Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LATEST POLL: Was Graham Poll right to inform Pardew that Song was about to be sent off ?

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
click in the circle next to the options

Comments

• Options
    I've voted yes, but it has to be a consistent thing and applied for all games and all teams....

Would like to see it adopted though - no one likes to see games ruined by red cards.
  • Options
    anyone who knows even just a little about football could see that Song was very close to walking last night... it didnt take a sexy wink from poll to pards to work that one out. is song everthing people make him out to be? some of his passing is totally wayward. not convinced yet. probably will be the finished article but not yet.
  • Options
    YES

Common sense communication with players and officials is common sense refereeing.

It should happen in all games.
  • Options
    sorry nope, charlton player or not.
  • Options
    It is sensible, sendings off ruin football matches.

However, Pards shouldnt have needed to be told.

What would have happened if he had been sent off for another minor foul. Pards complaining that he wasnt given warning?

Its the managers job to make those decisions.
  • Options
    no way, imagine if it had been against us and had cost us !....in my opinion he was lucky not to walk for his swipe at Sidwell.

Pardew shouldn't have needed a wink to tell him he was about to walk.....it was clear enough for everyone in the stands !!
  • Options
    It's fine by me if there is some consistency, which is whats totally lacking in refereeing at the moment.
  • Options
    and double yes, cause Pards is playing mind games with this, and you know Warnock will bite
  • Options
    It done us a massive favour, but I voted no.......The games would be a joke if this happened all the time.
  • Options
    The Premier League have backed him up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Voted no myself for the same reasons as Eltham above.

Another one of Poll's do anything for some more publicity.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]

To be honest, i see it more as Pardew talking a bit too much than Poll seeking publicity. You could argue Poll was doing the opposite...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

To be honest, i see it more as Pardew talking a bit too much than Poll seeking publicity. You could argue Poll was doing the opposite...

Totally agree. I suspect that most managers will have similar words with referees every game. The fact that Al came out after the game and went into detail about it was what drew attention to the matter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

Totally agree. I suspect that most managers will have similar words with referees every game. The fact that Al came out after the game and went into detail about it was what drew attention to the matter.

Good point well made
  • Options
    In my experiance at any level of football a referee is allowed to warn a manager one of his players is running the risk of getting sent off. Whether a manager acts upon this is another matter
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    definite no.
    the 'nod' was in effect another card between yellow and red. (saying that, it could be just poll exercising his '3 cards and you're off' rule).
    if this was to be introduced or is now expected by managers, it will just put refs under even more scrutiny and give managers something else to moan about.

for those who voted yes, what would you have thought if the ref against arsenal had come out and said that he didn't give van persie a second yellow card for over celebrating because he didn't want to spoil the game by making it 10 v 11.
  • Options
    I really don't understand why people think there is a massive difference between the ref saying to the player "you've got one more chance" and the ref saying to that player's manager "he's got one more chance"

That's what basically happened, Pards asked GP to tell him rather than Song. Surely a manager has the right to know what his staff are doing and where they are going wrong etc etc
  • Options
    But even so, Poll wasn't talking to Pards DURING the game - only during the interval.

Poll spoke only with Song during the game, and in the 69th minute, giving him a final warning if he persisted with his niggling.

When Poll indicated to Song where the dressing room was - only then did Pards make the decision.

It was Pards decision to take Song off.
    Nobody elses.

And certainly not Graham Poll's decision.

This was just common sense refereeing and should be applied to all matches.

The whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.
  • Options
    And it certainly isn't a precedent. As Ledge says, i've had games where the ref has had a quiet word and said effectively 'have a word with your number 6 because if it continues i'll have to do something'. Its a good way of keeping the game flowing and also acts as justification to the ref if he does have to ultimately intervene.

No different from an umpire warning a skipper about the bowler continuing stepping on the track, or a wicky's constant appealing, or a boxing ref telling a corner next few and i'm stopping it.
  • Options
    Just think of the criticism that poll would have taken if after what happened in the fulham game he'd sent one of our players off in the next. i don't think that in other circumstances with he would have hesitated in sending song to the stands. No win situation for Poll.
    IMO the warning that poll gave Pards im 100% all for. But if like they have been saying for the last hour on the radio that Pardew and Poll had a meeting at half time and worked out secret little signals to give each other (witch i don't believe in the slightest to be true) Then there's no way that should be happening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    be interesting to see how people react if in the Sheff U game, one of theirs gets taken off with 1/2 hour left following a quiet word from the ref....
  • Options
    The only 'secret' signal was Poll clearly pointing to the dressing room as he was warning Song.
    Pardew acted on that - just like any other manager would have done.

Nothing secret in all that. Referees have done it for decades at all levels of the game.
    And the manager concerned has frequently pulled his player off, as a result.

Damned media whingers. Nothing else to talk about. Wall-to-wall bollox.
  • Options
    Genuine question here as someone who wasn't close enough to see it at the match and hasn't seen any of the match on TV.

Did Poll warn Pardew or Song and then Super Al reacted?
  • Options
    Anyone 100% sure this happend?

Could be mind games from Pards, not like Poll can deny it, even if not true.
  • Options
    While talking to Song, Poll definitely did the "you committed a foul over there, over there and over there" gesture, and not long before Song when off, so i'm assuming that was it.
  • Options
    While Poll was warning Song, he clearly pointed to the dressing room before restarting the game.

A minute later, when the ball was next out of play, Song was withdrawn by Pards.
  • Options
    Yes, bang on Oggy, I saw that as well. This is all such a load of bullshit, anyone watching Poll talking to Song could see clearly that it was a "last chance" conversation and there was nothing irregular about the matter at all. Like you say, once Poll pointed to the dressing room it was obvious what was being said.
  • Options
    I think this goes on far more than we realise, the story only got publicity because Pardew mentioned it in the post-match press conference, and notably it was Pard's who brought the subject up with Poll at half-time not the other way around. Had Poll gone up to Pardew and said one tackle and he's off...then that would have been wrong.

Good managing by Pards, good reffing by Poll. In particular sensible manging by Pardew, the temptation having used two subs in the first half would have been to risk it and subbed Thomas or Ambrose for Romm or Lisbie and risked it, but a another tackle and foul even if not a bad foul would have tipped the balance.
  • Options
    Holt is wrong, and sums him up, he's never played football at any level, was a crap tennis player, and a late comer to supporting United.

It happens in Football, it happens in other sport to