Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

As I keep saying, a five-man midfield with Jacko is a good away tactic.

A five-man midfield at home, just to accommodate him, is madness. He has to be able to play in a four.

You have summed it up perfectly.

Away. 4-5-1 (or 4-4-1-1). Captain Jacko all the way.

Home. 4-4-2. Cousins in the middle a la second half v Boro IMO.

Nobody can claim Jacko can play in a middle 2. The extra man allows him to be more effective.
  • Options

Leuth said:

As I keep saying, a five-man midfield with Jacko is a good away tactic.

A five-man midfield at home, just to accommodate him, is madness. He has to be able to play in a four.

You have summed it up perfectly.

Away. 4-5-1 (or 4-4-1-1). Captain Jacko all the way.

Home. 4-4-2. Cousins in the middle a la second half v Boro IMO.

Nobody can claim Jacko can play in a middle 2. The extra man allows him to be more effective.
    Surely it also depends on the capabilities of the wide men either side ?
  • Options
    I love you JJ!
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Like to see Jackson take over the under 21 ...... When the time comes

But Saturday we should go back to 442 and that should rule out Jackson we need to go and win the game so setting the pace of the game and Bulot, Moussa cousins Buyons give you the best chance of that

Nothing to say about last night's game or Jackson's contribution I see. I wonder why that is?

Ignore the evidence and just plow on with the anti-JJ campaign as ever.
  • Options

Nobody can claim Jacko can play in a middle 2.

He has played in a middle two for nine league games this season. We haven't lost any of them so yes I do claim he can play in a middle two.

The extra man allows him to be more effective.

That would be the case for any midfielder, not just JJ.

I'll say it again. JJ isn't and never has been undroppable but four very different successive managers have kept picking him.

People can, quite rightly, argue his strengths and weakness and whether he should or shouldn't play but this goes much much further.

We are constantly told "his time is up" or "his legs are gone" and even "he contributes nothing". That just isn't true and a few others on here (and far more importantly Bob Peeters) can see that. Some others just can't or won't which is why Colin hasn't posted today.

I think people have begun to wonder whether or not his time is up based on some games seemingly passing him by this season. I cite Wolves for example, he seemed to be non existent. Happy to put that down to the fact as a 2 both he and Buyens aren't being used to the best of their abilities, and as a 3 we might see more of what he gave us last night. Again for me, him doing what he did last night is the reason he should be picked. I would argue that the 9 games previously, he hasn't really looked like doing this. For all concerned, it seems a 3 man central midfield is better as we don't seem to have a partner who can help Vetokele, and judging by the re-action on this thread and last night, JJ still has a lot to offer if he is afforded Cousins & Buyens either side.

The only thing I do have an issue with is playing 1 up top in home games, bit too negative for me.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

But Saturday we should go back to 442 and that should rule out Jackson we need to go and win the game so setting the pace of the game and Bulot, Moussa cousins Buyons give you the best chance of that

Classic!
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

colin for CAFC manager/chairman/owner/overlord 2015.
  • Options
    I think on the whole on this board I have only seen constructive criticism. I hope we don't see anything close to 'dogs abuse' and I personally haven't heard anything close to that in the stands. It's not on if true.

My main thoughts now switch to how we get Cousins into the centre as it would be disastorous if he got frustrated and left.

Henry - I know you are a big Jackson fan. How do you think we accommodate Cousins in the middle at home (guessing 4 4 2). Would you chuck Buyens? My worry is we would have nobody to take the pens with his effect.

I really want to see Cousins in the centre as we got a taste against Boro of what it can offer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Henry - I know you are a big Jackson fan. How do you think we accommodate Cousins in the middle at home (guessing 4 4 2). Would you chuck Buyens? My worry is we would have nobody to take the pens with his effect.

Ask Bob, it's him who keeps picking him.

I really want to see Cousins in the centre as we got a taste against Boro of what it can offer.

As I said for all of about 11 minutes against 11 men. Cousins is a great player and is the present and the future but people going overboard on the 11 minutes to prove that JJ is "finished"

• Options
    I love him.... just that
  • Options

I think on the whole on this board I have only seen constructive criticism. I hope we don't see anything close to 'dogs abuse' and I personally haven't heard anything close to that in the stands. It's not on if true.

My main thoughts now switch to how we get Cousins into the centre as it would be disastorous if he got frustrated and left.

Definately agree that there is no abuse, but he is a fan's favourite and (as I discovered regarding another favourite LW) you are not able to say a bad word against them - even constructively!

I disagree that Buyens stays in the team on the chance we get a penalty, that is just as bad as keeping JJ in the team just for corners, or in case he gets a last minute chance - Jackson had a decent chance Vs Watford (?) quite late on that he put past the far post.

I think that it is clear that JJ in particular is more effective when supported by other 2 CMs, and it changes his game more so than it would YB or JC. However, due to the stubborness of some on here they will not admit that he still has a fair bit to offer as part of a 3, and likewise due to stubborness (blind faith and / man love) many will not agree his time is likely numbered in a midfield 2.

• Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Jacko brought to Charlton to give us cultured support on the left? Whether full back or midfield? That's what I remember. I never remember him initially as a central midfielder.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Been out of circulation for a while, I see we won at Norwich then and a certain No 4 and Captain scored the winner in the 86th minute after his legs would surely have gone, well I'll be damned who'd a thought it :-0 .............................Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Been out of circulation since Sunday, I see we won at Norwich then and a certain No 4 and Captain scored the winner, well I'll be damned who'd a thought it :-0 .............................Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Talking of going over old ground....

Thanks Colin.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

RedChaser said:

Been out of circulation since Sunday, I see we won at Norwich then and a certain No 4 and Captain scored the winner, well I'll be damned who'd a thought it :-0 .............................Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Talking of going over old ground....

Thanks Colin.
    You like giving it don't you mate but you wanna learn to take it as well. Read what I said carefully, I've been out of circulation which means it's NEW ground for me :-)
  • Options
    Rob said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Jacko brought to Charlton to give us cultured support on the left? Whether full back or midfield? That's what I remember. I never remember him initially as a central midfielder.

he's been used on the left and the centre his whole career. I seem to remember quite a few saying we should sign jacko as a like for like replacement for andy reid. Imagine a young jacko in this team...
  • Options
    In JJ's interview on Youtube he says he hopes to have a couple of seasons in him and finish his career at Charlton and helping us to the Premier League. Praises the part supporters play but said he doesn't go on to fan forums, fans entitled to their opinions but players shouldn't get involved, but his dad has a look and tells him what's being said.
  • Options
    Cousins is a good player, but his passing is still not very accurate and he gives the ball away too often. On the wing this is bearable,in a two man midfield it would be a disaster.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I always wonder why, it devides and separates so much, when on the JJ debate, it's quite a close call.

If he chips in with 10 goals a season, he is a great skipper, a fantastic competitor, and the other players think the world of him,then he will be picked. And rightly so.

Some games even thou putting in a shift, have passed him by recently, which is why people being so adamant that he should always play are questionable.

This is the first manager that so far, i have 100% trust in his selections.

While Peeters is picking JJ then it is the right decision.
    but being a CAFC forum it's allowed to be discussed without it being treason.

The "come in no 4 your time is up" was done for comedic value, but that sure ain't no way to treat a
    guy who has lifted silverware and will always give up time to talk to fans, even traveling on the same train on occasions.

None of the above line is why he should be in the team, but he deserved our respect, if you are, for or against him making the starting 11.
  • Options

I always wonder why, it devides and separates so much, when on the JJ debate, it's quite a close call.

If he chips in with 10 goals a season, he is a great skipper, a fantastic competitor, and the other players think the world of him,then he will be picked. And rightly so.

Some games even thou putting in a shift, have passed him by recently, which is why people being so adamant that he should always play are questionable.

This is the first manager that so far, i have 100% trust in his selections.

While Peeters is picking JJ then it is the right decision.
    but being a CAFC forum it's allowed to be discussed without it being treason.

The "come in no 4 your time is up" was done for comedic value, but that sure ain't no way to treat a
    guy who has lifted silverware and will always give up time to talk to fans, even traveling on the same train on occasions.

None of the above line is why he should be in the team, but he deserved our respect, if you are, for or against him making the starting 11.

I think for me as I mentioned, the title was probably written in frustration off the back of what the poster perceived to be a poor performance(s). I've done it, and I've prob been overly critical of JJ in the grand scheme of things and how much he's given the club.

Everything you say above is correct. But I don't think the original poster meant any disrespect with the title.
  • Options
    Come on now let's get our heads out of Jackos arse it was a scuffed daisy cutter that wrong footed Ruddy because of a deflection otherwise it was a simple save
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Come on now let's get our heads out of Jackos arse it was a scuffed daisy cutter that wrong footed Ruddy because of a deflection otherwise it was a simple save

Sometimes you make your luck though. And, it all counts
  • Options
    @LenGlover‌ I hope so too. No reason why he can't go on to score another five goals this season.
    Since we got back to the championship his scoring record for us is 18 goals in the past three seasons (1 currently, 5 last season and 12 the season before).
  • Options
    Anonymous again today unless i missed his contributions. Not necessarily a Knocker but do think we would be better served by replacing him with Cousins in CM
  • Options
    OMFG Seriously
  • Options
    OMFG YES.
    Enlighten me if you think otherwise