Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• I'd say the fact we have no decent wingers is more the reason Cousins was pushed out wide.
  • Personally I would have started with Green on the wing and Cousins at CM rather than JJ. I guess that wouldn't have worked either!
  • I thought Midfield was by far our strongest position today, we desperately need to bring in a winger though.
  • Love jj but he's not half the player he was? Where the jj gone that scored 2 weeks running with his awesome free kicks
    Today's were woefull
  • Ben18 said:

Disappointed to see Jacko becoming a scapegoat for fans when we're not doing well.

He is our captain, our leader, and still one of our best players.

Just proves how fickle football fans are, when they would rather play inexperience in a relegation scrap.

Chris Powell is right to make sure Jacko is in the team every week.

Get behind the players and the manager.

It isn't scapegoating though, no-one is saying that all our problems would be solved if he went. The fact remains that he is played in the same position as two of our most promising prospects in years, and as a result at least one of them is out of position and potentially losing important experience. It is also undeniable his physical prowess is not what it once was, and given he was not very quick in the first place this makes him very slow indeed.
  • Powell's loyalty will not help either of them - will he play against the Owls next week ? A big decision...
  • Experience still counts but the time has come to play him fromthe bench.
  • I thought the midfield was good & only got over run when Powell took JJ off & dropped Cousins back. There was no organisation in the last 15 mins what JJ provides.
  • edited February 2014
    Posting without reading.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel JJ can slot to LB, when Rhoys is injured?
  • Sponsored links:

• _nam11 said:

Posting without reading.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel JJ can slot to LB, when Rhoys is injured?

Burke was skinning Evina who is much quicker than JJ
  • _nam11 said:

Posting without reading.

NO. Alternatively, FUCK NO. Way too slow, gives any half decent (or even quarter decent) winger free rein down the left hand side. He was late to 50-50s and tussles for the ball yesterday, if he's like that at full back our defence is going to get even more pressure than before. Even if Evina isn't the answer, I'd much rather see a youngster/loanee fill the spot than JJ.
  • _nam11 said:

Posting without reading.

I would say yes and would be a better option than Evina and Lennon, he would make up for his obvious lack of pace with his intelligants and ability to read the game. People make out that instantly if you don't have Pace your going to get skinned, Clint Hill played a lot for QPR at left back and was far from there week link and more recently they've signed Aaron Hughes to play right back. Ivanovic at Chelsea should be getting slaughtered most weeks at right back but obviously not otherwise he wouldn't be regular there in the best defence in the Premiership. I'm not saying it's ideal but if we don't sign a left back on loan and Wiggins is out for a good few weeks then I'd say it's definetly the best option we have at the moment.

• He's not good enough for this division. And he is not good enough to captain this club.
    League one, yes he was perfect.
    Now? no way.
  • I have mentioned on another thread, JJ came to us from Notts County as a full back.
    Good captain, who have we got as a better captain.
    You don't always need speed as a full back, just hit the winger early on to let them know you are there.
    Agree if we don't get a replacement while RW is injured, much better option than Evina!
  • But I still love him to bits and would have him in the side, somewhere, somehow.

Unfortunately, SCP seems to feel the same way. Much as I love JJ and will always have huge respect for him, he simply is not pulling his weight this season. We have to forget nights like the Cardiff game last year and deal with the reality of the current season. I'd much rather see Ajdarevic with Cousins in the centre of midfield which leaves nowhere for JJ. That is just the way football goes.

• Ben18 said:

Disappointed to see Jacko becoming a scapegoat for fans when we're not doing well.

Just proves how fickle football fans are, when they would rather play inexperience in a relegation scrap.

Bit of a sweeping statement that seeing as all the players we have loaned or signed have never played in The Championship. It would seem the management would prefer to play inexperienced players as well as "fickle" fans.
  • edited February 2014

Thought we looked far worse once he went off. Need his leadership too.

because his leadership has been great this season.... we're in the relegation zone

because his leadership has been great this season.... we're in the relegation zone

that is a stupid statement , its not Jackson fault we are in the situation we are in , I bet you was not saying this when he scored in the last Min at Ipswich

against Birmingham we was much more poorer after he went off
  • edited February 2014
    Ben18 said:

Posts like this irritate the life out of me.

Its not being fickle seeing a player struggle over the course of the last few months and becoming concerned.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2014
    _nam11 said:

Posting without reading.

Absolutely not, dreadful left back. Constantly caught out of position, loses his man far too easily, very slow turning & would get skinned everytime. Push the ball past him & run, far too easy.

Has been brilliant for us the last couple of years but his time is coming to an end with the youngsters coming through.
  • I think Cousins and Poyet have bundles of talent and potential, but if we go into the last third of the season with the two of them in the middle of the park we will not get out of the bottom 3 imho. Has to be some experience/cool heads as well. I like the look of AA but he's untested too. I think people are looking for a scapegoat.
  • Probably one of the best threads on the site currently. He was lucky the team was strong enough to accommodate him last season. Adds nothing this season. The odd assist and couple of goals he's got are nothing compared to the sacrifice the other midfielders have to make in doing his running for him. I don't buy any if this talk about his leadership capabilities. He can lead in training and by following Hughes' example being on the bench and encouraging. He is definitely one player who's contract we do not want to re-new.
  • Agree JJ hasn't been that much of a force of late but with the current state of most pitches I'm not surprised. Against Birmingham the pitch was a right pudding and most of the players struggled to some extent. One tactic for those in the twilight of their careers is to drop into a holding role or sweeper. Position rather than pace is the key then.
  • He is a fighter and a trier and a leader . Players who fit that bill are few and far between in our squad. It would be madness to cast him aside following the departure of in particular Kermogant.it might not be right to play him in every minute of every game and in every tactical set up but I would be disappointed not to see him out there more often than not over the rest of this season .
  • I think there is still a job for him but it might not involve anything very important or lasting 90 minutes
  • Pretty sure he can do 90+ minute's :)
  • Someone should change the name of this thread to "Humble pie"....................