
    I'm not pro RD nor anti RD.

All I am certain of, is that without him, at this moment, we are in a bit of bother.

He hasn't renamed our stadium to something ridiculous, he HAS invested in our training facilities, he HAS tied some youngsters down to longer contracts. He IS trying to secure Morro & Poyet. He IS trying to get the highest academy status so we attract and keep talented youngsters, not to mention keeping big sharks of our assets.

Granted, a few decent players have left, which comes across as a whim, but how do we know he didn't do his utmost to keep some of them. Why overpay players?

Yes, I understand Robs point, that it should never of got into this situation. But it has happened, he's bucking the trend, and attempting to put this club in a decent position, with FFP coming in.

I also understand people's concerns, but I'm gonna relax and give it a chance.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Though i suspect there is a bit of mischief making in the starting of this thread, lets not take the pee out of those concerned about the future direction of the club.

These things only carry any weight when there is a real consensus.

At the moment there is not.

The stream of news may be disappointing but it is certainly not the time to make a snap judgement on any form of action, supportive or anti.

How things evolve over the coming months will determine whether this is likely to be a happy marriage or not.

Whilst I agree with the first part of your post, I don't agree that the stream of news may be a disappointment.

What we have at the moment is

1. Clear out of Powell's squad players.
    2. The loss of a keeper whom many didn't rate at the end of his contract to a Premier League team
    3. The loss of an out of contract defender who only very recently made the position his own to a Club who really do have more money than sense.
    4. The appointment of an unknown manager to replace an unknown manager who made a great impression on us all.
    5. The first of many signings being lined up
    6. Wilson signed up
    7. Offer to Poyet
    8. Pitch relaid
    9. Training ground development
    10. Matthews staying
    11. Youth team management reorganised

My view only 4. is really disappointing beyond what we might have expected. Peeters could just as easily turn out to be much better than JR.

It's far too early to be "going to the matresses" in my view. I also have no doubt that RD & Co know very well what we can achieve if things do start to really go awry.

He took over at a very dangerous time for our club. Some decisions my have been wrong but getting Riga in was the key to saving the season.

• Options

Here is a different scenario, as plausible as your interpretation and I am not saying it's right.

RD is a strategist, he bought Charlton with a strategy in his mind. CP was going to be replaced at the end of his contract, another manager / coach was lined up to takeover at the end of the season (Bob). CP was not going to play ball, so RD brings forward the parting of the ways but Bob won't leave during the season, so he needs a temp, in comes Riga. Riga is a diversion from the strategy. At the end of the season RD flirts on the adrenaline rush of avoiding relegation with keeping Riga but he's an unemotional man and Riga wants input on purchase, he reverts to his original strategy and brings in Bob.

• Options
    Talal said:

There really are some weird weird people who post on here

How did you get that pic of me
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

We don't actually have a Belgium player.
    ......yet

• Options

Talal said:

There really are some weird weird people who post on here

How did you get that pic of me

Not happy with the highlights then fella? ;-)

* sorry, must be getting old now*
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    You can't have a protest in the summer so there's not much point in getting excited either way IMO. Time enough for conclusions to be drawn when the season starts.