Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Battle of the Bridge. 26th Anniversary Today

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jeez, this frightens me.
    I am now 52, so this happened half my life ago.
    How come I can remember so much of that day, getting to Victoria, onto Fulham Broadway, told by the OB "You're in the "North stand" ",(now Mathew Harding stand ?). A couple of chelski "lads" trying it on with "our boys". Humphries foul, Miller scoring, Leaburn punch-up. Tube after (still remember one of our "boys" punching someone just as the tube door shut (which even now p*ss's me off, if you want to have a fight at least do it face to face). Sorry..........
    Anyway, got back to Deptford (where I lived at the time) after, t'was the same day the spanners were promoted (I think) so I was caught in the Lord Palmerston with them celebrating, but they bought me many beers because they thought we relegated the "Chelsea/loyalist scum" (again, their words, not mine).

26 years ago ?

;-)
  • Options
    I've commented on this before but as a 9 year old in arguably the biggest area of football violence charlton had seen for some time it was a bit scary, we were to the right near the west stand where it went off

I genuinely don't remember much afterwards other than the odd nutter
  • Options
    I was there in the East Stand with my Chelsea supporting brother in law, nastiest atmosphere ever experienced but nice to see the Chelsea fans crying at the end. Loved Carl I'm sure it was 3/4 people that held him back if only he had been able to channel that aggression in his career. Racist comments abounded. At the end there was a shout of "let's get those Charlton c...." And I watched her march out of the end.

Happy days.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I also met Paul Miller a couple of years ago when a business contact took me to White Hart Lane. Paul was hosting the lounge we were in.

When introduced , I told him that I had seen his greatest ever performance. He wasn't expecting me to then speak about the Battle of the Bridge.He described the game as X rated and said it was the most hostile atmosphere he had ever played in. In the book 'The Boys from White Hart Lane' he describes keeping Charlton in the old First Division was his greatest achievement in football. I didn't ask him about the spitting incident, but he said his legs had gone when he left us for Watford .

It was interesting because a week earlier I had spoken to Mike Flanagan who told me that he had to read the riot act out earlier in that season to Miller and Crooks because he believed that they were 'coasting' after their exploits at Spurs. He then said both players were very professional about the criticism and in the end they both were instrumental in keeping us up.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

March51 said:

Yes, a memorable game which 'for reasons I won't bore you with, JiMMy 85 (thn aged 8) and I viewed from Chelsea's delightful old East Stand. It was explained to me later that the area 0f the stand we ended up in was where the older Shed inhabitants lurked until their offspring became old enough to become members of the Shed themselves. I don't know if that was true but we were certainly surrounded by a whole mob of Chelsea of various ages, all baying for Charlton blood both on and off the pitch. We had a few hairy moments in there especially when Miller scored and again at the end when the penalty wasn't given. But I suppose they were looking for a bit more fun than doing over an old duffer and his kid and at the final whistle they all took off for the Charlton end as described above by BrentwoodMark. Lots of memories, but especially of Big Carl ignoring the racist chanting to send in the long throw that ultimately leto our goal. He was one of twelve heroes that day.

I was in there too with my uncle, aged 10 at the time. Remember getting called a wanker by a Chelsea fan at the final whistle and the distinct feeling I should put my red and white scarf away when leaving the ground. Carl Leaburn's Dhalsim StreetFighter moment will be forever etched in my mind. Met Paul Miller a few months ago and had a really good chat about the game, the spitting incident against Newcastle, and a load of other things. Great fella. Mental times.
    Be interested to know Paul Miller's view on things, especially the spitting incident v Newcastle. It was all a bit low key the way he was eased out of the door for £50k to Watford.
    I remember thinking he was sacked for that spitting incident but he was adamant that he wasn't and said he just spat aggressively and never intended on aiming it at the oppo. However, he did say he wanted to end his time with us, I think in part due to a big pay cut he took to join, and also be a north of the river, and a mutual agreement was reached for him to go quietly to Watford. Enjoyed his time at Charlton though. Also had a good chuckle over Leaburn's reaction, said that Wicks had landed an absolute belter on him.
  • Options
    Watched a bit of this last night - thanks for the link. I was there with my Dad and remember it being a scary atmosphere and very, very tense match - but what a bunch of heroes on the pitch. Can't believe you can actually hear the racist chanting loud and clear from the Chelsea scum - football pre 1990, eh?!

We'd taken the car and parked about 10-15 mins' walk away, so were returning there about an hour after the whistle - because Charlton had been kept in. Streets seemed quiet and empty, until Dad was about to unlock the car, when a few Chelsea lads appeared at our side - about four of them, I think. I was probably about to blurt out something stupid about the match/ result (being a young woman at football gave me a rather naive feeling of invincibility). Fortunately Dad had more presence of mind, saying "Good win for Rangers, today, eh lads?" To which they grinned and swaggered off... (Dad actually had no idea of the Rangers result, of course!)
  • Options

Watched a bit of this last night - thanks for the link. I was there with my Dad and remember it being a scary atmosphere and very, very tense match - but what a bunch of heroes on the pitch. Can't believe you can actually hear the racist chanting loud and clear from the Chelsea scum - football pre 1990, eh?!

We'd taken the car and parked about 10-15 mins' walk away, so were returning there about an hour after the whistle - because Charlton had been kept in. Streets seemed quiet and empty, until Dad was about to unlock the car, when a few Chelsea lads appeared at our side - about four of them, I think. I was probably about to blurt out something stupid about the match/ result (being a young woman at football gave me a rather naive feeling of invincibility). Fortunately Dad had more presence of mind, saying "Good win for Rangers, today, eh lads?" To which they grinned and swaggered off... (Dad actually had no idea of the Rangers result, of course!)

And that's what us dads do, we save our little girls lives :-)
  • Options
    LEEEBurn !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at that one. Great memories of the slow motion deflected goal. Scenes on the tube going back, singing on the platforms - and we hadn’t even won the game!