Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Meeting Matt Tees

13»

Comments

• Options
    lolwray said:
    What a player...used to hang in the air when he jumped..always seemed taller ...and always looked about 30 years older than he actually was...

Lovely memories of him
    He and Tracey complimented one another superbly.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    What a player...used to hang in the air when he jumped..always seemed taller ...and always looked about 30 years older than he actually was...

Lovely memories of him
    He and Tracey complimented one another superbly..
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    lolwray said:

Lovely memories of him
    Yes, Tees and Treacy, Hales and Flanagan, Taylor and Grant. 

I've probably missed a pair or two but in the fifty six years I've followed Charlton we've not had many effective PAIRS of strikers. 

When you think how close that 68/69 team was to promotion there is a case for arguing that Tees and Treacy have been the best PAIR of the last fifty years.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:
    lolwray said:

Lovely memories of him

I've probably missed a pair or two but in the fifty six years I've followed Charlton we've not had many effective PAIRS of strikers. 

When you think how close that 68/69 team was to promotion there is a case for arguing that Tees and Treacy have been the best PAIR of the last fifty years.
    Mendonca / Hunt ?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I remember Matt's Two goals against Cloughies Derby side. Fantastic game! A Fantastic player!
    Best wishes to him and his family
    In the home game Matt scored one & Ray Treacy with a fantastic volley got the other.

Can't remember who scored at the Baseball Ground in a 2-1 defeat maybe Matt & that's what you were referring to, we were brilliant that day didn't deserve to lose & hit the woodwork 4 times.
    Harry Gregory scored our goal, if I remember.

I was there at the Baseball Ground on that dismal grey afternoon and the Derby fans were making a real noisy atmosphere.

When we went 1-0 up about the 25th minute, the silence was deafening.

We gave them a real fight that day, but Clough's Derby were not top of the League for no reason - and they finally edged it 2-1. 

I was there Oggy, yes they were a great team but as said we were brilliant that day & didn't deserve to lose, but hey ho they scored two to our one so ...........?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:
    lolwray said:

Lovely memories of him

Mendonca / Hunt ?
    Yes I thought of them but, and it could be the old memory playing tricks I accept, I don't remember them featuring too much as a PAIR because of injury or illness to one or the other. As individuals both did very well for us but I'm talking about success as a pair.
  • Options
    Matt Tees and Ray Treacy would certainly punch their weight in the modern Championship. Great players for us and great pairing.
  • Options
    Bumping this for a very sad reason
  • Options
    His name will always live on and not forgotten.

One story I read about him always makes me smile.
    Lawrie McMenemy had just been appointed manager of Grimsby Town. The club were near the bottom of the division at the time.
    He walked into the dressing room to introduce himself to the players. He asked the question who was the centerforward,they in the corner wearing a flat cap and smoking a pipe looking very small was Matt Tees.
    Looks can be most deceiving ,Matt was loved at that club and Lawrie had found his centerforward.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fabulous header of the ball. Legend.
  • Options
    "fucking Matt tees it" is a expression I have shouted many a time at forwards in the box. Confusing many when in a pub and shouting at what Kane or whoever should be doing. 
  • Options
    "fucking Matt tees it" is a expression I have shouted many a time at forwards in the box. Confusing many when in a pub and shouting at what Kane or whoever should be doing. 
    Just thought it'd be even more confusing if I shouted it at a golf course.