Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Roland: What division do you want?

Comments

• Fairly sure he'll do all he reasonably can do to keep us in the Championship but I assume he knew there was a possibility of us going down when he took us over and sold our best two players. I dont reckon he'd be too fussed if we dropped down a league, he hasn't bought us because he loves the club.
  • Can't get my head around people saying Roland doesn't care what division we're in. He if wanted a L1/L2 club, there's plenty out there that are far cheaper than us.

It's like buying Sainburys and re-branding them to compete alongside Aldi...............................

It's also like buying Sainsburys, stripping a few assets, re-branding them to compete alongside Aldi to run at a lower cost while getting 4m back to complete this change.. and then building a factory that produces goods of which you can sell after showing them in your shop window, to negate the loss you make running the shop, whilst also pushing these goods across to your other shops from time to time.

...... or something like that
  • The time and players lost passing about in League 1 might be a small concern to a 67 year old?
  • seth plum said:

The club statement is that the manager is there to keep Charlton Athletic up. That is evidence that Roland wants championship football,
    The £4mil relegation clause is evidence that Roland has at least contemplated relegation.

I would disagree, it's about being an astute businessman. A good businessman takes into account ALL possibilities/outcomes .I would fathom to guess that Mike Ashley never contemplated Newcastle being relegated and got stuck paying premiership wages in the championship because no one thought to insert "relegation clauses" in the players contracts.
  • Some ask why RD would not want Charlton in the premeirship, the answer the cost of running a premiership club. 9 out of 10 clubs that have been or are in the premiership loose vast sums of money. I do not see RD as that kind of owner, and so I guess he will not be interested in promotion.
  • msomerton said:

Some ask why RD would not want Charlton in the premeirship, the answer the cost of running a premiership club. 9 out of 10 clubs that have been or are in the premiership loose vast sums of money. I do not see RD as that kind of owner, and so I guess he will not be interested in promotion.

Roland's whole plan is to 'prove' that clubs can be run prudently and making a profit while still achieving success, he'll want to show that as much as possible - that means higher leagues to me. Of course it could be he's wrong and losses are inevitable but he won't be giving up just yet.
  • RD is trying to run a football club(s) on the same basis as he runs a very successful electronics business.

Unfortunately it is virtually impossible as people will throw money at football clubs which they are prepared to lose (emotional investment rather than rational) therefore you are not competing on the same level. The whole ethos about running a corporation is a lot different to running a football club as we have seen so many times before.

The new fair play rules might help Roland but I doubt it as people will find ways around it.

In my opinion he is gambling with our & a few other clubs, time will tell if he is right but sadly I somehow doubt it.

Whilst he would probably prefer to stay up I don't honestly think he will be that bothered by relegation this season since most players contracts are up & he will start again next season with a player budget depending what division we are in.
  • From another thread
    ''What way is our club being run into the ground under RD
    Can someone please tell me''.

Obvious to me, by not allowing us to get a decent striker in,
    after selling our best one! Don't think he's bothered if we go down!
  • except that we were prepared to pay all of Connor Wickham's not inconsiderable wages but he chose Leeds. Are you choosing to ignore that fact?
  • Sponsored links:

• except that we were prepared to pay all of Connor Wickham's not inconsiderable wages but he chose Leeds. Are you choosing to ignore that fact?

I think the problem most people are ignoring/forgetting is that throughout the season we have been dangerously close to the relegation places on the occasions we were not occupying one of them, and most players given the choice between a relegation scrap and comfortable mediocrity/promotion challenge are always going to go for the latter, understandably. It doesn't matter how charismatic/popular Powell or Riga or any other manager is, someone like Wickham is not going to sign for a struggling team without serious wedge... which is not going to happen, rightly or wrongly. Frankly, if it were not for the 'network' I doubt we would have signed ANYONE in January, or at least anyone who could possibly make a difference.

• Asset stripping is when you buy an asset that is cheaper than the sum of its parts and you sell the parts off for a profit and leave no business behind. Selling your own assets is not asset stripping. It only matters what happens to the cash proceeds. Does it benefit the team, with a player asset being replaced with another player asset or kept as a cash asset to pay for repairs to potholes and pitches.

If it disappears in dividends/bonus/daughter's salary etc. we might worry, but we are a loss making business so it only increases what RD has to pay to keep the club going. It isn't something to worry about until we are making a profit for RD. RD has the headache of juggling inadequate assets, not reducing them.
  • A year on and we're still no clearer on this question.
  • edited February 2015
    It's funny. Everyone is terrified of League one but when we were winning every week, people were in good spirits.

Look at Southampton - they lost to Swansea at the weekend and the fans were booing at the end (Reality check - Soton were in league one 4 years ago)

I don't want us to get relegated but I don't know why.
  • The division between the board and the fans has never been bigger.
  • edited February 2015

It's funny. Everyone is terrified of League one but when we were winning every week, people were in good spirits.

Look at Southampton - they lost to Swansea at the weekend and the fans were booing at the end (Reality check - Soton were in league one 4 years ago)

That was only 1 out of the 3 seasons. The first two seasons were depressing.
  • It's funny. Everyone is terrified of League one but when we were winning every week, people were in good spirits.

I had a lot more enthusiasm to go and watch us then than I do now. Even the crappy 2010-11 season.
  • drewman said:

I had a lot more enthusiasm to go and watch us then than I do now. Even the crappy 2010-11 season.
    This.

I may have hated everything about this time in our recent history, but I still had a passion and a reason to believe that something was happening and there was a chance for something good to come. Even under the previous leadership, a small sense of possibility was around... not anymore. That bubble has burst
  • It's funny. Everyone is terrified of League one but when we were winning every week, people were in good spirits.

Because we had a manager that gave his all week in week out, despite tight funds he used everything he could to fire us up with a record tally points, we had a tight knit squad with a lot of quality players for that level that played for the badge..

Now what do we have, a merry go round of coaches with the same for the players. If we drop down to League One again it'd undo all that hard work and nothing is telling me we'd go back up, if anything it's a slide downwards unless something drastically changes.
  • CAFC Luke said:

drewman said:

This.

I may have hated everything about this time in our recent history, but I still had a passion and a reason to believe that something was happening and there was a chance for something good to come. Even under the previous leadership, a small sense of possibility was around... not anymore. That bubble has burst
    Not much has changed......
  • Sponsored links:

• Red division is what he wants

Because we had a manager that gave his all week in week out, despite tight funds he used everything he could to fire us up with a record tally points, we had a tight knit squad with a lot of quality players for that level that played for the badge..

Now what do we have, a merry go round of coaches with the same for the players. If we drop down to League One again it'd undo all that hard work and nothing is telling me we'd go back up, if anything it's a slide downwards unless something drastically changes.
    Just call me mystic meg. :- )
  • All this said, I know a lot of Pompey fans and they plunged to the depths of the league, bought their club after a series of unscrupulous owners and got "their Pompey" back. The only drawback is that "their Pompey" are now shit.
  • drewman said:

All this said, I know a lot of Pompey fans and they plunged to the depths of the league, bought their club after a series of unscrupulous owners and got "their Pompey" back. The only drawback is that "their Pompey" are now shit.

Sums it up for me.

I would prefer this scenario to be honest. Actually sounds f*ckin brilliant.
  • I'd take the Pompey scenario if it meant we could have similar away support ....
    They took over 2k to Notts County the other week

• I'd take the Pompey scenario if it meant we could have similar away support ....
    They took over 2k to Notts County the other week

I don't think we've got the strength of fanbase to take 2k to Notts county. Our attendances are tailing off as it is, if we dropped down the leagues I hate to think what crowds we'd get. Pompey I think get about 15k in L2, which probably sustains them. Not sure what point I'm trying to make, time for another drink.
  • iaitch said:

Maybe our model will be the most successful? Let's wait and see.

I imagine RD plans to run us as a steady Championship club without ever investing heavily in the playing squad. There'll be some money to spend but not millions.

As a steady Championship club you're bound to have seasons of struggle where we'll all question what RD thinks he's doing but we'll also have seasons of great success that might see us sneak into the Premier League. Burnley finished 13th and 11th the previous two seasons, yet are 2nd this season without any major investment. Blackpool finished 19th in 2008, 16th in 2009 and got promoted in 2010. These two clubs are good examples of how I see us potentially going forward.

I have not (and will never) buy the line that he's happy to run us in League One even if such a £4m clause did exist.

Blackpool a "good example"? Suspect we may well be following their example with relegation if we are not careful.

• Two years on from the cynical counter posts to my original statement and its still really no clearer what RD's division of preference is. He is certainly giving the impression that lying bluster aside with talks of "Premiership aspirations", he is actually comfortable with L1. Either that or he really is so delusional that he thinks his joke of a strategy can still work.
  • edited March 2016
    I think not playing Lookman & Sanogo tonight & taking off your best player and only hope of scoring (Harriott), seemed pretty conclusive proof that RD doesn't give a flying fuck what divison we are in.
  • You've got what you want, The first division, you've got what you want