Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Greenwich Uni to be new sponsor?

Comments

• Where
    Nug said:

Nice one. I was just about to post "Where's Nug with a mock up?" : - )
  • Perhaps it's this Greenwich University?

greenwich.pk/
  • Ross said:

Some people won't be happy unless we get an exclusive deal with Microsoft, with £50 notes raining down Argentina '78 style before each home game.
    And some won't be happy unless we fund greenpeace, the Red Cross and the Sally Army in a deal.

Microsoft next shirt sponsors and we're playing at the Greenpeace Valley? Source?
    At least with the Greenpeace Valley we will always have grass on our pitch.
    At the Greenpeace Valley, we'd have a whale of a time.
  • PL54 said:

University Of Greenwich - surely they mean West Woolwich College ?

All very benevolent but we need cash not goodwill.

Think you will find that UoG is more cash rich than Andrews are, and the turn over is also bigger. It also has a reasonable marketing budget.

A lot of Universities have been putting aside money for the last few years so are comparatively wealthy. If it is a deal that provides cash into the club, gives better facilities at sparrow's lane, and supports a local community then that must be a good thing.

Just for the record, UoG hasn't been in Woolwich for some time. It has around 30,000 students and provides good quality teaching to students who rate it as one of the top Universities for student satisfaction. It has a number of world class research centres which compete with any University in the world. It has good community links and there are a number of joint projects between the University and the trust.
  • Ross said:

Some people won't be happy unless we get an exclusive deal with Microsoft, with £50 notes raining down Argentina '78 style before each home game.
    And some won't be happy unless we fund greenpeace, the Red Cross and the Sally Army in a deal.

Microsoft next shirt sponsors and we're playing at the Greenpeace Valley? Source?
    At least with the Greenpeace Valley we will always have grass on our pitch.
    At the Greenpeace Valley, we'd have a whale of a time.
    There you go again 'spouting' off, getting our hopes up :-)
  • This would make sense. A strategic partner ploughing a couple of million into the training ground development. They get use of the facilities and shirt advertising...

Gone from 500k (which was v high imo) to 2m now. Danger of these numbers becoming "FACT" : - )

Let's wait and see if it is true and what the investment is and in what form. Cash? Contra?

Also I think there is a danger of seeing everything as part of a clever thought out strategy rather than taking advantage of an opportunity that arises.
    Ok... I apologise for giving misleading information. I have no idea if UoG will invest £2m in CAFC but it was just an educated guess based on its annual report from 2013 and that they're investing £76m in an academic and library facility in Greenwich Town Centre. UoG aren't short of a few bob. The balance sheet can be seen here
  • vffvff
    edited May 2014

Stig said:

What's a contra deal?
    Nothing to do with these fellas, I hope:

Hope it is. Viva la revolution!
    That would be viva la counter revolution ?
  • FWIW - Millwall only had Prostate Cancer as their sponsor as they couldn't get anything else.

This was their plan Z

Nobody else wanted to be associated with them
  • This would make sense. A strategic partner ploughing a couple of million into the training ground development. They get use of the facilities and shirt advertising...

Gone from 500k (which was v high imo) to 2m now. Danger of these numbers becoming "FACT" : - )

Let's wait and see if it is true and what the investment is and in what form. Cash? Contra?

Also I think there is a danger of seeing everything as part of a clever thought out strategy rather than taking advantage of an opportunity that arises.
    Ok... I apologise for giving misleading information. I have no idea if UoG will invest £2m in CAFC but it was just an educated guess based on its annual report from 2013 and that they're investing £76m in an academic and library facility in Greenwich Town Centre. UoG aren't short of a few bob. The balance sheet can be seen here

Agree that U of G have money and, if it is true, would be a good partner for lots of reasons but how it benefits Charlton financially now is still very important.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can they go retro with a Thames Poly logo ?
  • vffvff
    edited May 2014

• vffvff
    edited May 2014

dizzee said:

vff said:

Charlton is in Greenwich. Greenwich is a university. It is not a dodgy lending company. Whats not to like ?

Universities are one of the most corrupt institutions. And student loans are 'a dodgy lending company'.
    Re the first statement: I don't have an opinion either way, but any evidence?

Re the second statement: as it looks like an awful lot of student loans will end up being written off, they're dodgy for the Exchequer. I guess that's not what you meant, though.
    dizzee said:

vff said:

Charlton is in Greenwich. Greenwich is a university. It is not a dodgy lending company. Whats not to like ?

Universities are one of the most corrupt institutions. And student loans are 'a dodgy lending company'.
    I take it that you are an ex student / student 'benefitting' from a student loan.

Universities corrupt ? You will have to explain that one.
  • Swisdom said:

FWIW - Millwall only had Prostate Cancer as their sponsor as they couldn't get anything else.

This was their plan Z

I was told my a millwall supporting colleague that they turned down a loan company as sponsor as they didnt want to look like they endorsed it and as there was no other offers on the table they went with charity
  • dizzee said:

vff said:

Re the second statement: as it looks like an awful lot of student loans will end up being written off, they're dodgy for the Exchequer. I guess that's not what you meant, though.
    Re student loans, they are did get for anyone who as any ambition to do reasonably well in life. If that happens then they will end up paying back eight or nine times what they borrowed! If they do really well they will end up paying more than 20 times what they borrowed! That is wonga proportions of interest!

• Wasn't it Woolwich Poly?

Did part of an MA at Greenwich a few years back, can't say my satisfaction levels were that high, it was not good..
  • universities, particularly the old polys now have a shit tonne of money coming in after the fees changed. My old uni (uni of west london) have basically built a new SU building and renovated the big lecture halls almost immediatley after the intake of £6-9k students. I think they've built a new "student village" nearby so you can move out of halls and go there. That and the new crossrail making ealing broadway - tottenham court rd a 10 min journey makes me feel i was born a few years too early! But i digress...

Hopefully we can really help each other. Happy with this sponser if true.
  • When it's on the OS.
  • Swisdom said:

FWIW - Millwall only had Prostate Cancer as their sponsor as they couldn't get anything else.

This was their plan Z

I was told my a millwall supporting colleague that they turned down a loan company as sponsor as they didnt want to look like they endorsed it and as there was no other offers on the table they went with charity
    I think this is true
  • Sponsored links:

• dizzee said:

vff said:

Re student loans, they are did get for anyone who as any ambition to do reasonably well in life. If that happens then they will end up paying back eight or nine times what they borrowed! If they do really well they will end up paying more than 20 times what they borrowed! That is wonga proportions of interest!

Actually, its the opposite. The better you do, the sooner you pay off the debt, so the less interest accrues. The people who end up paying the most back are in the middle.
  • Greg said:

dizzee said:

vff said:

Actually, its the opposite. The better you do, the sooner you pay off the debt, so the less interest accrues. The people who end up paying the most back are in the middle.
    It would work like that if it wasn't for the fees added for early repayment making it significantly worse than it should be!
  • Bloody Tax Dodgers!! ;-)
  • Here's hoping there are alumni rates on the kit then.

Bigger university then most would realise, cash rich, very well regarded on a number of levels, and one of the most beautiful campuses outside Oxbridge.
  • vff said:

dizzee said:

vff said:

dizzee said:

vff said:

I take it that you are an ex student / student 'benefitting' from a student loan.

Universities corrupt ? You will have to explain that one.
    If you mean me, yes I am an ex-student, but I benefited from a grant. I don't look old enough? You're too kind.
  • I don't know all the ins and outs of the Academy categorisation so might be irrelevant, but is there any chance that a "strategic partnership" with the University of Greenwich could also benefit our application for Tier 1 status in terms of the number of academic teaching hours for academy players?