Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fare dodging hedge fund manager. Right or wrong to let him off?

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27019782

Is it just me that finds this unbelievable? They should have thrown the flipping book at him not allowed him to pay back what he stole from them and walk away.

Mind you it does seem this is the form for most MP's these days too.

Comments

• Options
    Yes, put him in prison so the taxpayer can fork out £300 a day to look after him, and never get the £42k back.
    In order to make a prison space - please release some sex crazed knife-wielding nutter who is 10% through his sentence.

#iwillgetmycoat
  • Options
    And if he wasn't rich enough to pay it back?
  • Options
    Couldn't believe this was on the front page of the Times yesterday.

And they were asking if anyone could finger the guy too. AS he lives in a small village someone is going to work out who he is soon enough.

He made an out of court settlement, paid for five years without admitting guilt (he is an "hedge" manager after all) so what would be the benefit of charging him and sending him to court. He would end up paying roughly the same amount but only after much time and expense
  • Options
    It's not Valley Gary is it?

:-)
  • Options
    It was @ValleyGary
  • Options
    Is that really worthy of a prison sentence? He got caught, he paid it back. Really don't see what sending him down would've done other than setting an example.
  • Options

Couldn't believe this was on the front page of the Times yesterday.

Get you....The Times eh....
  • Options
    This guy got greedy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Is that really worthy of a prison sentence? He got caught, he paid it back. Really don't see what sending him down would've done other than setting an example.

Who said anything about sending him down? Other penalities are available as are applications for ways of seizing back the financial benefit this bloke's gained.

The message this sends is that as long as you have the funds to settle up if caught go ahead and do it...which brings us back to where we are with our fiddling MP's.
  • Options
    What did you mean by throw the book at him then?

What punishment would you have given him?
  • Options
    40 lashings of a rolled up copy of The Guardian, that will teach him
  • Options

I don't know, I'm not a magistrate am I but I'd have thought a few hundred hours of community service wouldn't have hurt as a deterrent for starters. We ain't talking about a 13 year old nicking some fags from the offy here.

Let's put this in perspective, if you had been defrauded of £40k+ you'd expect there to be consequences for the criminal responsible beyond paying you back wouldn't you?
  • Options

40 lashings of a rolled up copy of The Guardian, that will teach him

Thanks for your contribution. You're clearly okay with subsidising fare dodging on your route into Liverpool St then.
  • Options
    Surely having to travel on South Eastern Trains everyday is sufficient punishment in itself. I frequently spend my morning commute (generously extended due to congestion in the London Bridge area) wondering whether I'm being punished for crimes I committed in a previous life, as I battle for oxygen in the minuscule space that South Eastern kindly allow me to take up everyday in return for enough money to cancel out third world debt.
  • Options
    The rail company will argue that they are being "pragmatic" and doing the best for their shareholders.

Traditional standards of morality are no longer a consideration in 21st Century Britain as exemplified by the actions of the parasitical scum whom masquerade as MPs and MEPs.

There was a time higher standards than the norm were expected in Public Life (eg the ostracism of John Profumo 50 years ago) but these days the Prime Minister gives his "support" (encouragement rather than athletic I assume) to the likes of Maria Miller.
  • Options
    As much as he deserves to be punished it's not for the rail company to pay for it and if they'd refused to accept his offer they would have been without the money for as long as it took to recover it through the courts, and they might have incurred further costs that they couldn't recover.

If someone had 'defrauded' me out of a couple of hundred pounds (that's probably a realistic comparison as the rail company has much more money than me) I would not have chased them through the courts if they'd agreed to pay it back.
  • Options
    he should be whipped with barbed wire and then have salt rubbed into the slashes ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't know, I'm not a magistrate am I but I'd have thought a few hundred hours of community service wouldn't have hurt as a deterrent for starters. We ain't talking about a 13 year old nicking some fags from the offy here.

Let's put this in perspective, if you had been defrauded of £40k+ you'd expect there to be consequences for the criminal responsible beyond paying you back wouldn't you?
    If there was an out of court settlement doesn't that mean it was a civil case ? In which case I don't see how he could have been handed down a sentence of community service ?

If it had been reported to the Police as fraud for criminal investigation, don't the police now just tell people to visit some website they've outsourced fraud investigations to ? In which case nothing probably would have happened - thus the train company getting their money is probably the best realistic outcome.
  • Options
    No idea how he got caught to be honest. I guess his Oyster card acted as evidence in itself.

Surely when you see a ticket inspector standing next to the barrier you walk up to him and say "Excuse me mate, I just tapped out - so I can buy a ticket as I'm travelling out of London; however I've just realised that I can still save a bit of money just by buying a ticket from Zone 6. If I tap back in with my oyster card already, will I be charged double?". I'm not defending him either, I think it's good he was caught.

I wont lie, I often get on trains without tickets - but I know I'll be able to buy one on the train of a morning. Unfortunately there have been times when that hasn't worked out, and I've got fined twice. But, I take my risks just to leave 5 minutes later and avoid the queues of a morning, I then pay my price when it doesn't work out that way! I can't complain. (There's slightly more to it, like it being more expensive for me to buy a season ticket to work than it is for me to purchase daily...)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

If there was an out of court settlement doesn't that mean it was a civil case ? In which case I don't see how he could have been handed down a sentence of community service ?

If it had been reported to the Police as fraud for criminal investigation, don't the police now just tell people to visit some website they've outsourced fraud investigations to ? In which case nothing probably would have happened - thus the train company getting their money is probably the best realistic outcome.
    The story refers to prosecution in the magistrates court which would be consistent with what I have seen in the past for people who have evaded fares for a fraction this bloke has.

Reading between the lines here he has offered to repay what he fiddled for immunity from prosecution which might involve the train company having to spend some time and money proving the case. I understand the pragmatic approach but this doesn't sit comfortably with me. Others take a different view and presumably are not bothered by the lack of a deterrent in the future.
  • Options
    I expect he had one of those nice "On the run" letters issued by the Northern Ireland Office.

Oh no, sorry, they're only for mass murdering terrorists, not for serious offences like fare dodging or speeding motorists.

• Options
    I fare dodge all the time. They charge a fortune. If I was him I wouldn't pay it.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

8.4k a year for train travel. That's the real crime.

exactly
  • Options
    Slow news day.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Traditional standards of morality are no longer a consideration in 21st Century Britain as exemplified by the actions of the parasitical scum whom masquerade as MPs and MEPs.

What nonsense. The political classes were way more rapacious and corrupt on the "good old days" than they are now.

Rotten boroughs, sales of peerages (Lloyd-George & Wilson to mention just two). The Marconi scandal, the Shell crisis, Suez, the list goes on and on.

Miller's little bit of accountancy wouldn't even have registered in the old days. Who now remembers that Chruchill secretly took £5,000 (millions today) from Burmah oil to lobby for concessions in Persia.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

8.4k a year for train travel. That's the real crime.

It would probably be a lot less if it wasn't for fare dodgers like him.

He is a wealthy man. through the book at him.