Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Last home games being a midweek evening fixture in the last 25 years

2»

Comments

• Options
    At all the games and will be there next week.
  • Options
    can't honestly remember if I went to the Derby and Tranmere games they would have been school nights for me but I was definitely going to the Saturday games at the time. My gut instinct says I probably was at those games.

Spurs I was definitely at, the drive home from The Valley seemed to be the longest ever drive home that night.
  • Options
    Done all previous 3 but can't do Watford unfortunately as on my way to France for a golfing break. Arranged long before the game got re-arranged. I was at Twerton Park as well after the Tranmere defeat. Remember the guy with the Ponytail announcing the teams before the game.
  • Options
    I was at the Derby game (someone scored a free kick, didn't they?), don't remember the Tranmere one, and boycotted the Spurs game. I was too angry. I remember losing my sh7t at Hreidarsson a week or so before, and being too angry to go back. Will try and make up for it against Watford!
  • Options
    edited April 2014

With Watford at home next week seeing the last Valley game of the season fall unusually in midweek, thought i'd look back at how unusual it was.

Just three over times in the last 25 years has this occurred, and remember all three quite vividly:

88/89 - Derby County at home Selhurst. We won 3-0, our second home win in five days which moved us up from 18th in the table to 14th, and Harry Houdini had done it again. Remember 'staying up' echoeing round a half empty Selhurst

91/92 - Tranmere at home Upton Park - We'd been in the play-off places since 10th March for ten games, but end of season nerves were creeping in. A disappointing 1-0 defeat meant we had to go to Twerton Park and get something against Bristol Rovers to remain in the play-off positions. We didn't.

06/07 - Spurs at home - Going down, the Premiership holiday had come to an end and we got smashed at home by Defoe's Spurs. Still the longest and loudest Valley Floyd Road i've ever heard

Where have those years gone ?

Who else next week will be making it all four ticked off ? Can't be too many of us i would have thought.

I was batting a thousand but I'll be off on holiday Tuesday morning so I'll be down to three out of four. I was also at the PNE game. I seem to remember another mid-week game being the last home of the season - someone like Bury in the early '70s when we needed a result to stay in the old Div 2. Is my memory playing tricks?
  • Options

All three plus the Preston game. Barring earthquakes/meteor strikes/getting lost on the way to the ground etc I'll be there next week as well.

With Lennies promotion season we had another Tuesday night game v Wimbledon a week after the Fulham game, both teams were already up. It was a pretty dire game if I remember right.

Remember the Wimbledon game 0-0, think they only needed a point as well. Just had a look Wimbledon were already up.

I was there. Yes, awful game.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Ipswich at home in the playoffs.

Does that count or is it, like kissing your sister, not the real thing?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Was Andy Jones the player for whom "Who ate all the pies?" was invented?
  • Options
    2 out of 3 for me. I was 7 when we played Derby. I remember it well as it was the first season I started going regularly with the old man. In fact that season gave me my earliest (clear) memory of a Charlton game, the 3-0 defeat to Liverpool and Aldridge's hat trick at the start of the season. I also remember that game as we used to go in the player's bar after games, and I was berating Bob Bolder for coming off his line too much. Basically I was too young to understand that keepers were allowed to close down forwards. I thought they should only stay in their 6 yard box.

I also remember asking my barber at the time for a haircut like Steve Mckenzie. What a mixed up kid I was, Charlton didn't help that.
  • Options

With Watford at home next week seeing the last Valley game of the season fall unusually in midweek, thought i'd look back at how unusual it was.

Just three over times in the last 25 years has this occurred, and remember all three quite vividly:

88/89 - Derby County at home Selhurst. We won 3-0, our second home win in five days which moved us up from 18th in the table to 14th, and Harry Houdini had done it again. Remember 'staying up' echoeing round a half empty Selhurst

91/92 - Tranmere at home Upton Park - We'd been in the play-off places since 10th March for ten games, but end of season nerves were creeping in. A disappointing 1-0 defeat meant we had to go to Twerton Park and get something against Bristol Rovers to remain in the play-off positions. We didn't.

06/07 - Spurs at home - Going down, the Premiership holiday had come to an end and we got smashed at home by Defoe's Spurs. Still the longest and loudest Valley Floyd Road i've ever heard

Where have those years gone ?

Who else next week will be making it all four ticked off ? Can't be too many of us i would have thought.

I was batting a thousand but I'll be off on holiday Tuesday morning so I'll be down to three out of four. I was also at the PNE game. I seem to remember another mid-week game being the last home of the season - someone like Bury in the early '70s when we needed a result to stay in the old Div 2. Is my memory playing tricks?
    Well remembered; no tricks. Tuesday 14 April 1970, home to Bristol City, won 2-0 (Tracey, Campbell); attendance 15,972. That result saved us from Division 3 - but we were relegated two years later by the infamous 5-0 defeat at Blackpool on the last day. History will not repeat itself, surely...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We shall be invoking the spirit of Derby in 89 on Tuesday. Albeit the Derby game actually took place on a Wednesday, but 3-0 to the addicks. I'm gonna go for JJ with the first, Reza with the second and Sordell signs off in the 88th minute....