Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Persistent standing at all-seater stadiums

edited May 2014 in General Charlton
Interesting perspective in this article:

sportsjournalists.co.uk/the-giller-memorandum/standing-at-football-wont-be-taken-sitting-down/

He right when he says its annoying to be forced to stand when youve paid to sit, but I think that goes with the territory when youre in the away end. Not in every scenario, but its more likely then in the home ends, not counting the singing areas...

Comments

• Options
    Persistent
  • Options
    the seats are there because they have to be, so "paying" for a seat is more like paying for a ticket imo. Once we can have a choice then the sit down + shut up brigade have a decent argument, but until then, you're just killjoys.
  • Options
    Its like paying for ticket on a 'commuter train' and finding nowhere to sit. Unlucky, its the way it is at the moment, if you don't like it don't go.

Also a bloke who doesn't go to a football match ever in the modern era, moans when he go's and experiences one.
  • Options
    I wonder what lens views on this are?
  • Options
    Sidaaaaaaaan
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Its like paying for ticket on a 'commuter train' and finding nowhere to sit. Unlucky, its the way it is at the moment, if you don't like it don't go.

Also a bloke who doesn't go to a football match ever in the modern era, moans when he go's and experiences one.

You don't get on a train to have a view of something you have paid to see. Idiotic analogy.

Some very selfish people on here.
  • Options

Greenie said:

You don't get on a train to have a view of something you have paid to see. Idiotic analogy.

I don't ever remember calling you an idiot or selfish! Tone it down theres a good boy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Greenie said:

They should abolish seats on trains altogether, saves some people doing better than others.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    "Kept in touch with the game". Well he obviously didn't if he thought that attending a heated London derby would be any different to what he experienced.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

the seats are there because they have to be, so "paying" for a seat is more like paying for a ticket imo. Once we can have a choice then the sit down + shut up brigade have a decent argument, but until then, you're just killjoys.

This view is a bit archaic if you asked me.

What's it got to do with spiders ?
  • Options

oh no not again.

^^ This.
  • Options

This view is a bit archaic if you asked me.

BOOM!
  • Options
    Wonder how he got his ticket? Mate reguarly goes away with Spurs and could not get one. Funny that.
    No sympathy for the guy really.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Let's just ban the very young and very old from away games. I'm sure that will make a lot of the standers happy and they are all that matters aren't they? Let's embrace the selfish society.
  • Options

Let's just ban the very young and very old from away games. I'm sure that will make a lot of the standers happy and they are all that matters aren't they? Let's embrace the selfish society.

Except that those of us that stand are happy to move, been said numerous times on here. Not sure how that's selfish?

Please don't reply with "it's the law to sit"
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Except that those of us that stand are happy to move, been said numerous times on here. Not sure how that's selfish?

I had to stand at Millwall for the whole game last year. How were the hundreds standing in front of me going to move?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

No, those that are happy to move are not being selfish at all.
  • Options
    I would love to stand and watch my football but at my mature years that is no longer possible. What's the solution? Should I give up going to away games or do I have to wait for the FL/FA to get of their backsides and reintroduce standing in specific areas? Do somone have an answer?
  • Options

Away from the main point but i dont think it has anything to do with age. At non-league thousands of kids and 'older people' choose to stand every week. Most young kids like it as they love the atmosphere more than the view.
  • Options

Croydon said:

I had to stand at Millwall for the whole game last year. How were the hundreds standing in front of me going to move?
    You know as well as I do that it is part and parcel at the big games. Due to our small away following, we only really have a standing issue 3-4 times a season. There was plenty of available unrestricted seating at Barnsley and Huddersfield away for example.

• Options
    Given the stats on the away attendances thread I'm not sure it's something that should particularly concern Charlton supporters. Until we get the next big Cup draw that is of course.
  • Options

Away from the main point but i dont think it has anything to do with age. At non-league thousands of kids and 'older people' choose to stand every week. Most young kids like it as they love the atmosphere more than the view.
    Ok, I'll spell it out - those that are too small to see and those who can't stand for long.
  • Options
    So I have to give up the idea of going to the big away games because I will be expected to stand along with everyone else?
  • Options
    It's sad that someone's match experience is ruined by being unable to see because the rest of the crowd is standing up and you don't want to stand the whole game, but realistically if you go in the away end of a local derby this is what's going to happen, especially with the pond life that makes up Tottenham's away support. Common sense would dictate that you ask the ticket vendor if it's possible for you to sit somewhere where your view won't be obstructed if the people in front of your stand up, such as at the front or where there is a gap between rows of seats (and really this is more of an accessibility issue in terms of accommodating the old/disabled/infirm and making sure their inability to stand for long periods of time isn't to their detriment, generally all clubs should be ensuring both home and away supporters can be adequately supported, I'm not sure why so many grounds get away with such piss-poor facilities in this respect, disabled away fans shouldn't be forced to sit with the home fans). It isn't really the done thing for neutrals to sit in the away end anyway and surely as an ex-football hack he should have known this and that standing and singing is generally what away supports do. It's like going to a metal concert and complaining you can't get near enough the front without being moshed or jostled by the crowd.
  • Options
    As one of the older generation, constantly standing up, and sitting down, over and over again, is somewhat difficult. Also standing for the whole game is simply not comfortable. If everybody stays seated, surely everybody can see the game.

I don't have a strong view, one way or the other, over whether or not standing areas should return. At the moment, with all sitting stadia, people should respect this position and respect other fans and stay seated. The key word is "respect".

• Options
    Thank you for your pearls of wisdom, Filish. This has nothing to do with neutrals. After more than 60 years watching Charlton play I can see I will have to confine my away trips to the less popular games! Sorry to be such a nuisance!