Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Last home games being a midweek evening fixture in the last 25 years

edited April 2014 in General Charlton
With Watford at home next week seeing the last Valley game of the season fall unusually in midweek, thought i'd look back at how unusual it was.

Just three over times in the last 25 years has this occurred, and remember all three quite vividly:

88/89 - Derby County at home Selhurst. We won 3-0, our second home win in five days which moved us up from 18th in the table to 14th, and Harry Houdini had done it again. Remember 'staying up' echoeing round a half empty Selhurst

91/92 - Tranmere at home Upton Park - We'd been in the play-off places since 10th March for ten games, but end of season nerves were creeping in. A disappointing 1-0 defeat meant we had to go to Twerton Park and get something against Bristol Rovers to remain in the play-off positions. We didn't.

06/07 - Spurs at home - Going down, the Premiership holiday had come to an end and we got smashed at home by Defoe's Spurs. Still the longest and loudest Valley Floyd Road i've ever heard

Where have those years gone ?

Who else next week will be making it all four ticked off ? Can't be too many of us i would have thought.

Comments

• Options
    Done all three but won't be making the Watford game
  • Options
    yep - I'd have done all 4 by next week, remember the VFR against the Spuds - hairs on the back of the neck stuff
  • Options
    Went to the first two and am planning to go to Watford.
  • Options
    Yes did these.
  • Options
    At the first two but was on holiday in Barbados for the Spurs game. Watched in a bar and the noise was unbelievable.
    Will be there Tuesday as well.
  • Options
    Trying to find the video of VFR v spurs, really not sure why it can't be recreated as it was as loud if not louder than Stoke that day.. Geniunely didn't hear Spurs fans when they scored, wouldn't of known they'd scored if it wasnt for watching the game.. lol
  • Options
    Don't remember the Tranmere game, but I was there, because I always am.
  • Options
    Yes, all three and going back further ('75?) the Preston promotion game was a midweek evening. Big crowd, great atmosphere that night.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    What about the promotion season under Lennie at Selhurst too? I remember us beating Fulham at home in a midweek game to all but ensure promotion to the old Division 1. We then clinched it at Carlisle a few days later.
  • Options
    All three plus the Preston game. Barring earthquakes/meteor strikes/getting lost on the way to the ground etc I'll be there next week as well.

With Lennies promotion season we had another Tuesday night game v Wimbledon a week after the Fulham game, both teams were already up. It was a pretty dire game if I remember right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014

All three plus the Preston game. Barring earthquakes/meteor strikes/getting lost on the way to the ground etc I'll be there next week as well.

With Lennies promotion season we had another Tuesday night game v Wimbledon a week after the Fulham game, both teams were already up. It was a pretty dire game if I remember right.

Remember the Wimbledon game 0-0, think they only needed a point as well. Just had a look Wimbledon were already up.

• Options
    VFR against Spuds was unreal
  • Options
    Went to all 3. Struggling for Watford though.
  • Options
    Will be making it 4 out of 4
  • Options

It's funny, but I have absolutely no recollection of that Wimbledon game at all. I can't believe that I have forgotten a game where we celebrated promotion back to the top flight for the first time in many, many years!!
  • Options
    4 out of 4.
  • Options
    Ipswich at home in the playoffs.
  • Options
    you are right @iaitch‌ and i meant to deliberately write 'league game' so as to avoid it, rather than include it. Gawd knows why!!

Absolutely brilliant night
  • Options
    Will be 4/4 for me as Im here....If my memory serves me right the Derby game was May 10th...I was at the Preston game, Fulham and Wombledon....I think Fulham got relegated too.
  • Options

Trying to find the video of VFR v spurs, really not sure why it can't be recreated as it was as loud if not louder than Stoke that day.. Geniunely didn't hear Spurs fans when they scored, wouldn't of known they'd scored if it wasnt for watching the game.. lol

This one and same season v Chelsea are the two loudest I've heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg7JoSub2pQ

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at the first two, had moved over here by the third. Wasn't the Tranmere game when Aldridge claimed a goal to give him a club record, when he didn't actually touch the ball?
  • Options
    Yes, at all three. But I must be getting old as the Derby game is freshest in my memory!
  • Options
    I went to those three and will be at the Watford game. Against Tranmere, some herberts were giving Ronnie Moore stick just cos we were losing but I wished him well, as I'd helped buy him for CAFC. Aldridge scored the only goal I think? Was Derby an Andy Jones game?
  • Options

Yes, all three and going back further ('75?) the Preston promotion game was a midweek evening. Big crowd, great atmosphere that night.

That was a game and a half! Didn't get home until gone 11pm, spent ages in traffic queue on Academy Road!!

• Options
    Was at the Derby and Spurs ones.... Spurs was the last game I saw at the Valley ... amazing nights both, the Derby game I had to get my maths homework done before I left for the game... We were singing back to the Valley a season prematurely at that game as well.. Willo, Shirtliff and Jones if I remember rightly ...
  • Options
    Was at all the games.

Absolutely gutted after Tranmere, and I was one of the lucky 800 official Charlton fans at Twerton Park (I know we had quite a few more elsewhere in the ground :))
  • Options
    So the last time we played our final home game of the season in midweek, we were relegated...
  • Options
    4 from 4 for me too.
  • Options

Was at all the games.

Absolutely gutted after Tranmere, and I was one of the lucky 800 official Charlton fans at Twerton Park (I know we had quite a few more elsewhere in the ground :))

I was there too....

Were you one of the naughty boys in the corner by any chance?