Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Greenwich Uni to be new sponsor?

Comments

• This would make sense. A strategic partner ploughing a couple of million into the training ground development. They get use of the facilities and shirt advertising...
  • If its less then thats a huge pro RD tick in the box for me.

Benefits such as the provision of free education for our football scholars is also highly laudable.

All the evidence seems to be for long term community based thinking from the Chairman. Id almost be disappointed if it turns out to be financially attractive.

Let's wait and see.

Financially attractive means more to spend on renewing player contracts.

All the community benefits you mention are good but it shouldn't be either/or.
    Wonga or Bet365 or Razzle would pay us a premium

More absorbing I see....

• More importantly let's see if they can be more imaginative with the colour of the away shirt this time instead of the usual white or black
  • IA said:

you all have missed the most important point that the university's logo is BLUE - yuk

I was distracted by the font.

For that logo to go on a shirt, it will need a big white background.
    Not necessarily. The logo itself could be in white.
    I'm not a design nerd, but I think that font in white on red shirts would not be very readable.
  • University Of Greenwich - surely they mean West Woolwich College ?

All very benevolent but we need cash not goodwill.
  • This would make sense. A strategic partner ploughing a couple of million into the training ground development. They get use of the facilities and shirt advertising...

Gone from 500k (which was v high imo) to 2m now. Danger of these numbers becoming "FACT" : - )

Let's wait and see if it is true and what the investment is and in what form. Cash? Contra?

Also I think there is a danger of seeing everything as part of a clever thought out strategy rather than taking advantage of an opportunity that arises.
  • I wonder if this was in place a couple of years ago, when we ran out of money to upgrade the training ground, didn't Andrews come in at the last moment for two years running to be our shirts sponsors? Or is my memory slipping?
  • I hope we have it away for free then when we sign Marcus bent and pawell Abbott

We can say it's cos we are skint
  • More importantly let's see if they can be more imaginative with the colour of the away shirt this time instead of the usual white or black

Nothing wrong with Black and White though which we won the FA Cup in and to the traditionalists should always be our away strip. Hopefully the blue coloured example of the GU badge was just that, an example. We DON'T need any blue on our red shirts!
  • They do have a black and white version of the logo. Also an alternative would be to use their crest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking at the overall situation, connecting with the training ground etc, I have a good feeling about our future. If we get this pre season right, I will be getting pretty excited about next season, COYR.
  • Some people won't be happy unless we get an exclusive deal with Microsoft, with £50 notes raining down Argentina '78 style before each home game.
    And some won't be happy unless we fund greenpeace, the Red Cross and the Sally Army in a deal.

Microsoft next shirt sponsors and we're playing at the Greenpeace Valley? Source?
  • I'm sure there is a kids team in the Selkent league that has that logo on their shirts. Footscray or Pheonix maybe?
  • edited May 2014

Wonga or Bet365 or Razzle would pay us a premium

More absorbing I see....

Oi! That selective quote makes me look like a supporter of those potential sponsors. Well done ;)
    Henry Irving said:

This would make sense. A strategic partner ploughing a couple of million into the training ground development. They get use of the facilities and shirt advertising...

Gone from 500k (which was v high imo) to 2m now. Danger of these numbers becoming "FACT" : - )

Let's wait and see if it is true and what the investment is and in what form. Cash? Contra?

Also I think there is a danger of seeing everything as part of a clever thought out strategy rather than taking advantage of an opportunity that arises.

Yep that's true. Highly sensible. I tried to make to clear I know sweet FA and was just offering an opinion but I do get your point.
  • IA said:

IA said:

you all have missed the most important point that the university's logo is BLUE - yuk

I was distracted by the font.

For that logo to go on a shirt, it will need a big white background.
    Not necessarily. The logo itself could be in white.
    I'm not a design nerd, but I think that font in white on red shirts would not be very readable.

• If we do link up with the University I think it's a sign that the money is not really an issue now.

Maybe RD is going to invest in the team and is hoping that a nice local sponsorship will be mutually beneficial.
    Similarly there is no guarantee that this was not a stipulation of us getting planning consent for the training ground - you scratch my back....
  • Universities have £millions for facilities, so I'm assuming they are contributing a lot to the planned development and get their name on our shirts in return also.
  • Some people won't be happy unless we get an exclusive deal with Microsoft, with £50 notes raining down Argentina '78 style before each home game.
    And some won't be happy unless we fund greenpeace, the Red Cross and the Sally Army in a deal.

Microsoft next shirt sponsors and we're playing at the Greenpeace Valley? Source?
    At least with the Greenpeace Valley we will always have grass on our pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought AA conditioning were a great sponsor as they are a local business and I could think of far worse sponsors to have. I didnt really get the "its a geeky sponsor" line of thinking either.

4th biggest? Wow that is impressive. We were not by any means the 4th most marketable club last season...id have us around mid table at best considering the lack of sky league games although the cup run would have negated this slighly.

Im not going to credit Slater though and will instead choose to assume that it was more due to AA wanting in with their local team.
  • Swisdom said:

If we do link up with the University I think it's a sign that the money is not really an issue now.

The fact they are saving a few grand not fully completing the undersoil heating would suggest otherwise.

Money is ALWAYS an issue

• Just wait and see people, I for one am happy to be even more immersed in the local community if we can't get a lucrative sponsor.
  • I thought AA conditioning were a great sponsor as they are a local business and I could think of far worse sponsors to have. I didnt really get the "its a geeky sponsor" line of thinking either.

4th biggest? Wow that is impressive. We were not by any means the 4th most marketable club last season...id have us around mid table at best considering the lack of sky league games although the cup run would have negated this slighly.

Im not going to credit Slater though and will instead choose to assume that it was more due to AA wanting in with their local team.

Agree totally. Yes, local firm and fans who were already involved in a smaller way for years before Slater. Credit, in my eyes, to Dave Archer and Steve Kavanagh.
  • If this goes ahead some of our players can get classfied as Honourary Footballers. No names :-)
  • Swisdom said:

If we do link up with the University I think it's a sign that the money is not really an issue now.

The fact they are saving a few grand not fully completing the undersoil heating would suggest otherwise.

Money is ALWAYS an issue

True, but if the undersoil heating can be "plugged in" at a later date when needed then that's just cash flow management - the expenditure is still there and planned for over the next 12 months, whereas taking a smaller sponsorship deal for community reasons (if that indeed was the case) would physically remove income, so it's not quite the same.

Having said that I agree, for any prudent business (and Roland certainly appears to tick that box) then money should always be an issue, even if you have £100m in the bank.
  • I think the under soil heating is a but of a red herring. It makes sense to put it in while the pitch is being relayed but in truth it has a limited value anyway as often games are called off due to other effects if the weather. Icy walkways, dangerous (hazardous) conditions outside the stadium.

I think it might be a condition of the Premier League (if not now then in the future) but I don't feel the need for it now, especially if it is costly to run.

Most of our problems this season (and for years) have had less to do with freezing and more to do with drainage. I'm not sure the expense is worth if to save one game every three years that can be replayed later in the season.