Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• Options
    masicat said:

Ha Ha

Please tell me you've not been searching for that pic since February 8th.
  • Options

I have no issues with the debate at all, it's a good healthy discussion on how the midfield should set up and I can see both sides to the Jackson in or out debate. However, personally I find the thread title a little disrespectful to a man who has done so much for the club and typifies everything about Charlton.

Anyway, I still think he has more to give ...

:-)
  • Options
    If we had a team of eleven with the same work ethic, spirit, dedication and ability of Jacko. We would probably be in the Premier League.
    Well done to the whole team and Big Bob tonight. I wasn't expecting a win, I have no idea how the game, went as i 've been out and about all evening but i'm proud that it was achieved.
    Well done Jacko.........................quality.
  • Options
    10 games not at his best doesn't mean he is finished......

Does one game with a goal mean he is worth pushing Cousins out of position and is amazing again? It works both ways.

Is Buyens the one keeping Cousins out of his rightful spot?

Reckon this one will run and run! People are rightfully giving him man love tonight.

But if he has a Boro style stinker on Saturday it will flip again.

Players are only as good as their last game it seems. What you need is 20 games and then look at how many a player went missing and how many they were immense.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

If we had a team of eleven with the same work ethic, spirit, dedication and ability of Jacko. We would probably be in the Premier League.
    Well done to the whole team and Big Bob tonight. I wasn't expecting a win, I have no idea how the game, went as i 've been out and about all evening but i'm proud that it was achieved.
    Well done Jacko.........................quality.

Top post
  • Options
    Cometh the hour cometh the man.

Jacko you are that man.
  • Options

He scores big goals no taking that away from him. A deflected effort tonight, so maybe got a slice of luck he hasn't been getting but he bagged us the three points, no denying it.

What is at least up for debate though - would we have surrendered so much possession and been under such constant pressure with someone else in centre midfield? I wasn't at the game so I can't say, but his goal tonight does not shut all his critics up as very few people have ever had serious criticism for his ability to score goals, it's his ability to influence the entire 90 mins, as a quality modern centre midfielder should, that is up for question.

I'm delighted for him tonight though and he has put me in a cracking mood. So well done Johnnie, take it into Saturday and give a proper all action performance.

Agree 100%. Delighted for him. No one has questioned his technical ability or knack for scoring the odd winning goal, so I wouldn't say anyone has been proved right or wrong based solely on tonight.
  • Options
    First and foremost the club needs leadership. In the boardroom, for the squad and on the pitch. We have that now...in spades and still people want to chop and change! CAFC is a high performance sports club based on talent, culture and preparation.
    Depending upon weather and cup progress we might be playing anything up to seven matches a month in the new year and we need a decent set of 18 motivated players to do that. So rotation / dropping players is a risk when it comes to management of a squad.
    Fairly obvious what the best back five are... But the front six is open to a lot of debate. Some are calling for loan players to improve the squad so we can "push for the premier league". Or simply for cover. I'm more than happy with the current squad and captain and can wait until January and next summer for improvements.
    Bottom line is that Peeters has to find the best front six for the club at this time AND have clear leadership. I think ideas and thinking will evolve over time and it's up to players to make their own claims. Peeters is using all three subs every game, some quite early and almost always in the front six positions. For a variety of reasons, we've yet to see 90 minutes with both Bulot and Gudmundsson playing throughout so no hurry to dispense with anyone just yet, especially not Jackson!
    I think we should applaud the fact that Jackson helped Riga pull things together just six months ago (when others were lining up deals elsewhere). For sure fans have differing opinions on players and I'd love to see more of Cousins in his preferred role in the centre.
    Perhaps when we are pushing for wins against bottom half teams Peeters will play a more attacking / younger set up. But games like Norwich (a) need experience and leadership to even get close to a result.

[written the other day but left unposted!]
  • Options
    Well done Jacko! I too have previously contributed to this thread but my comments were always around fitting him into a 4 man midfield.

I stand by my previous comments where I have said the only way he can fit into the system is in a 5-man midfield as he did tonight and put in a very good performance in a more attacking role which clearly suits him better, in fact there was a time in the 2nd half he rolled the ball to Vetokele where I thought he would have been better placed to have a go at goal.

Tonight JJ put in his best performance this season i've seen as his position at the tip of the midfield in the 2nd half in particular suited him best.

No humble pie for me either but again a big well done to JJ, we all want to see JJ and all the squad do well and hopefully BB will apply the same lineup and formation against Birmingham which clearly suits JJ better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

It's amazing just how many of his goals have been game changers for us, or have come at a time when they were especially important.

http://staddickstics.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/johnnie-jacksons-goals/

Great work @Stig . The one goal you've missed out is the one he scored against Watford at the end of last season. :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Nope I'm not having it, he's too old , and too slow his legs have gone, did you see how long it took him to run over to the corner flag to celebrate when the goal went in, now who else can we start a thread on?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Brilliant. Thanks, Callum, I'll add it in when I get a mo.
  • Options

Come in Number 4 and silence your critics.

check the activity page to see how many people now have this as their picture
  • Options
    A 'head not legs' footballer who has shown he is worth his weight in gold time and time again.

That is what a captain is about ladies and gents. Most clubs would do anything to have the personality JJ has in the squad.
  • Options
    Few more from last night if anyone wants a new profile pic!

• Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

A 'head not legs' footballer who has shown he is worth his weight in gold time and time again.

That is what a captain is about ladies and gents. Most clubs would do anything to have the personality JJ has in the squad.

Spot on!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He scores big goals no taking that away from him. A deflected effort tonight, so maybe got a slice of luck he hasn't been getting but he bagged us the three points, no denying it.

What is at least up for debate though - would we have surrendered so much possession and been under such constant pressure with someone else in centre midfield? I wasn't at the game so I can't say, but his goal tonight does not shut all his critics up as very few people have ever had serious criticism for his ability to score goals, it's his ability to influence the entire 90 mins, as a quality modern centre midfielder should, that is up for question.

I'm delighted for him tonight though and he has put me in a cracking mood. So well done Johnnie, take it into Saturday and give a proper all action performance.

Agree 100%. Delighted for him. No one has questioned his technical ability or knack for scoring the odd winning goal, so I wouldn't say anyone has been proved right or wrong based solely on tonight.
    Summed up well here by @Addick in SW16

As I mentioned before, part of the reason I had been frustrated with JJ was because I couldn't see what role he was playing in the current set up. For me, what he did last night was the biggest reason he's in the team, and I don't think anyone can say he's contributed in that way yet this season, aside from the assist against Derby & Brentford. Yes he is a great captain and I do agree with the argument that there's probably things he does on the pitch the supporters don't directly see the benefit of (leadership etc).

Personally the title of the thread was probably a little strong, but I remember it was off the back of one of the poor performances last season, and I know people vent on this site in frustration. I certainly do and can think of posts where my language has probably been a bit too strong.

His contribution in his time here has been immense. I don't think a barrage of humble pie related posts to those that posed a question about his overall offering is completely necessary, but there you go.

I didn't go last night, so all I have to say is hats off to him for his goal, and I welcome any comments on general performance. Did the 3 man central set up help him? This is something that could be key in getting more goals from him, as opposed to him & Buyens
  • Options
    I think last night shows that JJ works better in a 5 man midfield rather than as one of two central midfielders in a 4!

The fact that Bob changed to a 5 shows he's learning that too.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Who would have thought 4 years ago that a 27-28 year old emergency loan from League Two Notts County to give us cover at left back would end up scoring 40 plus goals for us and captaining us to the top ten of the Championship?

…and beyond?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Who would have thought 4 years ago that a 27-28 year old emergency loan from League Two Notts County to give us cover at left back would end up scoring 40 plus goals for us and captaining us to the top ten of the Championship?

to be fair he signed for notts county when they were taken over by a con man who claimed to be buying for a middle eastern royal family. They couldn't afford his wages.
  • Options

Let's see Jackson taking the game by the scruff of the neck on a regular basis (at home especially) starting this Saturday.

But that's not his style. Neither is it Cousin's but Buyens could do that IF he crossed the halfway line. We see JJ's goals, his corner and free kick delivery stand out but the rest is mostly about positional ability and accurate passing, something that is easily overlooked. As was said above "head not legs".
  • Options
    I don't think it's so much of JJ taking a game by the scruff of the neck but just think it's simply more of wanting him to make an impact on a game which he clearly did last night which I believe was down to playing him in an attacking role of a 5 man midfield. Nobody wants to see JJ chasing shadows in front of the defence, his strength is popping up with a crucial goal as he did last night being further forward.
  • Options
    No.4 your time has come to speak on TalkSport with H&J this afternoon.
  • Options
    As I keep saying, a five-man midfield with Jacko is a good away tactic.

A five-man midfield at home, just to accommodate him, is madness. He has to be able to play in a four.
  • Options
    Me and my regular Charlton crowd have discussed this in recent weeks and came to the consensus that if/when Bulot or Moussa (or someone else) proves his worth as a wide/attacking midfielder then Jacko's days in the starting 11 are numbered. Playing Cousins on the left to accommodate JJ's absence of pace really isn't working BUT it has until now been the least bad option for a very thin squad. It would also take a coach with big balls and thick skin to drop such a talismanic figure, one of the very few links to a familiar Charlton. There's no doubt Big Bob has those big balls. The case for JJ's inclusion from the start is not strengthened much by last night's fortunate goal and result. When selecting from a fully available squad Bob has better options for his first 11. Jacko will understand that, indeed his consistently decent performances so far this season indicate that JJ is all too aware of the perilous nature of his inclusion.
    Johnnie Jackson's elevated place in the annals of Charlton Athletic is assured.