Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup 2014 Thread

Comments

• Options

Mirror reporting that Lampard, Barkley + Milner all in the squad.

Just heard that.

There is only a competition for once a month every two years, you have to take the best players available and in a big game I'd want Cole over Shaw at the moment.

What has Lampard done this season to warrant selection?
    Although some older players shouldnt be in the Squad to give Youth a chance of gelling for future competitions etc... I still believe that we need some senior figures around to guide the youngsters (almost like how Andy Hughes has been for us these last three years).

When you look at the team that'll probably be announced... Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney will (hopefully) be the calming influence
  • Options
    It works for Barcelona as the players are around each other every week playing alongside each other, which in turn had the players used to playing alongside each other for Spain as well as an abnormally good influx of players. There aren't enough international matches for that to work in my opinion for England when the players are all split up across more clubs. It is a knock-out cup competition and we need to give ourselves the best chance to win every time and for that I'd rather have Cole for this tournament.
  • Options

Just heard that.

There is only a competition for once a month every two years, you have to take the best players available and in a big game I'd want Cole over Shaw at the moment.

Although some older players shouldnt be in the Squad to give Youth a chance of gelling for future competitions etc... I still believe that we need some senior figures around to guide the youngsters (almost like how Andy Hughes has been for us these last three years).

When you look at the team that'll probably be announced... Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney will (hopefully) be the calming influence
    They can go as a calming influence or whatever but do they have to be in the 23? Can't that be Gary Neville's job anyway? Been there and done it. Or not.
  • Options

It works for Barcelona as the players are around each other every week playing alongside each other, which in turn had the players used to playing alongside each other for Spain as well as an abnormally good influx of players. There aren't enough international matches for that to work in my opinion for England when the players are all split up across more clubs. It is a knock-out cup competition and we need to give ourselves the best chance to win every time and for that I'd rather have Cole for this tournament.

But he'd be sitting on the bench? Baines is first choice now.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah but Cole would be fantastic to bring off the bench to see out a game in the knock-out stages with a lead whereas Shaw is just a back-up. He obviously isn't the same as he was in 06 but his record against the very best is undeniable..
  • Options

Just heard that.

They can go as a calming influence or whatever but do they have to be in the 23? Can't that be Gary Neville's job anyway? Been there and done it. Or not.
    You need them on the pitch as well at times though... i.e. a Youngster could get red mist and dive into a challenge (Getting a Yellow card) or when we're 1-0 up maybe try to score from 30-yards to put their name in the History books when they should be running into the corner.

Yes Gary Neville can do that prior to a match but you also need a type of player like the three mentioned to just grab them by the shoulders and calm them down, get it through to them that they need to keep their head and use their common sense through difficult situations.

On a side note I dont like (actually I hate) the fact that Ashley Cole refuses to be on the Standby List if that is the case... Should be proud to play (or be ready to play) for your country whenever required, you've had an opportunity that thousands of fans will never get and to refuse to be on that Standby list is selfish and arrogant
  • Options
    Shaw is more than capable of coming off the bench to see a game out though. Have you seen him play? He is a quality Premier League left back who will be playing for a top four side next season, not some untried amateur.
  • Options
    Yes I do really rate Shaw but he has one cap in a friendly against Denmark with no experience at this level whereas Cole has played against the very best for years. I think he'd be better being amongst the squad for a whole qualifying campaign rather than just being chucked in now.
  • Options
    If Baines got injured then I'd want Cole to step in. Proved he can still do it away at Atletico where he was quality.

Shaw should be played in Euro qualifiers.
  • Options

Just heard that.

You need them on the pitch as well at times though... i.e. a Youngster could get red mist and dive into a challenge (Getting a Yellow card) or when we're 1-0 up maybe try to score from 30-yards to put their name in the History books when they should be running into the corner.

Yes Gary Neville can do that prior to a match but you also need a type of player like the three mentioned to just grab them by the shoulders and calm them down, get it through to them that they need to keep their head and use their common sense through difficult situations.

On a side note I dont like (actually I hate) the fact that Ashley Cole refuses to be on the Standby List if that is the case... Should be proud to play (or be ready to play) for your country whenever required, you've had an opportunity that thousands of fans will never get and to refuse to be on that Standby list is selfish and arrogant
    If you read his tweets about the situation he is certainly not being arrogant
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Luke Shaw is more than capable of playing international football, even if he only has one cap. He's the subject of a reported £27m bid from Man Utd this evening.
  • Options
    Cole is a mug.

If he hadnt been content to sit on chelsea's bench for two thirds of the season he probably could have made the squad. In the last month he has proven he still has the quality. He should have pushed for a move in january and he could've been on the plane
  • Options

Luke Shaw is more than capable of playing international football, even if he only has one cap. He's the subject of a reported £27m bid from Man Utd this evening.

Exactly, and is the World Cup really a high level of football anymore?
  • Options
    Of course it is, but arguably no higher than the Premier League.
  • Options

storming onto the scene for a middle of the league side is not the same as being prepared for international football on the big stage.

He is fearless for Southampton but make a mistake for England at a World Cup and you will get crucified

Seeing as he will sit on the bench anyway, I think it's a pointless gamble when you can just take Cole
  • Options

Kind of what I meant.
  • Options

Quality wise at the group stage it's very similar but it gets higher in the knockout stages. Plus make a mistake in the Prem you got the following Saturday to make up for it. Make a mistake at the world cup and a whole nation remembers for long time.
  • Options

storming onto the scene for a middle of the league side is not the same as being prepared for international football on the big stage.

He is fearless for Southampton but make a mistake for England at a World Cup and you will get crucified

Seeing as he will sit on the bench anyway, I think it's a pointless gamble when you can just take Cole
    Using the same argument it's pointless having Cole on the bench. Let's not forget Cole has struggled all season to regularly get in the Chelsea side. Mourinho obviously doesn't rate him as high as he used to. Southampton are also better than a mid-table side.
  • Options
    Again, I have no doubt Shaw is a good player who will be a great left back but the World Cup is different to the Premier League, the group stages probably aren't as high a standard as the Premier League (that being said Italy and Uruguay are more than decent going forward). It's that there is the potential for him to be as part of a defence up against one of Ronaldo/Neymar/Messi/Ribery/Ozil/Iniesta every 3/4 days in knock-out matches and for that I'd want Ashley Cole who has been ridiculously consistent for England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just heard that.

If you read his tweets about the situation he is certainly not being arrogant
    Yup will hold my hands up in terms of the arrogance comment... Posted just before I saw his tweets so retract them as per Cole's reasons
  • Options

Using the same argument it's pointless having Cole on the bench. Let's not forget Cole has struggled all season to regularly get in the Chelsea side. Mourinho obviously doesn't rate him as high as he used to. Southampton are also better than a mid-table side.
    It's not pointless if Baines gets injured. I'm more than confident that Cole steps in. Cole was kept out the side by a very in form azp-whatever his name is. I think Shaw is a terrific prospect, but one I'd like to see get a qualifying campaign under his belt before potentially being called upon at a World cup.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    But he won't he won't be up against them will he? Baines will be. I'd be more be worried about our lack of options on the right. Johnson and Walker are average at best. We're strong in midfield but also short on quality up front.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah well if Baines is playing I'd probably rather Ashley Cole at RB than Johnson as well to be honest. Seems like one of Smalling/Jones will be the back-up there...
  • Options
    Azpilecueta is a right back by trade. Mourinho would rather play him at left back than Cole. I'm not slating Cole at all, I actually think he is a top player and is an all time England great. I just think it's time to start building a squad that will grow together.
  • Options

Yeah well if Baines is playing I'd probably rather Ashley Cole at RB than Johnson as well to be honest. Seems like one of Smalling/Jones will be the back-up there...

Should be Clyne and Richards as our right backs but it'll never happen.
  • Options
    Johnson is so poor. His performance against Germany at the last world cup still annoys me. Amazing the this country has failed to produce a great right back since Neville (apart from Solly)
  • Options
    Not seen enough of Clyne but Richards seems just as dumb at the back as Walker/Johnson.
  • Options

Azpilecueta is a right back by trade. Mourinho would rather play him at left back than Cole. I'm not slating Cole at all, I actually think he is a top player and is an all time England great. I just think it's time to start building a squad that will grow together.

he can be a right back all he wants, the fact is his performances when filling in for Cole weregood enough to make him undroppable. I think it was more to do with his form than Cole.

I agree about wanting to build a team together that will grow, I just don't think a finals tournament is the time to start
  • Options

Johnson is so poor. His performance against Germany at the last world cup still annoys me. Amazing the this country has failed to produce a great right back since Neville (apart from Solly)

To think our problems used to be on the left side until Cole came along (after Sir Chris Powell of course) and now we're blessed with Cole, Baines and Shaw. Now we really struggle for right backs.