Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Meeting Matt Tees

Had a cracking day today with Henry in the company of Matt Tees and his wife May (Charlie Wright's sister).

He keeps himself fit playing golf a few times a week and still looks out for the results of us, St Mitten and Grimsby.

He shared many happy memories about his days at the Valley from the feeling of awe when running out to a packed East Terrace on matchday to learning how to hold the ball up from Eddie Firmani.

We spoke at length about his heading ability and how running onto the ball as opposed to jumping with the defender were the secret of his success alongside "not trying anything too fancy, just hit the ball low and hard".

We also spoke about the game against Coventry when he was assaulted by George Curtis, helped up by the Valley faithful pitchsude whilst Bob Stokoe took up the fight in his absence!

A different world back then, training by running up and down the East Terrace to keep fit, shooting practice in the West Stand car park, the team coach being 20+ years old and sharing a drink with supporters post game on a Saturday in the Cons club!

He has very real fone memories of the Club, ground and most of all us and was kind enough to sign some items for the museum, attached is a picture of him holding a momento from Charlton V Roma in the Olympic Stadium in 1969. He is a real gent and it was a privilege to spend some time with him today.

Comments

• Options
    What a great story....Matt was very much a part of my childhood watching Charlton
  • Options
    One of my first heroes. Glad to hear that he is well

He wasn't that tall, 5'10'' or so I would guess but he was a fantastic header of a ball. Over Easter 1969 I remember him scoring two headed goals from free kicks on consecutive days against Cardiff and Middleborough.

We sold him for peanuts a few weeks into the following season and he went on to twenty five goals in a season for Grimsby.

By the way SE7, was it you I met at Pigeon Ravine near Epehy a few days after the Swindon play off game a few years ago?
  • Options
    Brings back many good memories, sounds a great day - very envious.
  • Options
    Best header of a football ever in a Charlton shirt. That's saying quite a lot when you consider Ron Saunders and Yann.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Matt Tees & Ray Treacy are two of my favourite Charlton goal scorers of all time. Delighted to hear that Matt is still going strong.
  • Options
    Dad reckons I was named after Matt but mum strongly disagrees
  • Options
    A great privilage to spend time with a childhood hero and to discover what a gent he is.

He told us he got £4 for a win, £2 for a draw and he and his wife lived in a Club house in Zangwill Rd.

He still gets people coming up to him in the street in Grimsby as he is a legend up there.

Got some signed copies of his book if anyone wants one. Donation to the museum welcome.
  • Options
    Nice story. A real favourite from that era

I was as upset about his departure as Yann's - with potentially (hopefully) the same outcome (narrow escape from D3). So on that basis Reza = Gordon Riddick
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Mametz said:

By the way SE7, was it you I met at Pigeon Ravine near Epehy a few days after the Swindon play off game a few years ago?

Yes it was! Just like Laurel & Hardy in "Beau Chumps" we had gone to France to forget and then in the middle of a field on the Hindenburg Line, you pitched up and we both bemoaned Nicky Bailey's penalty over a beer. Small world
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm not sure when I first frequented The Valley, but I certainly remember seeing Matt Tees.

Did you travel to Grimsby to meet him ? I presume not ?
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I'm not sure when I first frequented The Valley, but I certainly remember seeing Matt Tees.

Did you travel to Grimsby to meet him ? I presume not ?

You're right, it was Cleethorpes.

: - )
  • Options
    Matt Tees is among my all time favourite players.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Mametz said:

Yes it was! Just like Laurel & Hardy in "Beau Chumps" we had gone to France to forget and then in the middle of a field on the Hindenburg Line, you pitched up and we both bemoaned Nicky Bailey's penalty over a beer. Small world
    I thought it must be you from other threads.

I will celebrating our escape from relegation by walking around Flesquieres, Ribecourt and Villers-Plouich in May.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I fly to Gallipoli on the morning of the 4th May straight from Blackpool but am in Cambrai 23/25 May if thats the same time and your about for a post season beer
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

I fly to Gallipoli on the morning of the 4th May straight from Blackpool but am in Cambrai 23/25 May if thats the same time and your about for a post season beer

I am booked into a B & B in La Boiselle on the evening of Friday 23 May but I will be somewhere around Flesquieres on that afternoon.
  • Options
    Great to hear that the brilliant Matt Tees is going strong and has such fond memories of Charlton. He was excellent in the air - similar to Yann in his ability to leap and time his headers, but nowhere near the physical presence/bulk. One of my favourite players from my teenage covered end years.
  • Options

Best header of a football ever in a Charlton shirt. That's saying quite a lot when you consider Ron Saunders and Yann.

Agree - he see
  • Options
    A fantastic header of a ball and an extremely brave player. He was a very thin guy and he took a lot of stick from knuckle-dragging centre halves, especially as tackling from behind was par for the course in those days. Forwards certainly didn't get the protection they do now.

I recall a very early black and white edition of 'When Saturday Comes' including an excellent article on Matt entitled 'Cream Tees', written by an ardent Grimsby supporter. As Henry says, he's revered up there.
  • Options
    Yep, like others he is one of my all time favourites. He would do us fine up front now!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will print out this thread and send it to Matt.

That medal. Still with Matt but good to have a photo for the museum

It was a benefit match and we lost 2 - 0. Would love to have more info especially on who played.

imageimage
  • Options
    We have four three copies (Stig just grabbed one) of this 30 page booklet signed by Matt for sale. One other is going into the museum.

Minimum donation £5 plus £1.50 to the museum. Inbox me if you want one.
  • Options
    two left
  • Options

Interesting stuff.

On the face of it, it seems surprising Roma would invite a second tier English club over for a benefit fixture, a game against a top flight club would surely raise more money.

The connection, that may have brought about the fixture, appears to be at management level. Eddie Firmani had played for the Roma manager (Herrara) whilst at Inter.

By way of background info Roma were top flight at the time and had won the Coppa Italia in '69.
  • Options
    One left.
  • Options
    One of my first memories of visiting the Valley was seeing Matt. I used to marvel at how he used to hang in the air for so long, a gift that so few are able to emulate. I was just a kid maybe 5or 6, and used to think he was called "Matt" because he used to spend a lot of time laying on the ground covered in mud. Great to see you still going strong Matt.
  • Options

Dad reckons I was named after Matt but mum strongly disagrees

If your name's not 'Matt', I'd agree with your Mum.
  • Options

No idea on the teams for Roma v Charlton but Cappello was a Roma player at that time.
  • Options

Yep, like others he is one of my all time favourites. He would do us fine up front now!

Might he not be a tad too old?
  • Options

Matt Tees & Ray Treacy are two of my favourite Charlton goal scorers of all time. Delighted to hear that Matt is still going strong.

Both of these fine players weighed less than 10stone 7pounds dripping wet.