Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tal Ben Haim

Comments

• Options
    (even though i slagged the idea off) i would take him so we atleast have two CB defenders. At least with the experience its a garuntee he can play.

2/3 more would be nice
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Correct me if I'm wrong Seth, but this opinion is based following first-hand conversations with Duchatelet's advisors in the CAFC boardroom.

In which case, it might not be an opinion you agree with, but its certainly one to at least consider.

Only once been in the boardroom, and yes one of the guys I spoke to was not especially explicit, but was there with Karel Fraeye and was a stats bloke, the conversation was wide ranging, but it was of the type that when you look at subsequent events what was said originally takes on a different aspect.
    I have also heard the 'results don't matter' angle put to me from a less attributable source, and there is Alex Dyers 'Geoffrey Howe' leaving interview to add to the mix.

I really hope I am wrong about where the priorities lie, and I suspect the truth is more muddied and organic than black and white, where expediency can push a set plan to the side.

I simply want to be sure that the whole Charlton Athletic playing enterprise is about trying to score goals, win matches, get points and climb the table when I attend the matches I have paid in advance for, but still there remains the nagging doubts or perhaps I am also engaged in the search for oohaah's lost mojo.

• Options
    seth plum said:

Correct me if I'm wrong Seth, but this opinion is based following first-hand conversations with Duchatelet's advisors in the CAFC boardroom.

In which case, it might not be an opinion you agree with, but its certainly one to at least consider.

Only once been in the boardroom, and yes one of the guys I spoke to was not especially explicit, but was there with Karel Fraeye and was a stats bloke, the conversation was wide ranging, but it was of the type that when you look at subsequent events what was said originally takes on a different aspect.
    I have also heard the 'results don't matter' angle put to me from a less attributable source, and there is Alex Dyers 'Geoffrey Howe' leaving interview to add to the mix.

I really hope I am wrong about where the priorities lie, and I suspect the truth is more muddied and organic than black and white, where expediency can push a set plan to the side.

I simply want to be sure that the whole Charlton Athletic playing enterprise is about trying to score goals, win matches, get points and climb the table when I attend the matches I have paid in advance for, but still there remains the nagging doubts or perhaps I am also engaged in the search the for oohaah's lost mojo.

What a load of bollocks !!
  • Options
    WHAT A SIGNING!

Can we pre-order our Premier League Season Tickets for the 2015/16 season now?
  • Options
    Not as slick as Sex Pistols admittedly.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Yann897 said:

seth plum said:

I simply want to be sure that the whole Charlton Athletic playing enterprise is about trying to score goals, win matches, get points and climb the table when I attend the matches I have paid in advance for, but still there remains the nagging doubts or perhaps I am also engaged in the search the for oohaah's lost mojo.

What a load of bollocks !!
    Never mind the bollocks, here's the (contribution to the wider debate which Yann and others don't like because it does not fit there world view).

We (might be) singing a player with great experience who played for Chelsea and man city who's not my ideal signing but will probably be good back up and somehow you've worked it out that we're not botherd about results ect because of this singing, why would rd spend 1m on the pitch 2.3m on a striker if that's the case that's why in my mind you are talking bollocks !
  • Options
    Yann I have not said that the player won't be any good, we will judge that in good time. I have opined that maybe results are less of a priority at Charlton than other aspects of the club, not that they don't matter at all. Read my posts again and maybe that point will infiltrate the mysterious corners of your mind.
  • Options
    I've just read through 128 comments dissing Tal Ben Haim.

Has he actually signed or not?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    he just fat and useless and cant run my mates boy is better and hes only 7
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I've just read through 128 comments dissing Tal Ben Haim.

Has he actually signed or not?

It could be the winger Tal Ben Haim.
    If it is we are in for a treat as i asked a Blackburn fan and he nodded in approval.
    You gotta just love CL
  • Options
    Would hate to be in the dock with a CL jury
  • Options
    I'm amazed at all these Blackburn and Bolton fans conveniently around in SE London.

I thought everybody round here supported Arsenal and Man Yoo.

• Options
    Seth, the SL geezer that added to your concern RE being a 'b' team.....is he not the fella that has just been relieved of his duties at SL?

Perhaps thats because he 'did an Airman' and spoke unofficially and out of turn.

If SL have x amount of experienced CBs, why not lend one (mates rates) to your 'sister' (brother?) club who have just one currently?
  • Options

Seth, the SL geezer that added to your concern RE being a 'b' team.....is he not the fella that has just been relieved of his duties at SL?

Perhaps thats because he 'did an Airman' and spoke unofficially and out of turn.

If SL have x amount of experienced CBs, why not lend one (mates rates) to your 'sister' (brother?) club who have just one currently?

Yes he has been let go at SL.
    As for lending a CB, absolutely it is a logical thing to do, a mates rates thing to do, and as it is only for one year it may even be a good thing to do whilst our younger players mature some more.
    However, seeing as how it is coming across as a make do and mend thing to do it would comfort me much more if it were a 'be competitive, keep clean sheets, be successful, win matches' thing to do.
    It's like pretending that your big brothers hand me downs really are your Sunday best.

• Options
    Yeh but has he signed yet?
  • Options
    We are not a dumping ground for useless Liege players!! Buyens almost made the Belgium World Cup Squad
  • Options
    Buyens is on loan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seth mate reckon you should slip your hand in your pocket and buy us, sound like you'd be a terrific owner can't wait for it
  • Options
    I'm doing Euromillions so there's a chance ;-)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

As for lending a CB, absolutely it is a logical thing to do, a mates rates thing to do, and as it is only for one year it may even be a good thing to do whilst our younger players mature some more.
    However, seeing as how it is coming across as a make do and mend thing to do it would comfort me much more if it were a 'be competitive, keep clean sheets, be successful, win matches' thing to do.
    It's like pretending that your big brothers hand me downs really are your Sunday best.

Well as it stands, perhaps he is our Sunday best.

Possibly this is because the champagne and caviar we have ordered is taking a bit longer then planned, so the waiter has brought bread and oil to keep us 'happy' until the main course arrives. This way, if the caviar is recalled, we dont go completely hungry.

Our star centre back is yet to sign (world cup? Wage dispute? Transfer fee?) and rather than enter preseason with 1 cb we have a 2nd senior cb to tide us over until plan b, c or d are signed
  • Options
    If he does sign he may well give us that nasty sly horrible side to our game we need ... Last year we were to nice ...

Viva TBH
  • Options
    Perhaps it is 'mend and make do' while we work on 'successful and competitive'
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It is perfectly conceivable that's exactly what it is. TBH has over 100 games experience of the Premier League, he has played in this division before too, he is a perfectly serviceable defender at the least - I can't see him being any worse than the likes of Cort or Wood and he is likely never intended as a long term solution in the first place. It's really only as negative as you want it to be frankly - are there better defenders out there? Indubitably. Are they likely to join Charlton? Probably not, for the most part and with the financial situation as it stands.

He is out of favour at Liege? So what? Cort would have walked into most of the defences of the bottom half of the table last season, but couldn't even get into a struggling Charlton team. Reza was a proven goalscorer with a good record at international level - still had to make do with a sub's role. Out of favour does NOT equal poor.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

seth plum said:

It is perfectly conceivable that's exactly what it is. TBH has over 100 games experience of the Premier League, he has played in this division before too, he is a perfectly serviceable defender at the least - I can't see him being any worse than the likes of Cort or Wood and he is likely never intended as a long term solution in the first place. It's really only as negative as you want it to be frankly - are there better defenders out there? Indubitably. Are they likely to join Charlton? Probably not, for the most part and with the financial situation as it stands.

He is out of favour at Liege? So what? Cort would have walked into most of the defences of the bottom half of the table last season, but couldn't even get into a struggling Charlton team. Reza was a proven goalscorer with a good record at international level - still had to make do with a sub's role. Out of favour does NOT equal poor.
    Yes point taken, I am certainly not automatically assuming he will be a useless footballer. I suppose we are seeing the network thing in action, and although it is interesting, it is making me shift uneasily from buttock to buttock nonetheless.

• Options
    seth plum said:

thenewbie said:

seth plum said:

Yes point taken, I am certainly not automatically assuming he will be a useless footballer. I suppose we are seeing the network thing in action, and although it is interesting, it is making me shift uneasily from buttock to buttock nonetheless.

Fair enough, and believe or not I actually agree to an extent - the network concept will fundamentally alter how Charlton operates as a club, if it has not already, and the potential is there for it to go very wrong. On the other hand I still wholeheartedly believe it could revolutionise the club and bring us forward faster than just money alone could ever do, and thus far while there have been missteps and undoubted underestimation of this league's demands I am confident that lessons have been learnt across the board (pun sort of intended.)

We will wait and see... but I am genuinely looking forward to seeing more signings and a strong 2014-15 season.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

seth plum said:

This is also very true, lets not forget YK has been 'out of favour' at a few clubs, Danny Mills (love him or hate him) was fished out of Norwich's reserves and went on to play (very well imo) for england in the world cup......lets not forget the players that we have deemed not good enough (or not competitive and successful) M.Turner and D.Shittu to name 2 CBs alone
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Is this fella going to be a first teamer or back up like wood?

Do people think we've signed a donut or a diamond?