Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eminem

Comments

• Options
    Will the real east standers, please siddarn, please siddarn...
  • Options
    I like Eminem a lot. I like his early stuff but Recovery that was released 3 years or so ago was excellent. His movie, Eight Mile, was also excellent. I don't like all the swearing but that's Rap music I suppose.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

My girlfriend has bought her brother tickets for his birthday.

I like him, but personally expect quite a chavvy turn out... Early A Block get together?

Hang on....your girlfriend has bought her brother tickets for Eminem's birthday ?

• Options
    You said Andre300, Mac Miller and Macklemore. I would class that as pop.
  • Options
    Add krs one to that list

Love him, the marshal mathers lp was genius just don't ever listen to it on your own with a bottle of dimple. Dark times them

Got all of his stuff been to see him live, the guy is so brutally honest more so in his early stuff and his star has risen. Hence collaborations with pop stars. Which Dido wasn't when he sampled her on Stan.

His humour is razor sharp too. Who else has made a record that features a track graphically detailing murdering your wife and another a very funny track about the dangers of drugs. And makes it sound good?
  • Options
    tom- k said:

LOL at Andre 3000 being pop. If a hip hop artist's songs are popular enough to enter pop charts it doesn't make the artist pop. There's a big difference between that and specifically aiming songs at the pop chart. Having said that, Outkast probably did aim for commercial success with 'Hey Ya' etc but there's no way you can call ATliens and their other early ones pop.

Not sure how you can call Mac Miller pop either - I've never heard him on the radio. Macklemore has (really) only had one album and there were a fair few singles from that so the jury's out on that one. I hated Thrift Shop passionately but someone convinced me to listen to the album and it's straight hip hop.
  • Options
    I liked his second album Marshall mathers when it came out & saw him at the docklands London arena which in all honesty was a very good show but I think it was a phase as I was 19. There's no way in the world I would go to a gig now where the artist shout things like put your trigger finger in the air or run around on stage with a petrol hedge cutter wearing a mask. I think it's rap for the middle class teens & I'm not in that catagory any more
  • Options
    Can't stand (c)rap.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

JaShea99 said:

DRAddick said:

Don't like the bloke and I don't like rap music...... apart from some of his. There's no doubt he's a great poet, lyricist and musician. It helps that he's about the only rapper who I can actually understand what he's saying and who isn't totally destroying the English language.

That's quite an ignorant comment. Nas, Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, Blu, Andre 3000, J Cole, RA Scion, Mac Miller Macklemore. Just off the top of my head.

He is a genius, and I've got my tickets. It amazes me how some older hip hop fans still refuse to acknowledge that he's the best to ever do it.

I can also understand if he's not your cup of tea, or hip hop isn't your thing; it would be boring if we all liked the same music, but I don't understand sweeping statements like the above.
    It's not a sweeping statement. I started off by saying straight away I don't like the music style which tells you I'm not gonna go looking for it and then specified "...who I can understand". Whenever I hear rap music, which most of the time is inadvertently, I genuinely haven't got a clue what they are saying, it could be a completely different language as far as I'm concerned......apart from Eminem. There may well be others out who make the effort to speak properly. Maybe it's also an age thing and my ear isn't attuned to it.
    You need to listen to akala... A philosopher that happens to rhyme rather than a rapper, genius
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it sold out?
  • Options

His "please stand up" line will put off a lot of Charlton fans.

His 'tea's gone cold' line will have the east stand relating to his music.
  • Options
    Can't get enough of the peanut ones. Not too keen on the chocolate variety though..................
  • Options
    Eminem is brilliant, he had a couple of shit years (when he was on sleeping pills and just about every other drug)
    But his newest album was quality.
  • Options
    His old buts were quality. I've lost count the amount of times I've played the ss LP and the only Eminem album that I still have in my phone. Just out of interest, is anyone going to see Action Bronson this Saturday?
  • Options
    May I have your attention please...

Would the real dave2l please login,

I repeat, would the real dave2l please login

Gana have a problem here
  • Options
    tom- k said:

Listen to any Outkast song that isn't Hey Ya.
  • Options
    Love Eminem - "My name is" was the first single i ever bought on cassette and loved listening to his albums over the years. I missed him last time he was in England when he said it was the "last ever". When i heard the dates of his Wembley performances i was gutted because i will be at EDC in Milton Keynes instead. Maybe one day he will return again.
  • Options
    He's very decent, but look at it this way, would he have had as much success if he was black? Not on your nelly. Macklemore (who is more pop) freely admits his race has had a major part in getting a major record deal etc.

Much better hip hop around if you're prepared to look.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

tom- k said:

Yes, Ms Jackson. True hip hop classic right there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am a fan. As others have stated, his earlier work was brilliant and his later work is OK with 3-4 standout tracks on each album. My favorite album is actually Relapse, though I realize I'm in a minority there.

'Rap God' on his latest album really is a masterpiece.
  • Options

His "please stand up" line will put off a lot of Charlton fans.

I am taking my two herberts (we have perfect level 2 tickets overlooking the stage) and only standing up I'll be doing will be going to the bar....

Btw, I literally haven't a clue what all the previous posts are on about.

• Options
    One of the best artists ever in my opinion. Granted, I can relate to his stuff more than most because of my age and I did grow up listening to him, but the guys a genius.

Sold out his first show in 45 min I'm told, but managed to get standing for the second one, which is the day after. £82 may seem a bit much, but I honestly would have paid about £200 for those tickets. Not missing this
  • Options
    tom- k said:

tom- k said:

Yes, Ms Jackson. True hip hop classic right there.
    Do hope you're not being sarcastic?

Aquemini and ATLiens are fantastic hip hop albums.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

DRAddick said:

Don't like the bloke and I don't like rap music...... apart from some of his. There's no doubt he's a great poet, lyricist and musician. It helps that he's about the only rapper who I can actually understand what he's saying and who isn't totally destroying the English language.

That's quite an ignorant comment. Nas, Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, Blu, Andre 3000, J Cole, RA Scion, Mac Miller Macklemore. Just off the top of my head.

He is a genius, and I've got my tickets. It amazes me how some older hip hop fans still refuse to acknowledge that he's the best to ever do it.

I can also understand if he's not your cup of tea, or hip hop isn't your thing; it would be boring if we all liked the same music, but I don't understand sweeping statements like the above.
    100% agree.

Gang Starr
    Chuck D
    Plan B
    Illogic
    Roni Size

....not all rappers destroy the English language.
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

I like him, but personally expect quite a chavvy turn out... Early A Block get together?

Hang on....your girlfriend has bought her brother tickets for Eminem's birthday ?

why is that strange?
  • Options
    Like him or not, you cant say hes not a lyrical genius, also writes some very funny and random stuff, and hes the only rap artist i know who doesn't use the N word in every line and talk about how rich he is, listen to his songs clearly.
  • Options
    Let's face facts, he is nuts for real, but he's OK with that.
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

Yeah, Em' is a good friend of ours. We thought it would make his day to know he was entertaining her brother ;)

I should really proof-read posts and make sure they make sense before I post them! It's her brothers birthday next month, so we got him tickets to see Eminem. I hope that's clearer ;)
  • Options
    I don't know why I was hopeful of a half decent hip hop discussion from this site but can't help laughing at the "Eminem is the only rapper who..." comments. And that's coming from someone who has Em as his number 1.

Yep, he's the only white rapper, every other rapper speaks foreign and I'm not 100% but I believe he invented the genre.