Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• edited September 2014

Not the worse centre mid today.

Buyens had a mare but JJ is an easy target.

Cousins was my MOTM today but he, and Charlton, started to look more balanced long before JJ went off.

Cousins and JBG switched wings at about the 25 minute stage and JC looked far more comfortable.

2nd half the whole team and JJ tried to attack more and it showed. Buyens was still poor (yes he was. He's been good in other games but not today).

Subbing the ageing JJ was a logical move and we continued to play well.

Couldn't agree more and the same as last week Henners.
  • I thought Buyens was ok today. Cousins looked better when he went centre mid and Moussa did well wide left. Bulot is a wide player and it didn't work playing off Vetokele. I have got no agenda with Jackson but I thought he was poor. Problems are still the same a partner for Vetokele and a box to box centre mid.
  • Buyens made a few mistakes because he was involved in the game. At least he didn't go AWOL.
    Jackson was invisible.
  • Agreed Buyens didn't have a great game today and gave the ball away too often but at least he gets himself on the ball and does still find forward passes, JJ sadly just chases shadows as he can't keep up with the pace of the game and when he does have the ball usually ends up playing an easy ball backwards to Wiggins.

I still feel JJ has a role to play with the team but it has to be coming off from the bench popping up with a goal like he did at Ipswich last season or with his late QPR goal.

Opposition teams know to press Buyens which forces him into mistakes and they also double up on Vetokele knowing he's our main threat which then means it's over to JBG, Moussa, Tucudean, Cousins etc to do something when they have the ball.

In short we have been found out. Said this after the Wolves game and it needs changing now starting with JJ moving to the bench and someone alongside Vetokele
  • I thought Buyens was poor today, Jackson not much better, could have taken either off. Don't get the constant slagging off of our captain.
  • Nug said:

I thought Buyens was poor today, Jackson not much better, could have taken either off. Don't get the constant slagging off of our captain.

It isn't slagging off. Being our captain doesn't mean he can get away at performing at a level lower than we need. Main concern for me is that I want Cousins in the centre. We gain more from that than we would lose from Jacko dropping to the bench for a rest.

Jacko is the new Chris Powell on this board it seems. The pro Powells are pro Jacko and the people who wanted a change of manager are the anti Jackos it seems (as a general rule)
  • JJ was ineffective today but he would not be getting in the team if he was chuff week in week out. Think we should have played 2 up front though and Tucudean may have given their defenders something else to think about.
  • Buyens isn't getting time and space any more as he's being tailed everywhere. He needs pace in the middle with him to force opponents to keep an eye on both players - at present they can leave Jacko as he is ineffective.
  • Time for JJ to be rested, Cousins moved into the middle & Gudmunson (if fit) moved to the left, with Wilson playing as a right winger. That gives us balance as Cousins cant take on the fullback & had to pass back all the time.
  • edited September 2014
    Jacko is better in a "three" but in the last couple of games he has been no better or worse alongside the young Belgium fella in midfield.

Nine games out of 46 gone and Petters is running with a 20 man squad plus kids. Expect to see the "Jacko" in the majority of them games unless M.Roly wants to help the manager rectify that.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think Jacko had his greatest game today, but Cousins played in the middle at a point in the game when the opposition were at their most tired and, for a 15 mins chunk, down to 10 men. He is therefore bound to look more influential than Jacko.

However, what is clear to see is that Cousins looks so much more used to playing in the middle and could be brilliant there long term. It also served as a reminder of the importance to stay patient with him when being played "out of position" on the wing.
  • edited September 2014
    Buyens would be a lot better if he was given a partner to play with. Everytime Buyens gets the ball Jackson is nowhere to be found on the opposite end of the pitch, so he has to go back to Ben Haim time after time.

Once Cousins was in there it was a completely different story and we dominated them.
  • We looked much better when Cousins moved inside! Jackson is Mr Charlton which you have to love but he isn't getting in the box at all this season and passes sideways or backwards it's sad to watch coz he's been amazing for CAFC since he joined the club a legend but things move on
  • We need Cousins in the middle driving the ball against the opposition, they had no choice but to bring him down, neither Jackson or Buyens will do that.

From where I was sitting Jacko gave a pen away in the first half - he's clearly struggling with the pace...
  • Ah, this shit again. Excellent.

You need to give hard actual reasons in a debate rather than just branding it shit.

Such as clear and concise aspects that he adds to our play and why you would prefer him in the middle to cousins (the alternative)
  • I think Jacko has earned the right to have a few poor games, it's not like he's throwing games away singlehandedly is it, still believe we're unbeaten this season. Buyens has been here 5 minutes and looked decent but agree that the two of them together might need changing for a game or two. We need a bit more spark going forward and neither are doing it. I still think Jacksons dead ball delivery is excellent and some of Cousins corners in first half particularly were poor.
  • You're all out of order, I've been trying so hard this season. You lot weren't complaining after my last minute header against QPR last season. You're all fickle, I'm going to accept that contract offer from Arsenal now.
  • Nug said:

I think Jacko has earned the right to have a few poor games, it's not like he's throwing games away singlehandedly is it, still believe we're unbeaten this season. Buyens has been here 5 minutes and looked decent but agree that the two of them together might need changing for a game or two. We need a bit more spark going forward and neither are doing it. I still think Jacksons dead ball delivery is excellent and some of Cousins corners in first half particularly were poor.

His dead ball delivery had historically been very good - which makes it all the more bizarre that cousins is taking the corners. Hence why i am questioning Jackos inclusion. If he isn't taking the set pieces then there is very little other reason to include him. If Peeters wants to keep him in and compromise Cousins by moving him out wide - then at least give Jacko the corners.

You need to give hard actual reasons in a debate rather than just branding it shit.

Such as clear and concise aspects that he adds to our play and why you would prefer him in the middle to cousins (the alternative)
    I like Cousins a lot as a player and he did look good in the middle today. It is important to temper that though, as someone pointed out elsewhere, that Boro had 10 players only for most of the time that Jordan played in the middle.

Much of Jackson's best work this season has been done off the ball covering and supporting offering the easy option for a pass and moving the ball on. Bread and butter work but essential nevertheless. The problem today was Yoni Buyens having his worst game so far in a Charlton shirt. That put extra pressure on Jackson and stopped him getting forward in support of Igor. Hence his (Igor) isolation for much of the game.

The time is coming for big Bob to make a few decisions as to where Jacko is best employed. For me it is just behind the strikers where his strengths of ghosting in, pinpoint passing and shooting can be fully utilised.

The Jackson we are seeing at the moment is one who is doing a job for the team rather than one being allowed to play to his strengths.

Exactly the same can be said of Jordan Cousins out on the left wing. He offers too much to be left out but is not fully being played to his strengths and thus, like Jacko, receives his share of criticism on here.

In my view over a 46 game season both still have much to offer.

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2014
    Agree with this Len, he is also Big Bob's choice as captain and his mouthpiece on the pitch. As I have said before JJ is 1st on the team sheet. He provides the experience and leadership BB wants and has only just signed a 2 year contract extension like it or not. He didn't have his best game today but Buyens was no better in fact I thought he was worse following on from another poor game last week at Rotherham.

Basically what his detractors are doing is questioning BBs decision to keep playing him and or the tactics he is employing. I'd say that with the points return so far and no defeats BB might just maintain the status quo. Keep banging the drum by all means but don't be surprised if BB refuses to dance to the beat.
  • The old adage, never change a winning team, what about a drawing team?

The extra pace in the last 30 mins today was tangible.

Cousins on the left seemed shackled, when he went on the right, he improved,
    In the middle he started the runs which opened up the game and we seemed to have various attacking options.
    The fact is JJ and Yoni are one paced (slowish) which means only Johann and jordon can inject some pace into our midfield play.

Unlike the fans Peeters has to be discerning and not get into past successes and pick the team for today.
    Jackson is a great skipper, but his goals have dried up, so should only be picked on merit.

Big Bob will do this, if and when he thinks it's necessary.
  • Jacko has been and still will be a good player for Charlton. But let's not kid ourselves . . . he cannot keep up with the pace of the game. It is easy to say that Buyens has put pressure on Jackson . . . but likewise it works both ways. Buyens could be struggling from the lack of support from Jackson!! The game generally passes him by. His one saving grace was his ability to pop up with important goals . . . that is not the case today. Right now he could be an impact substitution . . . if he can hit the net. Take the blinkers off guy's . . . a man's got to know his limitations!
  • T69 said:

Jacko has been and still will be a good player for Charlton. But let's not kid ourselves . . . he cannot keep up with the pace of the game. It is easy to say that Buyens has put pressure on Jackson . . . but likewise it works both ways. Buyens could be struggling from the lack of support from Jackson!! The game generally passes him by. His one saving grace was his ability to pop up with important goals . . . that is not the case today. Right now he could be an impact substitution . . . if he can hit the net. Take the blinkers off guy's . . . a man's got to know his limitations!

Yeah Bob take your blinkers off!!

I've already stated that more than once in this thread. It's funny that when any other player has one poor game people say 'he had a poor game' but when one of our best performers over the past few years and our captain has one poor game the 'he's past it, take him out back and shoot him' thread pops up again. Bit weird really.
    Off the back of the last few games JJ has come in for criticism due to his performances, and it is warranted. I'm going to try and put forward a balanced view here.

The Pros

He has embodied everything about what is good about this club over the last 3/4 years and has been a model pro in every sense of the word. I believe he gives it his all, week in, week out. When he first came in on loan and then signed, we had him at left back and left wing. His set pieces and crossing was very good throughout his career, so this was a natural position. He then developed a knack to make late runs into the box and an eye for goal. Throughout the league one winning season he was superb. He was in a very good team, and at that time, as a team and as individuals, most of our players were playing a level below where they should. I remember the two superb free kicks against both Sheffield clubs, the goals and the leadership. He then continued his goal scoring form into the Championship the season we got promoted. I will say however, we had some decent players in that first season back in the Championship, but JJ was instrumental in a successful first season back. Last season, he didn't have a great first half of the season, but he had a great run in, epitomised by the last minute goals against QPR and 2nd goal against Watford to guarantee survival. Add to that, the whole upheaval and generally poor team we had last season, you have to credit him for this. This season, so far, his highlights for me have been a great assist against Derby, and I think a good ball through to wiggins last Sat at Rotherham. I'm sure there are a couple more, but I have only seen the Derby, Watford, Wolves, Rotherham & Boro games, I can't think of any in those games.

The Cons

The obvious one. Pace. I actually thought games were passing him by the first season back in the Championship. Now he really is struggling in there. The next is I think as a player, he has been afforded a lot of the shape and our play, to accommodate him. Now yes, he's a good player, but CP really built that midfield around him too much last season, at the expense of others. For example, when we went as a 4, as we do this season, both Cousins and Pritchard thrown out on the right. This season, Cousins out on the left so JJ can be in the middle. Only when Poyet and Cousins came into the team last season as a 4-5-1, did it work, because they did all the running for him. I have no complaints with this, as long as he chips in with the goals from late runs. This season however, it's harder for him to do, as it's a midfield two. Also, when was the last time he scored from a free kick? I actually think it was that Sheff Utd game in the league one title. Now, I think Buyens will have more to offer over the course of the season, and to get more out of him, Cousins should be in the centre.

I don't think he gets more criticism than any other. For example, I think the majority of fans will agree Wiggins is a very good player. However, he's not had the best of starts this season, and people have mentioned this. It's the same for JJ. I think it is more under the magnifying glass when he doesn't score, because he has made this a massive part of his game. He himself through his talent, has in a sense left us with an expectation that he can/should be getting forward and scoring. I'm not saying this is all he does, but for me it's a huge part of it. As soon as he's not doing it, that is where I think the criticism comes from.

Overall I think there is a big question over whether or not he can sustain it this season.

I've already stated that more than once in this thread. It's funny that when any other player has one poor game people say 'he had a poor game' but when one of our best performers over the past few years and our captain has one poor game the 'he's past it, take him out back and shoot him' thread pops up again. Bit weird really.
    Gary. This thread started in February. Last season. His only position I can see is top of a diamond but it seems Bob doesn't like his full backs attacking. Otherwise a five. I think our current side has outgrown his attributes.
  • Nug said:

I think Jacko has earned the right to have a few poor games, it's not like he's throwing games away singlehandedly is it, still believe we're unbeaten this season. Buyens has been here 5 minutes and looked decent but agree that the two of them together might need changing for a game or two. We need a bit more spark going forward and neither are doing it. I still think Jacksons dead ball delivery is excellent and some of Cousins corners in first half particularly were poor.

Unbeaten isn't necessarily a good thing, we all know how long Huddersfield were unbeaten, and they were consistantly 10 points behind us that season