Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup 2014 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Walker apparently told he's not in the squad.

So that leave Johnson + Jones at RB. Gulp.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Or Smalling, or Stones, or Milner.
  • Options
    Jones only in squad as utility player. Not good enough to play centre back , right back or midfield in own right, but competent enough to cover all three.
  • Options
    I'd felt the same in the past about Johnson but he has had a pretty good season for Liverpool from what I have seen. Let's hope he's not the disaster he was at the last World Cup.
  • Options
    I've heard he's only taking 5 CBs. So has to mean Jones or Smalling will be going as both can play as a full back.
  • Options
    If I was Roy I would be tempting John Terry out of retirement. He has played alongside Cahill all season so they have a good partnership and he is still good enough to be at the top.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Two strikers in the Germany squad is crazy. Klose (thanks SE9!) is class at WC but is ancient and has had not made many Serie A appearances due to injury.

Volland isnt in the same league and dont think he is going to be much use upfront in the later stages.

My picks for top scorer would be suarez and aguero if he can stay fit.

I dont see the Germans or Brazil getting past QFs. Squads have no balance, dont fancy them to score enough....so thats a brazil v germany final then ;)
  • Options

Two strikers in the Germany squad is crazy. Podolski is class at WC but is ancient and has had not made many Serie A appearances due to injury.

Volland isnt in the same league and dont think he is going to be much use upfront in the later stages.

My picks for top scorer would be suarez and aguero if he can stay fit.

I dont see the Germans or Brazil getting past QFs. Squads have no balance, dont fancy them to score enough....so thats a brazil v germany final then ;)

Do you mean Klose ?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ah ... yes i do. Iread in the german press that PODOLSKi wont make the final cut...would seem crazy to only take 2 strikers. They have a ridiculous amount of quality attacking midfielders so Low might be thinking along the false number 9 line
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    How do I change the title of this thread now? The edit button seems to have disappeared?

Edit: Just seen a Mod has to do it. Mods - can you just get rid of the Brazil and Germany bit if you can please? Thanks.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like Jon Flanagan has made it.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

se9addick said:

dizzee said:

The mind-games are starting early:

Prandelli: No English players would get into my Italy squad

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3841/world-cup-2014/2014/05/10/4807505/prandelli-no-english-players-would-get-into-my-italy-squad

Don't know if that's mind games or him just telling the truth.

But it's not about the players necessarily. The conditions make it anyone's game and with Italy usually starting slowly and being either terrible or potential winners at every tournament I think we can nick the win.
    I actually think Italy are better suited to the conditions in Manaus. The humidity there will sap energy very quickly and if England go charging after the ball in a cavalier manner (looking at Wayne Rooney particularly) then they'll be knackered very quickly. Italy have the players to keep possession of the ball forcing England to come after them which could be disastrous.

That being said, you're right - Italy are known for being slow starters and they've also made the crazy decision to base themselves south of Rio despite all of their games being in the north of the country meaning that by the end of the group stages they will have spent an incredible amount of time travelling - they'll make a round trip of around 3,000 miles for each group game from their base.

Good points made.

It's going to be a great watch.

I presume Italy will look something like.

-----------------------Buffon---------------------

-----Bonnucci - De Rossi - Chiellini-------

Abate--------------------------------- Barzagli

------Montolivo - Pirlo - Marchisio---------

--------------Balotelii----Rossi----------------

Reserves:
    Sirigu
    (3rd Choice keeper)
    Criscito
    De Scilio
    Astori
    Verratti
    Motta
    Cerci
    Insigne
    El Shawaary
    Immobile
    Destro

Are you confusing Barzagli for Balzaretti? Barzagli is strictly a CB, nothing more. Bonnuci has not been impressing for Juve recently and there are calls for him to be dropped by them, so Barzagli could replace him in that team, or replace De Rossi pushing him forward into a more favoured midfield role. Rossi has been injured and only recently back so I dont know what his recovery has been like. Plenty of time to get up to speed of course. 3rd choice keeper could be Scuffett who is meant to be the next Buffon (he is about 17/18 years old). Balotelli has been warned that any dodgy incidents and he is out so he needs to behave himself
  • Options
    Immobile is such a quality name for a target man.

however unlike his name, from the matches ive seen, Ciro is a pretty strong runner, especially with the ball.
  • Options
    I dont recognise a lot of Italys squad. Bring back Footbal Italia on C4!
  • Options
    He's determined to be called Eem-mo-bee-lay instead of Immobile.

A few of those players on the bench are quite young. Veratti will be good. I dont really rate Cerci but im certainly no expert.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Guardian reckons this will be the England squad:

Hart, Forster, Foster

Johnson, Jones, Cahill, Jagielka, Smalling, Baines, Shaw

Gerrard, Wilshere, Henderson, Lampard, Milner, Barkley, Lallana, Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lambert

Standby:

Andy Carroll
    John Stones
    John Ruddy
    Jermain Defoe
    Michael Carrick
    Tom Cleverley
    John Flanagan
  • Options
    I am not up to date with everything is Andros Townsend injured??
  • Options

I am not up to date with everything is Andros Townsend injured??

Really not sure on that one. I think he is at the moment but could be for the World Cup if selected.

Confirmed that Lambert, Adam Lallana & Luke Shaw are all in.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Townsend is out injured. As are Walcott and Rodriguez.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Confirmed squad from The FA:

Joe Hart
    Fraser Forster
    Ben Foster

Glen Johnson
    Phil Jones
    Gary Cahill
    Phil Jagielka
    Chris Smalling
    Leighton Baines
    Luke Shaw

Steven Gerrard
    Jack Wilshere
    Jordan Henderson
    Frank Lampard
    James Milner
    Ross Barkley
    Adam Lallana
    Raheem Sterling
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Wayne Rooney
    Daniel Sturridge
    Danny Welbeck
    Rickie Lambert
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Madjid Bougherra has made the Algeria 30-man Squad announced today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27374742
  • Options
    I don't want to bankrupt the bookies but some are offering Reza top scorer at 200/1, I'd get in early on that.

(But you can get Dzeko @ 100/1 who is in a group with Iran and Nigeria).
  • Options

Hart, Forster, Foster

Gerrard, Wilshere, Henderson, Lampard, Milner, Barkley, Lallana, Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Standby:

Andy Carroll
    John Stones
    John Ruddy
    Jermain Defoe
    Michael Carrick
    Tom Cleverley
    John Flanagan

Full House ?
    Well done the Guardian.
  • Options

Hart, Forster, Foster

Standby:

Andy Carroll
    John Stones
    John Ruddy
    Jermain Defoe
    Michael Carrick
    Tom Cleverley
    John Flanagan

Full House ?
    Well done the Guardian.
    Spot on weren't they? Something tells me it was more than a lucky guess though!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    GROUP A

Brazil- GK: Julio Cesar, Jefferson, Victor | DF: Dani Alves, Maicon, Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Marcelo, Dante, Maxwell, Henrique | MF: Ramires, Oscar, Paulinho, Hernanes, Luiz Gustavo, Bernard, Fernandinho, Willian | FW: Neymar, Hulk, Jo, Fred | Stand-by: Diego Cavalieri, Miranda, Filipe Luis, Rafinha, Lucas Moura, Lucas Leiva, Alan Kardec

Cameroon (28 man)- GK: Guy N'dy Assembe, Charles Itandje, Sammy N'Djock, Loic Feudjou | DF: Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Henri Bedimo, Gaetan Bong, Aurelien Chedjou, Cedric Djeugou, Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik, Nicolas N'Koulou, Dany Nounkeu, Allan Nyom | MF: Eyong Enoh, Raoul Loe, Jean Makoun, Joel Matip, Stephane Mbia, Landry N'Guemo, Edgar Salli, Alex Song | FW: Vincent Aboubakar, Maxim Choupo-Moting, Samuel Eto'o, Mohammadou Idrissou, Benjamin Moukandjo, Fabrice Olinga, Pierre Webo | Stand-by: Frank Bagnack, Zock Bep

Croatia- squad not yet announced

Mexico- GK: Jesus Corona, Guillermo Ochoa, Alfredo Talavera | DF: Paul Aguilar, Andres Guardado, Miguel Layun, Rafael Marquez, Hector Moreno, Diego Reyes, Francisco Javier Rodriguez, Carlos Salcido | MF: Isaac Brizuela, Marco Fabian, Hector Herrera, Juan Carlos Medina, Luis Montes, Carlos Pena, Jose Juan Vasquez | FW: Giovani Dos Santos, Javier Hernandez, Raul Jimenez, Oribe Peralta, Alan Pulido | Stand-by not yet announced
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    GROUP B

Australia- squad not yet announced

Chile (30 man)- GK: Claudio Bravo, Johnny Herrera, Cristopher Toselli, Paulo Garces | DF: Gary Medel, Gonzalo Jara, Marcos Gonzalez, Jose Rojas, Enzo Andia, Eugenio Mena, Mauricio Isla | MF: Jorge Valdivia, Rodrigo Millar, Felipe Guiterrez, Pablo Hernandez, Jose Pedro Fuenzalida, Matias Fernandez, Francisco Silva, Arturo Vidal, Charles Aranguiz, Marcelo Diaz, Carlos Carmona, Miiko Albornoz | FW: Esteban Parades, Gustavo Canales, Alexis Sanchez, Eduardo Vargas, Jean Beausejour, Mauricio Pinilla, Fabian Orellana

Netherlands (30 man)- GK: Jasper Cillessen, Michel Vorm, Tim Krul, Jeroen Zoet | DF: Paul Verhaegh, Patrick van Aanholt, Daryl Janmaat, Joel Veltman, Stefan de Vrij, Ron Vlaar, Bruno Martins Indi, Karim Rekik, Terence Kongolo, Daley Blind | MF: Leroy Fer, Nigel de Jong, Jordy Clasie, Jonathan de Guzman, Georginio Wijnaldum, Wesley Sneijder, Rafael van der Vaart, Tonny Vilhena | FW: Quincy Promes, Arjen Robben, Jean-Paul Boetius, Robin van Persie, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Dirk Kuyt, Jeremain Lens, Memphis Depay

Spain (30 man)- GK: Iker Casillas, Pepe Reina, David De Gea | DF: Dani Carvajal, Sergio Ramos, Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba, Cesar Azplicueta, Juanfran, Javi Martinez, Raul Albiol, Alberto Moreno | MF: Sergio Busquets, Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta, Cesc Fabregas, Xabi Alonso, Ander Iturraspe, David Silva, Santi Cazorla, Koke, Tiago Alcantara, Juan Mata, Jesus Navas | FW: Diego Costa, David Villa, Alvaro Negredo, Pedro Rodriguez, Fernando Llorente, Fernando Torres
  • Options
    Spain squad of 30
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Spain squad of 30

Just cannot see past them. They add that extra bit of quality with every tournament. Don't understand why Costa chose to play for Spain though, especially with a World Cup coming up in his home country.

Any luck on changing the thread title admin? @afka?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    GROUP C:

Colombia (30 man)- GK: David Ospina, Faryd Mondragon, Camilo Vargas | DF: Mario Yepes, Cristian Zapata, Pablo Armero, Camilo Zuniga, Aquivaldo Mosquera, Santiago Aria, Luis Amaranto Perea, Eder Alvarez Balanta, Carlos Valdes | MF: Fredy Guarin, Juan Cuadrado, Victor Ibarbo, James Rodriguez, Abel Aguilar, Juan Fernando Quintero, Carlos Sanchez, Macnelly Torres, Aldo Leao Ramirez, Edwin Valencia, Alexander Mejia, Elkin Soto | FW: Radamel Falcao, Luis Fernando Muriel, Jackson Martinez, Carlos Bacca, Adrian Ramos, Teofilo Gutierrez

Greece- squad not yet announced

Ivory Coast (28 man)- GK: Boubacar Barry, Sylvain Gbohouo, Ali Sangare Badra, Sayouba Sande | DF: Kolo Toure, Sol Bamba, Didier Zokora, Serge Aurier, Arthur Boka, Benjamin Angoua, Ousmane Viera Diarrassouba, Constant Djakpa, Brice Dja Djedje, Jean-Daniel Akpa-Akpro | MF: Yaya Toure, Cheik Tiote, Serey Die, Max Gradel, Diomande Ismael, Didier Ya Konan, Mathis Bolly | FW: Gervinho, Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou, Wilfried Bony, Seydou Doumbia, Lacina Traore, Giovanni Sio

Japan- GK: Eiji Kawashima, Shusaku Nishikawa, Shuichi Gonda | DF: Masahiko Inoha, Yasuyuki Konno, Yuto Nagatomo, Masato Morishige, Atsuto Uchida, Maya Yoshida, Hiroki Sakai, Gotoku Sakai | MF: Yasuhito Endo, Makoto Hasebe, Toshihiro Aoyama, Hotaru Yamaguchi | FW: Keisuke Honda, Yoshito Okubo, Shinji Okazaki, Shinji Kagawa, Hiroshi Kiyotake, Yoichiro Kakitani, Manabu Saito, Yuya Osako | stand-by not yet announced
  • Options
    Charlton Reserves Belgium have named their World Cup squad. Januzaj is in.

Goalkeepers: Thibaut Courtois, Simon Mignolet, Koen Casteels, Silvio Proto

Defenders: Toby Alderweireld, Anthony Vanden Borre, Laurent Ciman, Vincent Kompany, Daniel van Buyten, Thomas Vermaelen, Nicolas Lombaerts, Jan Vertonghen

Midfielders: Axel Witsel, Steven Defour, Marouane Fellaini, Moussa Dembélé, Nacer Chadli, Kevin De Bruyne, Eden Hazard, Dries Mertens, Kevin Mirallas, Adnan Januzaj

Attackers: Romelu Lukaku, Divock Origi.

Reserves: Nainggolan, Pocognoli, Hazard, Gillet, Batshuayi, Van Damme