Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Terry

Comments

• Options
    I saw @Tracey post on Instagram that it was on, and that she was a close friend to Antons mum and it devastated the family.

I haven't got around to watching it yet, for those who have is it worth the watch
  • Options
    Even if he was a Chelsea supporter, why would you do that to someone.
    that's why i called them cowards there was a video on here of a couple of spurs fans goading millwall fans after they beat them ( any excuse to bring that up @Big_Bad_World :wink: ) and got a smack in the gob. some would say that was excessive.
    :smile: I'd say it was more to do with the stupidity on the part of the Spurs fans. Goad your friends at close quarters, by all means. Don't do it when theres a few thousand opposition fans passing you and you're pissed up with just you and your equally oiled mate for company. It's only going to end one way.
    It was a cracking shot by the spanner as well.
  • Options
    I'm going to give the program a watch - not expecting to hear things about John Terry or the FA. I can only imagine how lonely Anton must have felt at the time.

Terry has always struck me as a bit of a twat regardless of his ability as a footballer.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Every player who plays football at any level should sign a legal document stating that any Racist or homophobic remarks to another player or team will result in a fine and ban. Have this translated into Portuguese and Spanish for South American players who use the word Negro without seemingly  realising the offence it causes to most Black players.  (I know that many do realize and use the word to unsettle on the field) 

It's not acceptable in 2020 for players to use these terms. It never was but Regis, Cunningham, Clyde Best, Anderson played in a time when  it was common language because of ignorance.

I was at a match two months ago at Beckenham towns ground between Brixton and another team from Southwark. A London cup final in a Sunday League. The players and crowd were mainly black folk.
    On several occasions I heard the "N" word and I don't mean Negro between friends greeting each other in the crowd.
    I was at that game watching players I know who also play in the 8th level as part time professionals.

As I'm a "white person" I still find this hard to understand why an offensive remark can also be an ironic friendly word. I guess it's similar to two gay men calling each other all the homophobic names under the sun but it's only offensive if said by a straight man or woman.
  • Options
    Agree, Suarez definitely knew what he was doing and that Evra would bite !

Suarez was born a talented footballer but is a nasty piece of work on the football field.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Jordan Henderson met with AF for the programme and admitted that Liverpool FC didn't handle the Suarez incident correctly in hindsight. He said that they supported their teammate without giving consideration to protecting Evra. Tom Werner, the Liverpool chairman, wrote to Evra this year apologising for the way the club supported Suarez in the aftermath and Jamie Carragher also admitted last year that they were wrong. Far too late in my opinion but at least they recognize that they should've conducted themselves better and hopefully it's a lesson learnt. Maybe Bielsa at Leeds may one day apologise for giving Casilla the captains armband after he racially abused Jonathan Leko.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yet not surprising. Liverpool FC - Always the victims.
    Even blamed Heysel on London support, that was shown in interviews the scousers gave after the game.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Pretty tasteless thing to say, particularly as that chant was so often used as a reference to Hillsborough.

(Edited - hit the send comment button too early)
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Pretty tasteless thing to say, particularly as that chant was so often used as a reference to Hillsborough.

Its tasteless for me to suggest that Liverpool have a real habit of claiming victim status, as highlighted by there players wearing a T-shirt in support of a racist in Luis Suarez?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Its tasteless for me to suggest that Liverpool have a real habit of claiming victim status, as highlighted by there players wearing a T-shirt in support of a racist in Luis Suarez?
    Not really clear how this thread ended up here. Seems a bit of a shame.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Yes, when you invoke a phrase that has been associated with people victim-blaming Liverpool fans for Hillsborough. You can't just ignore some bits of context and highlight others when the chant goes "Always the victims, never your fault".
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Not really clear how this thread ended up here. Seems a bit of a shame.
    Jordan Henderson does himself credit when reflecting with AF about how the Suarez incident was handled poorly by Liverpool. Hindsight of course is everything, but even so, it's thoughtfully articulated.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Not sure why the program blanked out the names of the people who sent Anton abuse online.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will it stop John Terry from becoming a top level manager?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Excellent doc and encompassed several topics, without ever pushing a specific agenda. Very well done.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Have you heard what they sang to Man United?
  • Options
    Anyone with a bit of backbone in that Liverpool team would have refused to wear that t shirt. Why is Jamie Carragher still in a job? Spitting at a young kid but everyone seems to forget.
    100%
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Can we claim any moral high ground though? I remember sections of the Covered End singing ‘The Wheels of the Bus’ after that Palace fan was killed in the 90s. To my shame I probably sang along myself.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Yes and I'll thank you for not implying I think that's fair game.
  • Options
    Very good documentary.

Am surprised Ledley King wasnt approached for comment given Terry's previous behaviour at WHL and it all seemed to be brushed under the carpet.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Very good documentary.

Am surprised Ledley King wasnt approached for comment given Terry's previous behaviour at WHL and it all seemed to be brushed under the carpet.
    I must have missed that. Am not a fan of JT at all.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Very good documentary.

Do we know that he wasn't? It may be he was but didn't want to revisit the episode which would be understandable enough.
  • Options
    I am halfway through watching it now. At the time I thought JT was denying he actually said those words. I was thinking at the time maybe he said something that sounded similar. I was left with impression that the FA couldn't proove it. I am so fucking angey with JT. I hate racists.