Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roy Hodgson criticises petition to ban Tom Cleverley from finals

Must admit I agree (with the petition. ;-))
England boss Roy Hodgson has defended Tom Cleverley after an online petition was set up calling for the Manchester United midfielder to be banned from selection for his World Cup squad.
The petition, which accuses Cleverley of "inept" displays, has gained over 10,000 signatures since it was posted.
Hodgson, who has included the 24-year-old in Wednesday's squad to face Denmark, said: "It doesn't impress me.
"He deserves to be in this 30-man group. He's done an awful lot of good."
Cleverley has been part of a Manchester United side which has struggled in manager David Moyes's first season in charge and sit seventh in the Premier League table.
But Hodgson said: "I don't think it's correct people should single out one player for Manchester United's lack of success this season.
"I would like to think that I'm not going to have the England team selected in the future by petitions from various people who are holding it against one person for a team's lack of success.
"You can't expect a football coach to have any sympathy with it."
While Hodgson is adamant Cleverley warrants his place in the party to face Denmark at Wembley, he added he can offer no guarantees the midfielder will make his final party for this summer's finals in Brazil.
He added: "Whether he'll make the 23 or not will of course depend on a lot of things, not least of all how he does in the next couple of months.
"But that doesn't just apply to Tom Cleverley, that applies to a good many players. I'm disappointed that Tom, as a sensitive young man, has got to bear that burden.
"But I know one thing - he will come through it and when he does come through it and Manchester United start winning again and he's starting to get praise for his performances, he'll be stronger for it."

Comments

• Options
    But Hodgson said: "I don't think it's correct people should single out one player for Manchester United's lack of success this season.

Ok, we'll add Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Ashley Young, Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick & Danny Welbeck.

What country they all capped by Roy?
  • Options
    I think this is England's biggest problem... When it comes to them playing the fans dont care about England they just care about their own club players so the team that plays doesnt get 100% support from the stands... two examples

(1) Will never forget going to see England v Kazakhstan and a few seats along from me I heard someone shout out "Ashley your shite"... I looked round and saw he was wearing an Arsenal shirt so asked him why the thought that... "Cos he just is" (So the abuse was solely because of the Arsenal / Chelsea incident years ago)

(2) I remember when Spain won the World Cup and heard that Iniesta wherever he played for Barcelona in La Liga his name would always get a cheer from the opposition fans (Because of his goal in the Final)... Apparently he even got cheered when he played @ Real Madrid... Would never happen here
  • Options
    Also how many fans go to games and watch a player for 90mins rather than the match... Again I once read an article to do with Scouting and the bloke who wrote it had gone to this game with a Scout to watch this player... Five mins in and the Scout turned round and said "Your making the same mistake everyone else makes... your watching the game... not the player"

You always see Roy Hodgson in the stands (just like Sven when he did) and bet many people think "Oh he's soaking up another free match to watch" but I bet you any money (figure of speech) he's watching the player(s) he came along to see in the first place
  • Options
    No because England have heehaw chance of winning the World Cup.
  • Options

No because England have heehaw chance of winning the World Cup.

Would you have said at the start of the season Charlton stood a chance of getting to the Semi-Finals on the FA Cup?

This is Football ANYTHING can happen... I dont know about anyone else but I love the game because its so unpredictable (If it wasnt I'd probably own Charlton myself thanks to all the accumulators I'd have won lol!
  • Options
    Anything can happen in football but England winning the World Cup.......................nah!
  • Options
    Im a firm believer that Cleverley is only in the England squad because he plays for United though.

West Ham have had Nolan & Noble playing well in Feb, a month they won all their Prem games. Neither are in the squad.
  • Options

Im a firm believer that Cleverley is only in the England squad because he plays for United though.

West Ham have had Nolan & Noble playing well in Feb, a month they won all their Prem games. Neither are in the squad.

Totally Agree. Cleverley is an extremely average player ( and that's being kind) . if he was playing for Hull or Stoke he wouldn't get a sniff at an England cap.

Where do i sign the petition?
  • Options
    Nasty Bully Boy stuff by keyboard warriors.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Nasty Bully Boy stuff by keyboard warriors.

Have you seen the Riviera out petition?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cleverley is awful, truely awful. I am fully behind VG's post that he's only in the squad due to playin for United. Tom Huddlestone and Jake Livermore have looked superb this season for Hull, where the team has massively overacheived so far.
  • Options

Cleverley is awful, truely awful. I am fully behind VG's post that he's only in the squad due to playin for United. Tom Huddlestone and Jake Livermore have looked superb this season for Hull, where the team has massively overacheived so far.

Forgot about Huddlestone. He does a similar role to Cleverley, although a lot lot better.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    England fans are truly the most pessimistic going. I'm sure the majority of them want the team to lose most of the time anyway!
  • Options
    Ouch, if Tom is reading that he will not have the confidence to go even if selected.

• Options
    Oh well let's just pick the team by petition/referendum then. After all the fans know best.
  • Options
    Regardless of whether TC would get a look-in if he wasn't at United, Woy is spot on with his comments that no manager is ever going to take a petition like this seriously.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    If you think the petition was serious then you need your head testing. Its clearly a piss take for how crap he is.

Its got a bit of publicity though, and Roy will have taken on board that he isn't rated by fans.
  • Options
    A petition should not be necessary .. it is obvious that young Tom is simply not of international standard .. Uncle will probably pick him now to spite the naysayers ((:>) .. let's hope not
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

(2) I remember when Spain won the World Cup and heard that Iniesta wherever he played for Barcelona in La Liga his name would always get a cheer from the opposition fans (Because of his goal in the Final)... Apparently he even got cheered when he played @ Real Madrid... Would never happen here

I'm not so sure. I think if say Sturridge scored the goal that won England the world cup, i'm pretty sure he'd get a cheer or applause at most premier league grounds.
  • Options
    If England won a World Cup, then their players would rightfully get a cheer everywhere they went for a season or so.
  • Options
    Agree with most of the comments here, Tom Cleverley is nowhere near international standard and shouldn't even be considered. I watch an awful lot of football and still now don't know what position hes actually meant to be playing? He can't really tackle, can't shoot, passes backwards about 2 yards and is always caught in possession. He must be an absolute beast in training for him to be starting games. I clicked on that petition and did lol at some of the comments:

"I wish to save him from shaming his country and his family by continuing this fascicle charade. The only way he should appear on my TV this summer is on Rogue Traders for pretending to be a footballer. Also, his lack of ability and beady little eyes lead me to believe he might actually be Welsh"

"TOM CLEVERLY DOESN'T DESERVE TO WEAR AN ENGLAND SHIRT, A MANCHESTER UNITED SHIRT, TOM CLEVERLY DOES NOT DESERVE TO EVEN WEAR SHIN PADS. WHAT A JOKE"

"Because if he was playing football in my back garden I would close the curtains."
  • Options
    Roy Hodgson's reaction to the petition...

• Options
    The fact that Cleverly has 13 caps is incredible. Has he really been in the top two of England centre midfielders over the past 2 years? Not even close.

If he starts ahead of Henderson tonight, I really don't know what Hodgson is thinking. (Assuming that Gerrard/Wilshere will be the other one).
  • Options
    A few years ago the lad looked like he may become a really good International footballer but he has gone backwards alarmingly and shouldn't be anywhere near the England squad on present form
  • Options

The fact that Cleverly has 13 caps is incredible. Has he really been in the top two of England centre midfielders over the past 2 years? Not even close.

If he starts ahead of Henderson tonight, I really don't know what Hodgson is thinking. (Assuming that Gerrard/Wilshere will be the other one).

The same number as Matt Le Tissier earnt.
    That's an amazing stat. Tis had more skill in his little finger that Uncleverley will ever have.
    Just goes to show it's not ability that gets you into the England team , it's the club side you play for.
    If Le Tissier had played for United he would have got over fifty caps easily.
  • Options
    Cleverley is the current Danny Green of the England squad.
  • Options
    Cleverly is not good enough for Man United or England, I really hope for his own sake that he can improve.