Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Battle of the Bridge. 26th Anniversary Today

Can't see that this has had a mention anywhere. Surely we haven't run out of memories after only 26 years, have we:

Comments

• Options

Will NEVER be forgotten by those that were there. That was one tough team that LL picked that day. As for Carl Leaburn's attempt/desire for revenge - fantastic to see !! A brilliant day - it always helps if you win/stay up, of course.

(Btw, good to see your username appear, young man. I was only asking last night in another post (End of season thoughts) for your news ....
  • Options
    Paul Miller.... Never liked the guy, but talk about cometh the hour, cometh the man. The injury time tackle on West, the karate chop for good measure, the scrap in the tunnel as he left the field.....somewhere there is a vid of the full game, it was posted here
  • Options
    Meet at 11. St martins tavern. Tube to Chelsea. Charlton everywhere. Fatties in the shed end. 6k in the north stand. Miller throwing right handers. Leaburn dazed confused and angry. Double deflected goal. Chelsea relegated after play off defeat to Sunderland. Those were the days.
  • Options
    One of the most unforgettable games of my many years following Charlton.

The atmosphere was one of the most toxic I can remember (baring only probably Leeds).

Charlton players and fans stood tall that day and gave as good (better) than they got.

Happy days can't believe it was that long ago.
  • Options
    And if you have an hour or so to kill...
    http://vimeo.com/groups/charltonlife/videos/5271029
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    @Hartleypete‌

One of the most unforgettable games of my many years following Charlton.
    The atmosphere was one of the most toxic I can remember (baring only probably Leeds).

That's how I remember it as well. One of my top 10 games even though I truly thought I wouldn't make it home.
  • Options
    Nice one aliwibble. My evening will be complete after watching that and reminiscing.
  • Options
    Was there. Is it really 26 years......

I agree with Hartley, the atmosphere that day was second only to Leeds away in the play offs.
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

Chelsea relegated after play off defeat to Sunderland. Those were the days.

Lost to 'Boro at the Bridge if I remember.

Chaos before, during and after that game. Chelsea were a little surprised to say the least.

• Options
    Does all of that carnage go on.
    Leeds play off elland road
    And st Andrews play off.
    Wincing at the thought of them two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember it well. Was revising for my finals at uni took the tube over from east London with no pub stops. Incredible atmosphere in the ground but after the game I just kept my head down, missed any trouble and basked in the joy of not having to go through that play-off scenario in the SU bar...
  • Options
    Pre-match cocktails with my mate in White's Hotel, Bayswater - then the District Line round to the Bridge. Probably the most extraordinary match I've witnessed: high drama both on the pitch and off it: aggro on the terraces. When Leaburn regained consciousness he was fighting mad like a crazed Bambi on ice and had to be restrained. And our hearts stopped when Paul Miller nudged the Chelsea player in the box in the last minute...
  • Options
    26 years ago, one of those nice memories...
  • Options
    One of my first big games following Charlton, real tension filled atmosphere. Seem to remember Chelsea trying to get in our end from that old stand down the side pwopa old Skool day at the football
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yes, a memorable game which 'for reasons I won't bore you with, JiMMy 85 (thn aged 8) and I viewed from Chelsea's delightful old East Stand. It was explained to me later that the area 0f the stand we ended up in was where the older Shed inhabitants lurked until their offspring became old enough to become members of the Shed themselves. I don't know if that was true but we were certainly surrounded by a whole mob of Chelsea of various ages, all baying for Charlton blood both on and off the pitch. We had a few hairy moments in there especially when Miller scored and again at the end when the penalty wasn't given. But I suppose they were looking for a bit more fun than doing over an old duffer and his kid and at the final whistle they all took off for the Charlton end as described above by BrentwoodMark. Lots of memories, but especially of Big Carl ignoring the racist chanting to send in the long throw that ultimately leto our goal. He was one of twelve heroes that day.
  • Options
    I remember after we scored a constant stream of Charlton fans leaving the East stand around the pitch to come & stand at the Charlton end, no doubt after getting threats from the Chelsea nutters. Never liked Chelsea much & after that day hated both them & their thug fans. They seem to have either toffee nosed posh fans or the other end of the scale , the dregs of society. Still hopeful that one day Abramovich will pull the plug and they end up in the conference !
  • Options
    Remember leaving St Martins tavern with our lot, think we went straight to ground from there. However, when on North stand there were very obvious groups of lads standing around who none of us recognized, it was clear they were Chelsea. Our main core just stood slightly higher up the terrace from them and waited, when the teams came out and they went for it, we was down on them straight away . They field down to right hand corner and were shouting for the gates in the fence to be opened, it took a while to happen and they took a good hiding ! From that point we ruled the day, in the ground and outside and the usual tube ambush , we came out on top. A great day, an yes was of the most memorable of my younger years.
  • Options
    Was there with my Dad and a Chelsea supporting friend in the lower part of their East Stand. After they scored their penalty, I made my way towards the Shed and just walked straight through. Watched the remainder of the game from there and it was fine by comparison. Sub-human scum in the East Stand that day.
    That, Leeds away and St Andrews play-off were easily the most tense I've felt at a game.
  • Options
    The walk to new street after St. Andrews game was a bit eventful.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    How time flies, I was in my mid 30's then! Apart from the Miller equaliser my abiding memories are the Chelsea fans claiming to be Charlton and allowed in our end at half time and the resultant punch ups that followed down the front and Lennie sending Morts on to help calm Leaburn down when he came round who wanted to tear Wickes apart limb from limb if he could get at him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    March51 said:

Yes, a memorable game which 'for reasons I won't bore you with, JiMMy 85 (thn aged 8) and I viewed from Chelsea's delightful old East Stand. It was explained to me later that the area 0f the stand we ended up in was where the older Shed inhabitants lurked until their offspring became old enough to become members of the Shed themselves. I don't know if that was true but we were certainly surrounded by a whole mob of Chelsea of various ages, all baying for Charlton blood both on and off the pitch. We had a few hairy moments in there especially when Miller scored and again at the end when the penalty wasn't given. But I suppose they were looking for a bit more fun than doing over an old duffer and his kid and at the final whistle they all took off for the Charlton end as described above by BrentwoodMark. Lots of memories, but especially of Big Carl ignoring the racist chanting to send in the long throw that ultimately leto our goal. He was one of twelve heroes that day.

I was in there too with my uncle, aged 10 at the time. Remember getting called a wanker by a Chelsea fan at the final whistle and the distinct feeling I should put my red and white scarf away when leaving the ground. Carl Leaburn's Dhalsim StreetFighter moment will be forever etched in my mind. Met Paul Miller a few months ago and had a really good chat about the game, the spitting incident against Newcastle, and a load of other things. Great fella. Mental times.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

March51 said:

I was in there too with my uncle, aged 10 at the time. Remember getting called a wanker by a Chelsea fan at the final whistle and the distinct feeling I should put my red and white scarf away when leaving the ground. Carl Leaburn's Dhalsim StreetFighter moment will be forever etched in my mind. Met Paul Miller a few months ago and had a really good chat about the game, the spitting incident against Newcastle, and a load of other things. Great fella. Mental times.
    Be interested to know Paul Miller's view on things, especially the spitting incident v Newcastle. It was all a bit low key the way he was eased out of the door for £50k to Watford.
  • Options
    That game was an epic - more for the tension and menace on the terraces than the quality of the football though.
    I still can't get my head around quite what Paul Miller thought he was doing smashing that Chelsea player (West was it?) to the floor in the penalty area in injury time. I still can't quite believe that the ref just waved play on!
  • Options
    Made up for their "pen" in the 1st half never inside the box
  • Options
    No matter how long I live and how many games I sit through I'm not sure if I'll ever experience the sheer joy of hearing a final whistle as I did on that day.

Several typical old skool Chelsea fans in our end giving it large after they scored and then discovering that no-one was going to back down. That was the day they regretted Bates installing high fencing so they couldn't get away. Shut them muppets up. Funny thing is that all the Chelsea fans I've ever known personally have been as good as gold. But on that day the atmosphere was pure toxic.
  • Options
    Just be glad none of the Palace firm were there:

• Options
    edited May 2014
    cafcfan said:

That game was an epic - more for the tension and menace on the terraces than the quality of the football though.
    I still can't get my head around quite what Paul Miller thought he was doing smashing that Chelsea player (West was it?) to the floor in the penalty area in injury time. I still can't quite believe that the ref just waved play on!

@cafcfan Gordon Durie? Colin West was certainly a sub for them that day though who came on for Clive Wilson.
  • Options
    Nope it was definitely Colin West
  • Options
    everybody has already described it-menace, toxic, tension.

one of those days you don't forget although I don't remember watching much of the game on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    For those who want the video trip down memory lane, their penalty which wasn't on c10 mins, our goal on c38 mins, Leaburn incident on c45 mins
    http://vimeo.com/groups/charltonlife/videos/5271029